Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do You Remember the First Time?

rashore

The first stretch – seven miles from Belfast to Lisburn - of Northern Ireland’s M1 motorway was opened at 6 am on Tuesday, 10 July 1962. For the official opening, 14 cars, lorries and motorbikes were lined up – Grand Prix style – at the Donegall Road entrance in Belfast. 

Though father and daughter William and Angela Lemon had arrived early to get on the front row, it was Belfast man Bob McFall who clinched pole position. And when the road was declared open, Bob McFall, on his 11-year-old motorbike, became the first person to drive/ride on the M1.

But we’re not here to talk about Bob McFall.

http://forteanireland.blogspot.com/2019/08/do-you-remember-first-time.html

Ahh, I love these stories about ghost hitchhikers.

This brought to my mind the multiple stories of taxi drivers after the Japanese tsunami a few years back. Taxi drivers would pickup passengers for destinations in almost totally devastated areas. The drivers even asked 'are you sure that's where you want to go?'. All would seem normal and the passenger would then appear confused and vanish before arriving at the destination.

I even remember a taxi driver saying a woman passenger in a trembly voice asked him if she was dead.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2

I find the hitchiker stories fun too. Years ago I used to frequent the Willowbrook Ballroom, and everyone would tease and joke about meeting Resurrection Mary. No one ever met her, but it was still fun to spook each other with the stories.

• Like 2

A young woman was walking on the shoulder of the road in the direction of the City,” he said. “She did not ‘thumb’ but half turned as if to suggest: ‘Would you stop, but I’m not going to ask you.’

http://forteanireland.blogspot.com/2019/08/do-you-remember-first-time.html?m=1

Someone is travelling along a motorway (believe the speed limit back then was higher than 70 )  and this guy reckons he could tell that she was suggesting he stop and he reckons he could read her mind too?

No way could he tell what she was thinking while he was driving along a MOTORWAY  late at night.

An absolute made up story, purely for the reason above.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here in America we have the same type of stories. The most famous is Resurrection Mary.

Do You Remember the First Time?

It was summer and we were young. The romance was relatively short-lived...

Oh.

Different topic... Pls disregard.

As for ghost hitchhikers: Fun stories!

The closest similar thing for me was a ghost train at a Cub Scout camp. There was some backstory... A few of us snuck out around midnight and went to the tracks, it was creepy and we had spooked ourselves out. But, alas, no train.

The scarier thing for me was waking up somehow the wrong way in my sleeping bag and wriggling around thinking I was going to suffocate before struggling free. Lol :w00t: 

• Haha 4

On 8/15/2019 at 1:59 AM, papageorge1 said:

*snip*

I even remember a taxi driver saying a woman passenger in a trembly voice asked him if she was dead.

The most likely explanations for these are hallucinations caused by psychological trauma/grief. 

I remember this also occurs more frequently after the death of a spouse/sibling etc. and can actually help with recovery/as a coping mechanism. Obviously it can become detrimental also.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

The most likely explanations for these are hallucinations caused by psychological trauma/grief. 

I remember this also occurs more frequently after the death of a spouse/sibling etc. and can actually help with recovery/as a coping mechanism. Obviously it can become detrimental also.

You think that is the most likely explanation for the taxi drivers claims? I'm going to have disagree once again.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:29 AM, papageorge1 said:

Ahh, I love these stories about ghost hitchhikers.

This brought to my mind the multiple stories of taxi drivers after the Japanese tsunami a few years back. Taxi drivers would pickup passengers for destinations in almost totally devastated areas. The drivers even asked 'are you sure that's where you want to go?'. All would seem normal and the passenger would then appear confused and vanish before arriving at the destination.

Interesting. Reminds me of the 9/11 sightings. Devastation on a mass scale seems to attract these things.

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

You think that is the most likely explanation for the taxi drivers claims? I'm going to have disagree once again.

You need to look into it and the number of drivers who claimed these things. It was very few when I last checked. 

29 minutes ago, Timothy said:

You need to look into it and the number of drivers who claimed these things. It was very few when I last checked. 

I have looked into it before. I'm not sure of the number but I realize this was not a mass event but that doesn't affect my position on the key point.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I have looked into it before. I'm not sure of the number but I realize this was not a mass event but that doesn't affect my position on the key point.

