Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happens when you Die | Researching NDE

markdohle

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Look around at how many people are not actually 'living' this one life.  They are in either dire reflection of the past or dire anticipation of the future.  I don't think most people even know how to live.  I think they are just going through the motions.  There is only one moment...this is it.

People aren't taught how to live, they are taught to just be cogs in a social machine. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Why do some people desperately want an afterlife to be true? 

I don’t know. Honestly I can’t even figure out why people want to hold on to this life. 

12 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I don’t know. Honestly I can’t even figure out why people want to hold on to this life. 

Because it's the only thing we've got so we might as well make the most of it. 

1 hour ago, joc said:

I personally am not desperate for anything.  Fear of death gives way to afterlife.  Fear of outright dying.  Fear of one's life being...over.  Fear of loss of love of someone because of death.  A lot of fear associated with death.  Kill the fear...you kill all the BS that goes along with it.  Why would birds and bees and insects and trees...and humans...procreate so much if death wasn't final?

Even if people fear death, that says nothing if there is an afterlife. That's one factor however, that is not the sole basis for some people. Again this does not address anything just an assertion. 

• Like 1

I just want wish there`s  a place where `s there no more tears,fear, pain and death :( and why a creator made this place:) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The same question can be posed to the radical skeptic. Why are some desperate for there not being one? 

I don't think it is a 'desperate attempt' to disprove it, but the total lack of evidence to support it.

Speaking only for myself, I would love to be able to see my loved ones who have died again. I'd love some reassurance that in some way, we continue on. But the fact of the matter is that this world existed before we were born, and will continue to exist after we die. And only a very small percentage of the world noticed our arrival, our stay, and only a very few will note and mourn our passing.

If believing in an afterlife gives you some comfort, and enables you to keep moving, then enjoy it. But to me, the afterlife seems like a 'carrot on a stick', an empty promise to keep the plebes happy in their stations, and to keep them plodding forward like obedient little robots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Speaking only for myself, I would love to be able to see my loved ones who have died again. I'd love some reassurance that in some way, we continue on.

You're not the only one. I'm just not willing to jump on any bandwagon with real proof. The only place my lost loved one's exist is in my memories.

• Thanks 5

17 hours ago, and then said:

Are these two actions equally egregious in your opinion?  Who gets to decide what "injustice" is and what penalty should be borne by the offender?  You?  

You take the authority to yourself to tell another what they can believe?  I don't think so.  You may feel that you have that right but it's only an illusion you enjoy.  I am responsible for MY actions, not the actions of others NOR the opinions others hold about me and what I believe.  You wouldn't stand for someone telling you you cannot (fill in the blank) so why do you imagine you have the right to do so for others?  

I take no authority to tell what people want to believe.

However, I do want evidence, and yes, proof, when someone claims something that is beyond the natural boundaries of nature and of life. And simply repeating that "So-and-so said...." is not evidence.

If YOU wish to live YOUR life in accordance to what some magical sky daddy supposedly said, that is your business. Just do not try to tell me how I should live by your mystical rules. If you believe in an afterlife, good for you, I sincerely hope that you are correct, and that it is all you imagine it to be.

But here is a morsel for thought: What if there IS an afterlife, but it ISN'T the one you think it is?  What if the Greeks had it right, and the afterworld is the Underworld, where everyone goes, and is punished? Or if the Norsemen had it right, and upon death, you find yourself in the Hall of Odin, in Valhalla?

You see, to me, NDE's are a thing. It is the brain's mad scramble in the moments of 'death', and since our society has been inundated with Christian imagery, it isn't surprising that a brain in distress might create images of what we expect (or are told to expect) to see. 

But as others have pointed out, "near death" isn't death. Yes you can be "dead", have no heartbeat, for a few moments, and there are cases involving rapid hypothermia where a victim has been 'dead' for up to an hour. And if all life-saving measures were stopped, then yes, those people would be dead. Dead and beginning the process of decomposition. There has never been a case of a person being declared dead, for 3 days, and miraculously returning to life. Except in mythology.

