Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scots murder rates higher than London and N.Y

itsnotoutthere

Shock figures for Scots police division as murder rates higher than London and New York

A Scots police division has the highest murder rate in the UK, new figures have revealed.

There were 11 killings in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde in 2017-18 – a murder rate of 4.3 per 100,000 inhabitants, ahead of big cities such as London and New York

The most recent crime figures for Greater Manchester, covering 2017, had the highest murder rate in England at 2.8 per 100,000.

The soaring number of deaths in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde – which includes Paisley and Greenock – is set to cause concern when the figures are unveiled at the Scottish Police Authority board meeting this month.

Link :- https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/shock-figures-scots-police-division-12531385

Shocking.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 1

I'm not familiar with the area.. Is the Scots Police area of an area size like London and New York? Is it bigger, more rural, what? I'm a bit familiar with the cities, but have no clue about this area to understand the correlation.

16 minutes ago, rashore said:

I'm not familiar with the area.. Is the Scots Police area of an area size like London and New York? Is it bigger, more rural, what? I'm a bit familiar with the cities, but have no clue about this area to understand the correlation.

Scotland has 5.5 million people living in it and its a little bigger than West Virginia.

Its mostly pristine wilderness like Canada or Norway but with a handful of cities where most of the population live. There are remote villages and towns dotted about the place, some on islands, and a lot of wild men and wild women roaming around (a big like hill billies).

Scotland and the other home nations are made up of counties (a bit like smaller states) and each has its own police force. But we dont have an FBI because while each police force is separate they all communicate, coordinate, and work together to solve crimes.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Scotland has 5.5 million people living in it and its a little bigger than West Virginia.

Its mostly pristine wilderness like Canada or Norway but with a handful of cities where most of the population live. There are remote villages and towns dotted about the place, some on islands, and a lot of wild men and wild women roaming around (a big like hill billies).

Scotland and the other home nations are made up of counties (a bit like smaller states) and each has its own police force. But we dont have an FBI because while each police force is separate they all communicate, coordinate, and work together to solve crimes.

So the article is comparing all of Scotland against London and New York? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a part of Scotland or all of it.

6 minutes ago, rashore said:

So the article is comparing all of Scotland against London and New York? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a part of Scotland or all of it.

In all fairness, London has more people in it than Scotland.

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

There are remote villages and towns dotted about the place, some on islands, and a lot of wild men and wild women roaming around

:blink:

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Saru said:

:blink:

A wild man or woman of the Scottish Highlands is usually someone who is homeless, or someone who is a criminal, or someone who just decided to quit civilization for the wilderness.

As a Brit I have to admit that I have a Scottish Auntie and Uncle who used to be wild. They had a remote cottage which to this day still has no running water or electricity. As they were 30km from anything they never went shopping, they used to grow all their own vegetables, and for meat they used to hunt dear and rabbits.

They used to emerge out of the wilderness maybe 4 times a year, but moved down to England when it was time for my cousins to start school.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rashore said:

It's measuring the rate of murder per 100k people not total deaths, so the rate of 4.3 murders per 100,000 people is greater than the rates per 100,00 in NYC or London.

1 hour ago, rashore said:

The article is about the Renfrewshire and Inverclyde police division only. There are 13 police divisions in Scotland.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

A wild man or woman of the Scottish Highlands is usually someone who is homeless, or someone who is a criminal, or someone who just decided to quit civilization for the wilderness.

As a Brit I have to admit that I have a Scottish Auntie and Uncle who used to be wild. They had a remote cottage which to this day still has no running water or electricity. As they were 30km from anything they never went shopping, they used to grow all their own vegetables, and for meat they used to hunt dear and rabbits.

They used to emerge out of the wilderness maybe 4 times a year, but moved down to England when it was time for my cousins to start school.

What a load of complete and utter b******s. You're spouting English propaganda from the 1700s. That's how out of touch with reality you are. I've seen a few comments from you about Scotland that show you have absolutely no clue about the country. 

There are no doubt people living in the wilderness, but there are not 'many' and they're not 'criminals', and it's no different to those who decide to do so elsewhere in the UK.

Honestly, Scotland is basically the same as England, except poorer in a lot of places (places such as those mentioned in the article). There's practically no difference between the two cultures, as anyone who had spent time in both countries would know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep dont mess with an angry scot!!! Is it those Glasgow hooligans ? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Honestly, Scotland is basically the same as England, except poorer in a lot of places (places such as those mentioned in the article).

