Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crocs have surprisingly thin tooth enamel

Still Waters

Crocodiles — and their plant-eating ancestors — have thin tooth enamel, a trait that is in stark contrast to humans and other hard-biting species, according to new research.

http://www.sci-news.com/biology/crocodiles-thin-tooth-enamel-07496.html

In research that could have implications for humans, scientists at the University of Missouri-Columbia have discovered that crocodiles — despite a bite strength that enables them to effortlessly crunch down on turtles, wildebeest and other giant prey — have very thin tooth enamel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/crocodiles-don’t-need-to-floss-they-just-grow-new-teeth/ar-AAFLc87

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is pretty amazing actually as I would've thought it would be the opposite, but obviously not.  :o 

I'm sorry but I had to share this, it's so cute :D 

2a4.jpg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, pixiii said:

This is pretty amazing actually as I would've thought it would be the opposite, but obviously not.  :o 

I'm sorry but I had to share this, it's so cute :D 

2a4.jpg

The baby is so cute. Hope no one makes it into crocodile shoes.

• Haha 2

crocodiles will clamp down on their prey with their massive jaws, crush it, and then they will swallow the prey whole. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/28306-crocodiles.html

Humans use their teeth to chew things so we can swallow them without chocking, crocodiles do not. 

“Crocodiles bite really hard, so we were curious if they have teeth that correspondingly withstand those forces — tough teeth to match a tough bite,” said Dr. Kaleb Sellers, 

Not sure why they thought this when it is known their teeth are not used in the same way as humans for eating, again, the crocodiles do not use their teeth to bite or chew their food.

We humans need strong teeth, so how can they base growing teeth on creatures who's teeth are not strong? 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

The baby is so cute. Hope no one makes it into crocodile shoes.

If they'll do it will bring crocodile tears to my eye's. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

If they'll do it will bring crocodile tears to my eye's. 

Here is a hankie to wipe your eyes

e305aa38956b1bc266a68a1dc62fab0a.jpg

• Haha 2