Which brings to mind, Lazarus. IF he died, and IF he was raised from the dead, then why don't we have HIS story of what he experienced on the other side? I mean, we have this story that Jesus raised this guy from the dead, like it was an every day occurrence, and then we never hear from him again. WHY didn't Lazarus become a disciple, and why don't we have a "Gospel of Lazarus"?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You're not the only one. I'm just not willing to jump on any bandwagon with real proof. The only place my lost loved one's exist is in my memories.

^^^^^^^^ THIS, in spades!

Just because one desires a thing, does not make that thing real, no matter how much we may want it to be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Because it's the only thing we've got so we might as well make the most of it. 

I wish I could feel that way. I guess life here on earth is kinda wasted on me. I honestly just don’t get it. 

I’d give it to someone who could appreciate it right now if it were possible. If it could be done in a way where no one was hurt by it. 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I wish I could feel that way. I guess life here on earth is kinda wasted on me. I honestly just don’t get it. 

I’d give it to someone who could appreciate it right now if it were possible. If it could be done in a way where no one was hurt by it. 

Then embrace the void with laughter, because this world is a joke and humanity is the punchline. Seriously bro, I wish I could give some of this existential nihilism to you. Because to me nothing matters, so either I keep myself busy doing what I enjoy or I stay in that pit of depression that made me so miserable. I made a different choice. Got sick of feeling like hell every day. I can't fix you but know there is a point after those total nihilism days. 

• Like 4

On 8/18/2019 at 5:36 PM, Nnicolette said:

I had a NDE once but all i would really conclude is that you do have a self outside of your body that somewhat matches your body. I saw darkness all around and a bright circle of light which i was drawn toward, i could see what had happened to myself also but still had a strong sense of self and stubborness and returned to my body, to the astonishment of the people carrying it away who actually dropped me when i came back because they were so shocked that i was alive, after having no pulse or breathing for a bit. Perception seemed a bit different when i was "seperated" time is not the same there and i was trying to scream but couldnt speak aloud, I'm guessing due to lack of a body. Has anyone here been farther than that? I.e. actually entered the light?

Thank you for sharing this. :)

The first time I left my body, it happened spontaneously (it was an out-of-body experience, not a near-death experience) - I saw 2 deceased family members in the "light" (I got a personal message from them) - I believe in an afterlife, not because I'm scared of death, but because of my experiences.

I do study this topic from all sides though - I love how science is interested in this topic.

I wish more people would share their experiences here - at least in this part of the forum?!

I don't want people to share everything about their experiences because it's healthy to keep some things private - but if we want to learn more about this topic then it's important that we can open more up about it.

For that to happen then we need to be in a safe environment. 

When I talk about a safe place, then I don't mean an echo chamber - I mean a safe place where people can discuss things in a productive manner and show respect for each other even when they disagree.

But maybe we are supposed to only talk about this with certain people?!

I talk about this with scientists and people close to me, open minded people who want to investigate instead of judging.

I also investigate all the time. 

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Then embrace the void with laughter, because this world is a joke and humanity is the punchline. Seriously bro, I wish I could give some of this existential nihilism to you. Because to me nothing matters, so either I keep myself busy doing what I enjoy or I stay in that pit of depression that made me so miserable. I made a different choice. Got sick of feeling like hell every day. I can't fix you but know there is a point after those total nihilism days. 

Got good news for you. You are what you feel, when one is in hell. Best you pretend not to be in hell, as that is the only grace of temporary relief God gives to the prisoners of the body. Those without hope are made to believe that their misery will end with bodily death. And I got bad news for you there too. Death is not the end of our misery; it's just a reminder of more misery to come. Believe it or not, we are all dead already, pretending to be alive.

Who knows if death be life, and life death?

Who knows,’ as Euripides says, ’whether life may not be death, and death life?’ Nay, there are philosophers who maintain that even in life we are dead, and that the body is the tomb of the soul.    Socrates

On 8/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, Nnicolette said:

Has anyone here been farther than that? I.e. actually entered the light?

I have, and that is why I'm so bright!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I talk about this with scientists and people close to me, open minded people who want to investigate instead of judging.

I also investigate all the time. 

