Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

"Gay Cake" row goes to European Courts

104 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

RabidMongoose
4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

< sigh> OK then, the shop owners are members of Britain First, and the customers where Muslim, wanting a cake to celebrate Immigration ? 

In the UK no legislation has been introduced to protect a persons political beliefs.

So this would be for the Courts to set a legal precedent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
29 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

A Christian making a gay themed cake and a Muslim selling alcohol are in essence no different. Neither action directly conflicts with their religions, since they aren't drinking alcohol or engaging in gay sex.

Utter nonsense, ask the Muslim to write a label and attach it to a bottle of wine for you that says 'Gay Pride' and see what he says, though i've seen stories of Muslims refusing to sell alcohol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
17 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Utter nonsense, ask the Muslim to write a label and attach it to a bottle of wine for you that says 'Gay Pride' and see what he says, though i've seen stories of Muslims refusing to sell alcohol. 

Maybe, but the alcohol example shows that their actions regarding homosexuals would have little to do with religion and lots to do with their general opinion of gay people. From a strictly religious point of view, they aren't violating anything, since they aren't the ones committing what they see as a sin. It's just because they consider it an affront to their personal beliefs, both Christians and Muslims, that they would feel they can lean on religion to deny service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Maybe, but the alcohol example shows that their actions regarding homosexuals would have little to do with religion and lots to do with their general opinion of gay people. From a strictly religious point of view, they aren't violating anything, since they aren't the ones committing what they see as a sin. It's just because they consider it an affront to their personal beliefs, both Christians and Muslims, that they would feel they can lean on religion to deny service.

You dont seem to realise that in Christianity and Islam its not just merely a sin, its an abomination. As such it gets an odd response out of religious people like gasps, horrors, what is this....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters

In my opinion the whole thing has got out of hand. Ok so the guy was annoyed at Ashers for refusing his request, but that's where it should have ended. He should have just tried another bakery, instead over 5 years later he's still 'fighting' and we're still reading about it in the news. I feel he's working from his principles instead of his head. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, RoofGardener said:

ROFL... tell that to the "progressives." :P 

Try telling it to the Religious Right, but their tiny dinosaur-like little Bible-literalist minds probably wouldn't be able to comprehend such things.

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
On 8/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

The ignorance of the above shows me that it would be pointless to put forth any argument. If you think they need 'society to revolve around them', that there is no basis for their desire to be 'accepted' and 'validated' (accepted being a fundamental right granted to them and all law-abiding citizens), that it is a 'lifestyle choice' or even that you think they are making it 'your' problem, then you are simply one of the most ignorant and misinformed - or outright uninformed - people I've seen on these forums that wasn't a fundamentalist evangelical. 

The fact that you're characterising being gay as some sort of a choice, after the replies that already exist in this thread, makes me also believe that you're at least partly trolling. 2019 and people still think this is up for debate. I mean for ****s sake man.

You're making the mistake of taking anything RabidMongoose says seriously. He just deliberately sets out to wind up "liberals". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
1 minute ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

You're making the mistake of taking anything RabidMongoose says seriously. He just deliberately sets out to wind up "liberals". 

Yeah, I'm beginning to catch on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
3 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Try telling it to the Religious Right, but their tiny dinosaur-like little Bible-literalist minds probably wouldn't be able to comprehend such things.

The "religious right" ? Surely they carry Korans, not Bibles ? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

Couldn't the bakery lace the cake with a chemical that straightens everyone out?

 

 

Edit:

Sorry.  I'll get me coat....

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skliss
14 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

A Christian making a gay themed cake and a Muslim selling alcohol are in essence no different. Neither action directly conflicts with their religions, since they aren't drinking alcohol or engaging in gay sex.

Except that my friend who lives in a very Muslim area of the U.S. has said that when she's in a store and the check out clerk is Muslim, if she buys a pork product they have to have another cashier come over and switch with the Muslim cashier to  scan the product and then they switch back. Same with alcohol, etc.She said it holds up the lines and is a big pain in the a$$. And there are other accommodations like that made all the time in her area.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, skliss said:

Except that my friend who lives in a very Muslim area of the U.S. has said that when she's in a store and the check out clerk is Muslim, if she buys a pork product they have to have another cashier come over and switch with the Muslim cashier to  scan the product and then they switch back. Same with alcohol, etc.She said it holds up the lines and is a big pain in the a$$. And there are other accommodations like that made all the time in her area.

That's because the thing about pork is specifically about touching it. I highly doubt your friend saw the same with alcohol, because they are only prohibited from drinking it. There are thousands of shops here where Muslims sell alcohol, which is why my point is valid.

Does the Bible say Christians aren't allowed to touch a 'gay cake'? 

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's because the thing about pork is specifically about touching it.

