Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New sensory organ discovered in the skin

Eldorado

"A sensory organ has been discovered in the skin that is able to detect painful mechanical damage such as pricks and impacts. The organ is composed of glia cells with multiple long protrusions that collectively make up a mesh-like organ within the skin.

"The discovery by researchers at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden was published today in Science."

Full short report at Biocompare dot com: https://www.biocompare.com/Life-Science-News/363589-Mesh-Like-Organ-in-Skin-Senses-Pain/

The Research Paper at Science Mag: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6454/695?intcmp=trendmd-sci

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Extraterrestrial origin bioalien implant ...

~

I'm curious how this will play a role with congenital analgesia and whether such disorders will be easier to evaluate with the presence/absence of these newly found 'Schwann' cells. ^_^

• Like 1

I have a pain perception issue. This is very interesting. It would explain a lot about a lot of different disorders if it pans out.

17 hours ago, Yoyo1 said:

I wonder how many mice were put through agony on the off-chance the research might have some sort of benefit for humans.

Probably lots less than are exterminated with feet, traps, baseball bats, snakes and flying or hunting carnivores every day. Would you rather they research on humans?