Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Giant' praying mantis rides on NYC metro

Still Waters

Delays, service changes and humongous bugs, oh my!

The MTA had one more pest plaguing the subway system on Tuesday when a massive praying mantis joined commuters for a ride.

City Councilman Keith Powers was on the uptown 6 train when another rider warned him he was sitting dangerously close to the long-legged insect.

The lawmaker quickly took cover — but not before tweeting a photo showing the enormous bug clinging to the subway car wall and staring back with its cold black eyes.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/14/gigantic-praying-mantis-terrorizes-6-train/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7358307/Gigantic-praying-mantis-terrorizes-NYC-subway-riders-hitches-ride-6-train.html

• Haha 1

my goodness.. that is HUGE :o 

Wait.. what was it feeding on to get THAT big ? They normally eat other insects, but there mus have been an absolutely enormous supply of them in the tube system for it to get THAT big :o 

Edited by RoofGardener

10 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

my goodness.. that is HUGE :o 

Wait.. what was it feeding on to get THAT big ? They normally eat other insects, but there mus have been an absolutely enormous supply of them in the tube system for it to get THAT big :o 

In NYC? Bedbugs and cockroaches.

Actually.. I'm a bit suspicious of this. The 'mantis is TOO big. And none of the people interviewed stated what happened to it. Did they call the conductor at the next stop ? Did it run away ? Did it eat anybody ? 

Also.. in the pictures.. it doesn't really look like a real praying mantis.. more like a plastic model ? 

:lol:

"frightened"

It's harmless, I must say that is the biggest one of this type I've seen, usually the biggest ones are those that are superbly camouflaged, looks more like leaves on branches than a living insect. 

~

Looks kinda fake. That's a Chinese Mantis. They're the largest in the states but normally never grow longer than 5" or so. Plus the entire exoskeleton and folded wings lack any detail you'd see on a real animal. Either photoshopped to hell or fake. 

• Thanks 1

To be fair, real mantises most times looks fake as hell...  This is Bruce... 

[00.04:19]

~