I know these types of discussions can get really personal...because people tend to view there own experiences as proof of this or that.  The fact is...I have never had an OBE nor a NDE so it is really difficult to relate to what you and others have experienced. However; I do find the similarities of peoples stories quite fascinating.  Mostly because I find the human mind quite fascinating.  

This part of the forum actually is a 'safe place' to discuss ones beliefs in a respectful way without degradation.  

It's real easy for the skeptic to just nay say anything and everything...it's kind of what skeptics do...lol.   But...and...while I of course am quite skeptical of life after death...I am not at all skeptical of people's experiences.  Experiences are real.  Even if the experience is a totally mental thing...totally mental things are real. 

So:

What I would like to know from your own personal experience, if you feel like sharing, is  'the light'.  You said that you saw 2 deceased family members in the "light" .  All that comes to mind is the movie Poltergeist.  Could you talk a bit about exactly what the light is?  Was it actual Light or a feeling of Light or what?

14 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I just want wish there`s  a place where `s there no more tears,fear, pain and death :( and why a creator made this place:) 

That's actually a powerful thing and is quite telling of the human state.  At any second in time, there is so much suffering...so much so that we shut it all out...we have to because suffering is non-stop...so we isolate it.  We can only focus on the immediate suffering around us personally.  And yet...that too is very abundant.  A place where there are no more tears, fear, pain and death.   I totally get that.

What happens when you Die

Nothing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MissJatti said:

Nothing

Not true. Your  body starts to decompose...so something happens. Oh look science explaining something again .:lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Not true. Your  body starts to decompose...so something happens. Oh look science explaining something again .:lol:

Yes ThereWeAreThen, other than the body starts rotting and so on. Nothing else happens, your dead means your dead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

Yes ThereWeAreThen, other than the body starts rotting and so on. Nothing else happens, your dead means your dead.

Agreed was just trying to be witty. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

What if the Greeks had it right, and the afterworld is the Underworld, where everyone goes, and is punished?

Of course the Greeks had it right! Actually it was one Greek in particular, Socrates, who gives an excellent and a most revealing account of a reported NDE that lasted over 12 days. And Er did see the light that nearly all those experiencing an NDE report. And everyone is not just punished, as it depends how one lives out each cycle of birth and death, as there are both punishments and rewards. And the punishments and rewards are dished out on the measurement of one having being just or unjust. And the degree of either punishment, or reward, is given on a ratio of 1 to 10, generally. For every one deed of a just action, 10 times is the payback, and the same ratio applies for punishments, if the deed is unjust.

And it behooves all of us to determine and understand just what constitutes justice and injustice, for our soul's sake.

Following is an old and detailed account of a brave warrior's NDE, which is contained in Plato's Republic.

Well, I said, I will tell you a tale; not one of the tales which Odysseus tells to the hero Alcinous, yet this too is a tale of a hero, Er the son of Armenius, a Pamphylian by birth. He was slain in battle, and ten days afterwards, when the bodies of the dead were taken up already in a state of corruption, his body was found unaffected by decay, and carried away home to be buried. And on the twelfth day, as he was lying on the funeral pile, he returned to life and told them what he had seen in the other world. He said that when his soul left the body he went on a journey with a great company, and that they came to a mysterious place at which there were two openings in the earth; they were near together, and over against them were two other openings in the heaven above. In the intermediate space there were judges seated, who commanded
the just, after they had given judgment on them and had bound their sentences in front of them, to ascend by the heavenly way on the right hand; and in like manner the unjust were bidden by them to descend by the lower way on the left hand; these also bore the symbols of their deeds, but fastened on their backs. He drew near, and they told him that he was to be the messenger who would carry the report of the other world to men, and they bade him hear and see all that was to be heard and seen in that place......

8 hours ago, LightAngel said:

But maybe we are supposed to only talk about this with certain people?!

That's how you get echo chambers though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Nothing

Big bold letters, you must know what you're talking about :lol: lol

Edited by spartan max2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 2:07 PM, Jodie.Lynne said:

Or perhaps memories of those that went before?

Perhaps, when one believes strongly enough, in something like an afterlife, the subconscious brings up old memories?

Sort of like watching a scary movie, then dreaming about it?