But surely it's sealed within packaging? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

But surely it's sealed within packaging? 

That's no guarantee that during the manufacturing process there would be no contamination of the outside of the packaging. You've never bought meat and had the juice leak out? I know it's happened to me and I know that the outside of packaging is hardly absent of the meat it contains in the first place.

I doubt all Muslims would be quite so cautious - I've personally bought bacon from Muslim shop owners on numerous occasions - but to some it would be akin to having a germaphobe-type mentality when it comes to handling pork products.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome

Would the same argument be able to be used by vegetarians or Vegans? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
36 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Would the same argument be able to be used by vegetarians or Vegans? 

I doubt it, though some might feel that way. Like alcohol and Muslims, vegans aren't prohibited by their beliefs from touching meat (though this can no doubt vary from person to person, since it isn't a universally uniformed doctrine). They're just prohibited from eating it and, I think, using animal products. With Muslims and pork it's specifically about touching it in any way. 

I should note that this is actually also a Christian belief, though I guess the smell of bacon was just too much for them to hold onto their principles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, acute said:

Couldn't the bakery lace the cake with a chemical that straightens everyone out?

Edit:

Sorry.  I'll get me coat....

They could market it as a `gay conversation` cake.

Sorry, I couldn't resist lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I doubt it, though some might feel that way. Like alcohol and Muslims, vegans aren't prohibited by their beliefs from touching meat (though this can no doubt vary from person to person, since it isn't a universally uniformed doctrine). They're just prohibited from eating it and, I think, using animal products. With Muslims and pork it's specifically about touching it in any way. 

I should note that this is actually also a Christian belief, though I guess the smell of bacon was just too much for them to hold onto their principles.

In the Old Testament is says swine is unclean.

Then in the New Testament Christ says unclean meat can only corrupt if the man is weak in the head. So that was seen as a signal that it was okay to eat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phaeton80
On 8/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, OverSword said:

I wonder why they didn't go to a Muslim bakery with this request?  

My opinion:  If you've ever known a baker, and this is especially true for Cake Decorators, you know these people are artist's.  Decorating cakes is an art.  Nobody should be required to take on an art project by the government and they should not have to give more reason than I don't want to.

 

What a pain in the ass.  I'll bet you he targeted this bakery knowing full well the religious people that run it would decline him.  I'll also wager there is a bakery within 100 meters of that bakery that will make it.

 

What a ridiculous comment.

I wonder how you would have reacted if it was indeed a Muslim bakery who refused service like that. Somehow Id wager you wouldnt have been defending them like you did here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phaeton80

On a more general note; qaint we should all respect the LHBTQ community.. but the LHBTQ community herself immediately attacks anyone who doesnt comply with their desires / needs.

They could just respect the owners religious views and simply ask a different bakery.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, Phaeton80 said:

On a more general note; qaint we should all respect the LHBTQ community.. but the LHBTQ community herself immediately attacks anyone who doesnt comply with their desires / needs.

They could just respect the owners religious views and simply ask a different bakery.

The motivation to take the cake shop to Court sounds to me more like a bruised ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phaeton80

Yeah well, their ego bruises extremely quickly. Lets not beat around the bush here, the LHBTQ community is very aware their 'plight' is 'hot', trending. They know full well everyone even remotely unaccomodating to their desires and needs will get outcast, will get an extreme lashback.

Im pretty fed up with that behaviour.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
2 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Yeah well, their ego bruises extremely quickly. Lets not beat around the bush here, the LHBTQ community is very aware their 'plight' is 'hot', trending. They know full well everyone even remotely unaccomodating to their desires and needs will get outcast, will get an extreme lashback.

Im pretty fed up with that behaviour.

Just do and say what you want (so long as its not illegal) and let them get hysterical over it. Most people arent with them. Only a quarter of the UK population are atheists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

If they get upset unless they get everything their own way then thats their problem not yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phaeton80
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Just do and say what you want (so long as its not illegal) and let them get hysterical over it. Most people arent with them. Only a quarter of the UK population are atheists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

If they get upset unless they get everything their own way then thats their problem not yours.

 

Wish it were as simple as that.. Because as I said, its popular to viciously condemn anyone who doesnt facilitate their needs and desires in full. The masses have been so inundated with this BS that when you dont support all out 'gaylove' in the streets, youre a bigot, a homobasher, a smallminded backward religious nut.

Im not down with that.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Wish it were as simple as that.. Because as I said, its popular to viciously condemn anyone who doesnt facilitate their needs and desires in full. The masses have been so inundated with this BS that when you dont support all out 'gaylove' in the streets, youre a bigot, a homobasher, a smallminded backward religious nut.

Im not down with that.

If someone has a bad attitude towards you in life then just wind them up so they get madder and madder.

Watch Trump, he is an expert at it lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.