Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scots murder rates higher than London and N.Y

itsnotoutthere

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

This came up quite a few years ago, and was being used to explain what was seen as a high number of murders, in a quite small population, in NZ. New Zealand did have a lot of Scots migrate there, in the colonial era. I certainly can't remember who that academic was, but at the time it presumably fitted facts at his disposal.

Without knowing who it was there's not much more I can say, however whatever it was he said, I very much doubt it was:

wherever the Scots have settled in the world, [a high murder rate] has gone with them.

If he is a genuine academic, then I think at the very least you've misinterpreted his conclusions.

18 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

You just admitted there were people out there in the wilderness. Some are criminals, some like the wilderness, there a variety of reasons. But you know they are there too.

The only people "out there in the wilderness" are walkers on long distance trails ;)      I'll be one of them in a couple of weeks time.

Occasionally someone from the cities will get out into the hills and spend a while living rough in bothies, but I've not had any reports of any this year. 

Just because someone prefers to live in a remote cottage and enjoy the peace, quiet and wildlife, doesn't make them a criminal ;)  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Saru said:

Without knowing who it was there's not much more I can say, however whatever it was he said, I very much doubt it was:

If he is a genuine academic, then I think at the very least you've misinterpreted his conclusions.

No, that was what was said, I am not au fait with where the Scots migrated to in numbers, but the claim was made that it wasn't just NZ where the same pattern has emerged. But I am talking about a claim made decades ago.

A google search brings up articles from the early 2000's talking about the much higher murder rate in Scotland than the rest of the UK, and Europe generally. I think historically that Scots have also been over-represented in comparison to overall  population numbers, in being members of the British Army. Perhaps because they aren't averse to a barney. But I also notice there are some ripping sorts among the Scottish lassies !

It never ceases to amaze me how people outside these islands view us, the big cities are pretty much the same all over, England is full of Scottish people, many English live in Scotland which isn't surprising when you look at the size of Britain, if you phone a call centre and it's based in the UK you'll usually hear a Scottish or Geordie voice because the English find it very dependable and honest i'm always revealed to hear a Scottish voice on the end of the phone, that's for everyone outside the UK, for the Jocks on this board your a bunch of wank3rs. :)  

Edited by hetrodoxly

2 hours ago, Essan said:

Just because someone prefers to live in a remote cottage and enjoy the peace, quiet and wildlife, doesn't make them a criminal

Unless you are Sawney Bean..... 

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

A google search brings up articles from the early 2000's talking about the much higher murder rate in Scotland than the rest of the UK, and Europe generally.

There was a problem with knife crime in Glasgow in the early 2000s, however things have improved significantly since then.

The number of homicides in Scotland has fallen to its joint lowest level since 1976, according to official figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46031234

By contrast, homicides in London have skyrocketed in recent years, so those articles from the 2000s are somewhat out of date.

In fact, the 2016 statistics actually show a higher homicide rate for England and Wales than for Scotland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate_by_decade

So successful is Scotland's approach to reducing knife crime in fact that police in London are now basing their own approach on Scotland's:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45572691

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Unless you are Sawney Bean..... 

I said nothing about caves :D 

• Haha 1

Australia has invaded Scotland!

11 hours ago, Habitat said:

The higher murder rate in Scotland is nothing new, and wherever the Scots have settled in the world, it has gone with them.

HO-LEE!  Hey Hab, UM is based in Scotland ya know.  Be careful :rofl:

7 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Australia has invaded Scotland!

HO-LEE!  Hey Hab, UM is based in Scotland ya know.  Be careful :rofl:

I have met some wonderful Scottish people. Also some real stinkers. Pretty much the way it is will all nationalities ! What I related was a "theory" advanced by some kind of academic, he may have been a criminologist, quite a while ago now, to explain what was a seemingly high murder rate in New Zealand. He claimed it was also the case in other parts of the world, where the Scots had emigrated. Whether it was 100% valid at that time, I don't know, but I don't recall it being challenged. Probably lost in the mists of time now, I can't track it down. What I am certain about, is the heavy over-representation in violent crime, in Australia, of one ethnic group that came out from Europe, after the second World War. I don't take that as a sign that that nationality are "bad eggs", I do take it as a sign that a lot of bad eggs high-tailed it out of Europe to escape the consequences of their collaboration with the Nazis, or regimes allied to the Nazis. The diaspora are not necessarily representative of the ancestral homeland.

• Like 1

The only thing that can stop a bad guy in a dress is a good guy in a dress.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:41 AM, Habitat said:

I have met some wonderful Scottish people. Also some real stinkers. Pretty much the way it is will all nationalities ! What I related was a "theory" advanced by some kind of academic, he may have been a criminologist, quite a while ago now, to explain what was a seemingly high murder rate in New Zealand. He claimed it was also the case in other parts of the world, where the Scots had emigrated. Whether it was 100% valid at that time, I don't know, but I don't recall it being challenged. Probably lost in the mists of time now, I can't track it down. What I am certain about, is the heavy over-representation in violent crime, in Australia, of one ethnic group that came out from Europe, after the second World War. I don't take that as a sign that that nationality are "bad eggs", I do take it as a sign that a lot of bad eggs high-tailed it out of Europe to escape the consequences of their collaboration with the Nazis, or regimes allied to the Nazis. The diaspora are not necessarily representative of the ancestral homeland.

Sounds like a pretty weak kind of statistic considering migrants were coming from all parts of the British Isles and after a generation or two were all intermingling.  Take for example the Hunter Region in NSW.  The main city is Newcastle surrounded by smaller towns called Cardiff, Swansea, Cessnock and Rutherford.  Most migrants went there for mining and as the names indicate, came from all parts of the UK.  Good luck to pick out the pure Scot.

7 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Sounds like a pretty weak kind of statistic considering migrants were coming from all parts of the British Isles and after a generation or two were all intermingling.  Take for example the Hunter Region in NSW.  The main city is Newcastle surrounded by smaller towns called Cardiff, Swansea, Cessnock and Rutherford.  Most migrants went there for mining and as the names indicate, came from all parts of the UK.  Good luck to pick out the pure Scot.

Not so sure about that, with NZ.