Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

15 Urban Legends that Are Actually True

rashore

Here’s a little something that’ll keep you up at night. A few or more of us have heard about an urban legend, a story that is passed around from person to person and is passed off as a true story. But urban legends are just legends, right? Well, believe it or not, there are several urban legends that have in fact been proven to be true, and I’ll be sharing some of them with you. Here are 15 urban legends that are actually true: 

https://horror.media/15-urban-legends-that-are-actually-true

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A person notices a pain in their ear and the pain gets worse and worse. The person finds out that bugs have nested deep inside their skull. After a woman came home from vacationing in Peru, she started hearing scratching noises inside her head. She went to a doctor and the doctor discovered that a family of flesh eating maggots were nesting deep inside her ear canal. Fortunately, they were able to surgically remove the maggots before it could get any worse. 

@rashore  This sounds like bots, which are pretty common. They burrow in peoples skin all the time. 

• Like 4

#14 was actually a girl. She is on video acting very oddly before she disappeared (to later be found in the tank). They don't know how she got on the roof or into the tank which had a small opening. She was there for quite a while and the guests were complaining about the smell and *taste* of the tap water.  

Story:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam

Video: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s always sad when a loved one passes away, but what if they didn’t? The legend goes that they exhume someone they thought was dead only to find scratch marks inside among other signs of attempted escape. Premature burials were actually pretty common back in the 19th century, and several of these individuals were even embalmed or given an autopsy while they were still alive. To prevent this from happening again, they invented safety coffins which have a bell on the surface, which is probably where the phrase “saved by the bell” comes from.

I think that they also attribute "Dead Ringer" and the "Grave Yard Shift" to this.

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 1

Comment on #2.  Where I used to live there a huge old barn right by the road. It was falling apart, light showing from one side to the other, barely standing on it's own. A guy hung himself in the barn one night. Unfortunately he did it in October and everyone thought it was just a really cool Halloween decoration.

Until he really started to smell.

15. I remember reading this story in Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark called The Man In The Middle. The difference is that it occurs on a Subway being propped up by two guys cause he is actually dead from having a bullet in his head. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Clicked on the link but it said page not found.

I even tried to do a check in the search engine thinking maybe the link was just not working. It looks like the article was removed completely.

• The topic was locked