I’m not sure there’s anything at all that would affect your position on almost all things my good sir! 

You have strong belief. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Timothy said:

I’m not sure there’s anything at all that would affect your position on almost all things my good sir! 

You have strong belief. 

That's a cliché I don't buy. I judge each situation on its own arguments is my view.

I think I am more variable than you in views actually.

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That's a cliché I don't buy. I judge each situation on its own arguments is my view.

I think I am more variable than you in views actually.

You could start a poll on it? 

Just now, Timothy said:

You could start a poll on it? 

Hah, not with the dominant culture on this particular forum. If we could cross-section the whole world then, yes.

You have always been an unvarying naysayer to everything but you call me predictable.

15 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Hah, not with the dominant culture on this particular forum. If we could cross-section the whole world then, yes.

You have always been an unvarying naysayer to everything but you call me predictable.

I ask for evidence and you or any other believers cannot provide it.

I’m not a naysayer, you’re a naygiver.

And you’re a nay-believer without any real evidence. 

I’m open to anything, it just has to make sense. 

Edited by Timothy
Typo.

10 hours ago, Timothy said:

I ask for evidence and you or any other believers cannot provide it.

And I consider honest testimony to be evidence to be considered. And us believers are well aware we are just getting a person's best understanding. We analyze the quantity, quality and consistency of said testimonies and form our judgment. To you, this is not even evidence apparently. So we are stuck in this loop!

We can only take responsibility for our own view of reality not someone else's. 

Edited by papageorge1

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

And I consider honest testimony to be evidence to be considered. And us believers are well aware we are just getting a person's best understanding. We analyze the quantity, quality and consistency of said testimonies and form our judgment. To you, this is not even evidence apparently. So we are stuck in this loop!

We can only take responsibility for our own view of reality not someone else's. 

Humans are extremely fallible. That is demonstrated continuously.

Proper tangible evidence of anything of this sort has never been produced. 

And with the sheer amount of dash cams etc. these days, you’d expect the reports to increase too. Drivers stopping and talking to invisible beings etc. 

Sure some would choose not to report themselves, but any level headed sane individual would be having a chat to their doctor if they experienced something like this. 

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

Humans are extremely fallible. That is demonstrated continuously.

Human testimony is reliable more than it is fallible.

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

Proper tangible evidence of anything of this sort has never been produced. 

Well temporary phenomena does not lend itself normally to permanent tangible evidence although I think investigators and on rare occasions regular people record events. 

23 hours ago, Timothy said:

I’m open to anything, it just has to make sense. 

A telling comment. You are open to anything that behaves according to your preconceptions of what is possible, or plausible. Anything outside that, you will studiously ignore ?

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

A telling comment. You are open to anything that behaves according to your preconceptions of what is possible, or plausible. Anything outside that, you will studiously ignore ?

You can change me. I’ve changed a lot.

I used to believe, the believers made me a sceptic.

I could change back. I just need more than the regular bullish!t.

Edit: ’A telling comment’ lol FFS look through my posting history. You’ve been around long enough to know I don’t just post here to sh!t on believers. Work it out and get back to me if you have anything substantial to offer. 

Still would be happy to have a drink and chat if we're in the same area. :tu::st

Edited by Timothy
Edit.

I just need more than the regular bullish!t.

How can you tell what is bullship or not ? If you have a template in your head of what is possible ? Lots of people around here seem to think that because something hasn't been pinned down, it can't be real. But that assumes it is just another mundane phenomenon.

Just now, Habitat said:

How can you tell what is bullship or not ? If you have a template in your head of what is possible ? Lots of people around here seem to think that because something hasn't been pinned down, it can't be real. But that assumes it is just another mundane phenomenon.

Well, look at it this way:

I used to be more open to ET visiting Earth and ghosts and the paranormal etc.

As a kid/teenager/young adult.

But the believers lacking arguments and the logic of scepticism has changed my views. The evidence believers rely on is heavily lacking.

Sceptical scrutiny has not been defeated with all of these claims over the 10+ years I’ve been here. 

the logic of scepticism has changed my views.

There is no logic in assuming that something that always evades scrutiny, is impossible, does not exist. is just a convenient excuse. That is the logic I see on display here, from people who call themselves sceptics, but are really just people trying to have a prejudice confirmed. True science makes no such assumption.