"Scottish cancer death rates 61% higher among poor"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41817830

"Almost a third of cancer patients in Scotland's most deprived areas were not diagnosed until the most advanced stage of the disease.

"A report said there was a big disparity between people in the most deprived areas compared to those in more affluent parts."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49333812

:(

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Shocking

It should be noted that this article has picked and chosen statistics in order to create a sensationalised headline about 'Scotland'.

Yes, it's true that these two areas have a higher murder rate than London or New York, but the sample size is only around 250,000 people. It'd be like doing a similar story about a single notorious area in London, instead of the entire city of millions, and then saying that England has a higher murder rate that Bolivia. 

The point I'm making is that you can go to almost any country and choose the worst parts to compare to 'New York' and 'London' and you'd find a similar result. Scotland does have a problem with violence and crime, especially in Central Scotland, but it's actually been getting better over the past decade, from what I gather from statistics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eldorado said:

"Scottish cancer death rates 61% higher among poor"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41817830

"Almost a third of cancer patients in Scotland's most deprived areas were not diagnosed until the most advanced stage of the disease.

"A report said there was a big disparity between people in the most deprived areas compared to those in more affluent parts."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49333812

:(

Yeah, we have a massive problem with poverty that affects so many different areas of society.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

What a load of complete and utter b******s. You're spouting English propaganda from the 1700s. That's how out of touch with reality you are. I've seen a few comments from you about Scotland that show you have absolutely no clue about the country. 

There are no doubt people living in the wilderness, but there are not 'many' and they're not 'criminals', and it's no different to those who decide to do so elsewhere in the UK.

Honestly, Scotland is basically the same as England, except poorer in a lot of places (places such as those mentioned in the article). There's practically no difference between the two cultures, as anyone who had spent time in both countries would know.

You just admitted there were people out there in the wilderness. Some are criminals, some like the wilderness, there a variety of reasons. But you know they are there too.

• Like 1

wow, so your gun control laws do not do crap to lower actual crime and murder,  AFAK murder victims do not give rats a$$ what weapons was used to kill them, but gun control works, lamo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

wow, so your gun control laws do not do crap to lower actual crime and murder,  AFAK murder victims do not give rats a$$ what weapons was used to kill them, but gun control works, lamo.

Guns dont kill people, mentally ill people pulling the trigger do.

If you take the guns away (as we did) then there are still mentally ill people wanting to kill people. And the really bad thing is, the freedom to go and enjoy a proper hunt has been taken away from everyone.

5 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Guns dont kill people, mentally ill people pulling the trigger do.

If you take the guns away (as we did) then there are still mentally ill people wanting to kill people. And the really bad thing is, the freedom to go and enjoy a proper hunt has been taken away from everyone.

dead people beg to differ,

The higher murder rate in Scotland is nothing new, and wherever the Scots have settled in the world, it has gone with them.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, aztek said:

325px-2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.jpg.6e93c6ceb05c3de1a1bb60e1d589cb01.jpg

Well yes it certainly seems to.

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

The higher murder rate in Scotland is nothing new, and wherever the Scots have settled in the world, it has gone with them.

The article is based on a cherry-picked statistic for one region over one specific time period, it is not representative of Scotland's overall homicide rate.

Also the claim that Scots bring a high homicide rate with them to other countries is absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saru said:

The article is based on a cherry-picked statistic for one region over one specific time period, it is not representative of Scotland's overall homicide rate.

Also the claim that Scots bring a high homicide rate with them to other countries is absolute nonsense.

That is how the high murder rate in NZ was explained by an academic a few years ago. At that stage, it was somewhat higher than in Australia, but all that may have changed.

12 hours ago, aztek said:

wow, so your gun control laws do not do crap to lower actual crime and murder

What are you basing this on ? I don't follow your reasoning.

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That is how the high murder rate in NZ was explained by an academic a few years ago.

What academic said this ?

I repeat - it is absolute and unequivocal nonsense.

10 minutes ago, Saru said:

What academic said this ?

I repeat - it is absolute and unequivocal nonsense.

This came up quite a few years ago, and was being used to explain what was seen as a high number of murders, in a quite small population, in NZ. New Zealand did have a lot of Scots migrate there, in the colonial era. I certainly can't remember who that academic was, but at the time it presumably fitted facts at his disposal.