Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The face of a Scottish druid recreated

Still Waters

The face of a woman believed to have been a Scottish druid has been recreated by a student from the University of Dundee.

The woman could have been more than 60 years old when she died during the Iron Age, some time between 55BC and AD400.

Nicknamed Hilda, she is thought to have lived near Stornoway.

She is thought to be of Celtic origin and her skull now resides in the Anatomy Collection at the University of Edinburgh.

The skull was first presented to the Phrenological Society of Edinburgh in 1833, described as one of the six "Druids of the Hebrides".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49297680

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

People really aged hard.  That was a rugged world for sure.  I wish they would do this with more ancient skulls.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

_108304241_hilda.jpg

Wow, she looks a lot older than 60. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Life was certainly harder back then... 

I think I would have traded my wife in when she got older back in the day for a younger model. 

• Haha 3

It's deeply fascinating to see recreated ancient faces. Almost like visual time traveling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Life was certainly harder back then... 

I think I would have traded my wife in when she got older back in the day for a younger model. 

If Hllda is anything to go by, you would be better off trading her in for a goat.

• Haha 2

Student was very accurate in depicting dead person :D Looks seem to fit. She could assume that Hilda was alive and place some life in her.

12 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The face of a woman believed to have been a Scottish druid has been recreated by a student from the University of Dundee.

The woman could have been more than 60 years old when she died during the Iron Age, some time between 55BC and AD400.

Nicknamed Hilda, she is thought to have lived near Stornoway.

She is thought to be of Celtic origin and her skull now resides in the Anatomy Collection at the University of Edinburgh.

The skull was first presented to the Phrenological Society of Edinburgh in 1833, described as one of the six "Druids of the Hebrides".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49297680

This really a good article and I have enjoyed reading it. But facial reconstruction is not an exact science, in fact it is not admissible in courts of law. There are many factors that go into reconstruction, being able to perform a DNA test will greatly help in identifying skin color and other factors that help identify place of origin. 

Here a link that go's into more detail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensic_facial_reconstruction