Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sydney Knifeman Taken Down by Bystanders

psyche101

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Police praise heroic bystanders who used chairs, a milk crate and an axe to stop Sydney knifeman

Police have praised the extraordinary bravery of bystanders who ran towards danger today, confronting a man armed with a knife in Sydney’s CBD and preventing potential tragedy.

An emergency situation unfolded near Wynyard Station at about 2pm when a man armed with a large knife allegedly stabbed a woman at a hotel on the corner of King and Clarence Streets.

The man, who appeared to be caucasian and aged in his 20s, fled on foot and attempted to stab “a number” of other people, police allege.

Police have also found the body of another woman in a nearby residential unit, with The Daily Telegraph reporting her throat was slit.

It was the selfless quick-thinking of several men who worked together to stop the alleged attacker that likely prevented further tragedy.

“Shoot me,” the man could be heard screaming as he raced eratically down the street. “Shoot me in the ****ing head. Shoot me! Allahu Akbar.”

Without hesitation, one man armed with nothing but a wicker chair from a nearby cafe slowly approached the alleged attacker.

One dead, one injured. And just released to the streets a week before. This guy should not have been amongst the public. What should we do with lost causes like this? 

Just be glad he didn't have an armalite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Just be glad he didn't have an armalite.

Very glad. 

The death toll would have been very high had that been the case 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Very glad. 

The death toll would have been very high had that been the case 

Fortunately, your nutters are rank amateurs with no underworld connections, knowledge or ability to purchase guns on the black market. Even a stolen or otherwise obtained legal bolt action Lee Enfield could wreak havoc used in the sniper roll.

• Like 1

Escapee from a psych facility, they said last night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Fortunately, your nutters are rank amateurs with no underworld connections, knowledge or ability to purchase guns on the black market. Even a stolen or otherwise obtained legal bolt action Lee Enfield could wreak havoc used in the sniper roll.

Huh its almost like having to take an extra step to secure a firearm saved lives.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

He was mentally unstable, homeless and a know heavy drug offender. Complete loss. One wonders what we should do with such people. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Huh its almost like having to take an extra step to secure a firearm saved lives.

It's suppose to, anywhere. Spotting an otherwise normal chap with no record, about to go off the deep end is the hard part. Government willful disregard for any responsibility for managing and monitoring the chronically and dangerously mentally ill, exacerbates the problem. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, psyche101 said:

He was mentally unstable, homeless and a know heavy drug offender. Complete loss. One wonders what we should do with such people. 

Institutionalization.

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

EB1Hq2MU4AUfyca?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Institutionalization.

I really wonder. Could we build enough and would that help the situation or push it to one side? 

But then again one wonders how one can have an expensive drug habit and be homeless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I really wonder. Could we build enough and would that help the situation or push it to one side? 

But then again one wonders how one can have an expensive drug habit and be homeless. 

The needs and safety of the public outweigh any idealistic philosophical right of an individual to an illegal lifestyle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

The needs and safety of the public outweigh any idealistic philosophical right of an individual to an illegal lifestyle. 

Oh I agree. I just wonder what the best way to wipe out crazy is. Again, he was a strange loner who had rambled nonsense about Islam. By now one would think that's becoming something of an obvious sign. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I'd personally perfer to cure the poor b*******.  Is there anything more dehumanizing than a malfunctioning brain?  A pity it is such a fraught area of research.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Oh I agree. I just wonder what the best way to wipe out crazy is. Again, he was a strange loner who had rambled nonsense about Islam. By now one would think that's becoming something of an obvious sign. 

It's worse here. It makes no sense to allow such individuals to walk the streets. It's inhumane and potentially lethal.

Australia has about 15 registered firearms per a hundred people. There's no way to know how many illegal ones there are but lower end estimates are about four hundred thousand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_c

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I'd personally perfer to cure the poor b*******.  Is there anything more dehumanizing than a malfunctioning brain?  A pity it is such a fraught area of research.

Indeed, its obviously a serious mental problem. Probably too much for his family, but I wonder if there is anywhere they could actually have turned to? Nothing seems a problem until it is. 

• Like 2

These people have been turned out on the street, rather than be institutionalized, and the body count says it is a bad idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's worse here. It makes no sense to allow such individuals to walk the streets. It's inhumane and potentially lethal.

To themselves and the public. 

We would need quite some resources to attach this one I would think 

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Australia has about 15 registered firearms per a hundred people. There's no way to know how many illegal ones there are but lower end estimates are about four hundred thousand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_c

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing

Thank goodness he couldn't get one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Habitat said:

These people have been turned out on the street, rather than be institutionalized, and the body count says it is a bad idea.

Agreed, but the bill would be massive. Nobody is footing it, so this happens. 

Quite a conundrum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

To themselves and the public. 

We would need quite some resources to attach this one I would think 

Thank goodness he couldn't get one. 

Yeah. Australia has a lot more guns than I realized. If you want a jaw dropper, look at the chart at how many legal unregistered firearms WE have. Think of the monumental task of getting a handle on that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yeah. Australia has a lot more guns than I realized. If you want a jaw dropper, look at the chart at how many legal unregistered firearms WE have. Think of the monumental task of getting a handle on that.

That's why the people have to be united. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

One dead, one injured. And just released to the streets a week before. This guy should not have been amongst the public. What should we do with lost causes like this? 

I was going to say sometimes I feel like we need to reintroduce the Death Penalty.  But then it just opens a whole new debate on whether or not to have it and causes too much emotion for people.  

On the other hand, why should Taxpayers fund this person to be kept in prison for the rest of their natural life......  

I really don't know what the right answer is for these types of people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, pixiii said:

I was going to say sometimes I feel like we need to reintroduce the Death Penalty.  But then it just opens a whole new debate on whether or not to have it and causes too much emotion for people.  

On the other hand, why should Taxpayers fund this person to be kept in prison for the rest of their natural life......  

I really don't know what the right answer is for these types of people.

I hear you, I'm torn on the subject too. I feel exactly the same. Its a tough question. 

2 hours ago, pixiii said:

That is a popular misconception.  In the USA due to the appeal process, it is actually more expensive to execute people than keep them incarcerated, for example.  I am inclined to agree with Frederick II of Prussia, a fellow hardly known for his overly liberal attitudes, that the death penatly is too merciful for some.  The real problem is when we let people out after they have been institutionalized.  Oddly, Norway's insufficiently punitive regime of reforming prisoners has been world class at ending recidivism, but ordinary citizens don't like it much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fuel to fire, fire to fuel..  it's all relative, relatively speaking... 

~

• Like 1