Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Shrooborb

Why don't people allergic to water die?

Recommended Posts

 
Scholar4Truth

I know some people who can't even drink water at all cause it causes them to have a bad gag reflex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
Posted (edited)

For those interested....

"Here's What Happens When You Develop an Allergy to Water"

At Science Alert: https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-happens-if-you-develop-an-allergy-to-water

 

"Living with Aquagenic Urticaria"

At People Magazine: https://people.com/celebrity/alexandra-allen-breaks-out-in-hives-when-exposed-to-h2o/

 

Aquagenic Urticaria at MD Health: https://www.md-health.com/Aquagenic-Urticaria.html"]

Aquagenic Urticaria at Rare Diseases dot info: https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/10901/aquagenic-urticaria

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shrooborb

But how do their immune systems ''know'' if they just drank plain water versus water with a lot of stuff dissolved in it (tea, milk, cola etc)?

 

For example a girl can't drink even a sip of plain water or she goes into shock, but she drinks several glasses of tea, milk and orange juice a day with little to no effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iilaa'mpuul'xem

I would hate to be allergic to alcohol. 

I could manage no water but life would not be worth living, no lager or red wine.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
Posted (edited)

The understanding is they don't have a true allergy to water because they'd be dead (92% water in blood), rather it's thought it's a reaction to a chemical in the water or in the skin.

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/10901/aquagenic-urticaria

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shrooborb
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

The understanding is they don't have a true allergy to water because they'd be dead (92% water in blood), rather it's thought it's a reaction to a chemical in the water or in the skin.

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/10901/aquagenic-urticaria

It can't be chemicals since they still react to distilled water. The chemical in the skin doesn't explain why this girl goes into shock from drinking plain water https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE+CUP+OF+WATER+COULD+KILL+LITTLE+HEIDI%3B+Girl's+deadly+allergy...-a061152595

 

Your bloodstream and throat aren't skin. 

Edited by Shrooborb
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
Just now, Shrooborb said:

Your bloodstream and throat aren't skin. 

Your bloodstream goes to the dermis which is part of your skin.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I would hate to be allergic to alcohol. 

I could manage no water but life would not be worth living, no lager or red wine.

We're all alergic to it in certain amounts.. i have to complain to the store next time , damn i got really sick from  the whiskey you are selling i want my money back.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman

I don't buy it. You can't be allergic to something your are mostly made of.

There is something else at play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shrooborb
13 minutes ago, moonman said:

I don't buy it. You can't be allergic to something your are mostly made of.

There is something else at play.

 

Why do you think they only react to drinking plain water but not milk? Milk is 90% water. it can't be chemicals in the water they are reacting to as it says even lab grade distilled water still sets off a reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman
17 hours ago, Shrooborb said:

Why do you think they only react to drinking plain water but not milk? Milk is 90% water. it can't be chemicals in the water they are reacting to as it says even lab grade distilled water still sets off a reaction.

I don't know. Absolutely pure water is hard to come by in nature and the water in our bodies isn't pure by any means, I wonder if salt water sets them off as well.

When you dissolve things in water, do they bond with the water molecules? I suppose unbonded water molecules could be the cause. Mix the water with anything that bonds to the molecules, no more issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
stereologist

Is that article linked to in the OP real? Here is what it states.

Quote

She cannot DRINK it, BATHE in it or go out in the rain and SPLASH in it. 

But the linked to article about the disease states this:

Quote

Aquagenic urticaria is a rare condition in which urticaria (hives) develop rapidly after the skin comes in contact with water, regardless of its temperature.

One place claims drink it is a problem and another claims it is just contact with the skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist

Here is Heidi as an adult.

https://socialnewsdaily.com/75296/woman-possesses-fatal-water-allergy/

That's the same text isn't it?

Some ideas on what it is are in this article.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160915-the-woman-who-is-allergic-to-water

Quote

Technically, the condition isn’t actually an allergy at all, since it’s likely caused by an immune reaction to something within the body, rather than an over-reaction to something foreign, such as pollen or peanuts.

Quote

And while surviving with the condition is not a problem, enduring everyday life is another matter. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shrooborb

Any idea why milk is OK for her but a single sip of plain water sends her into shock? milk is like 90% water so if she had the typical antibodies against water they'd activate instantly inside her body, not when oral water is introduced as they 'grab' molecules at the molecular level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
On 8/17/2019 at 6:28 AM, Shrooborb said:

Any idea why milk is OK for her but a single sip of plain water sends her into shock? milk is like 90% water so if she had the typical antibodies against water they'd activate instantly inside her body, not when oral water is introduced as they 'grab' molecules at the molecular level.

It isn't an allergic reaction. It's an auto immune reaction as mention in the following link.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160915-the-woman-who-is-allergic-to-water

It isn't clear why water with things in it is safer than water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.