Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paul is Dead

Crookshanks

I was just wondering what people on here thought of the "Paul is Dead" rumour, about the supposed death of Paul McCartney back in 1966?  The story is that he was driving his car and stopped to pick up a girl. Whilst they were driving along she suddenly realised who he really was, went berserk, and hugged him like a crazy fan would, and Paul completely didn't see the lights, ran off the road, wrapped the car round a tree.  He was decapitated and died instantly, as did the girl with him.  Because the Beatles Manager Brian Epstien, and others, felt that Paul was probably the most popular band member of the Beatles, it would be really bad if people, especially the hoardes or crazy fans, knew he had died. They feared they would all commit suicide. And so they got a lookalike and soundalike called Billy Shears Campbell to get a bit of plastic surgery and to take his place and quite literally become Paul McCartney. I was going to dismiss this as bunkum, but there are some things that cannot be dismissed.  His height, the shape of his ears, his eyes, his nose, all kinds of little things that at first you don't realise, but it does look strange.  

Any thoughts on it? 

• Haha 3

If they both died in the car crash, how did anyone know that's how the supposed crash happen? It's ridiculous to overlook "details" that already make no sense. I watched one of the Paul is Dead "documentaries" and didn't come away convinced of anything other than people's wild imaginations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

No, it would have brought more money in because Paul would have been made a martyr just like John Lennon was later.  No one could sing the exact same way Paul McCartney did and he made several albums after the beatles and continued to write songs.  It was something no one could imitate.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, darkmoonlady said:

If they both died in the car crash, how did anyone know that's how the supposed crash happen? It's ridiculous to overlook "details" that already make no sense. I watched one of the Paul is Dead "documentaries" and didn't come away convinced of anything other than people's wild imaginations. 

Just attention seekers.

• Like 1

hence "the one and only Billy Shears" in the title track off of Sergeant Pepper :yes:

And "he blew his mind out in a car, he didn't notice that the lights had changed" in A Day in The Life wasn't in fact a reference to Irish socialite Tara Browne, but was an in-reference inserted, presumably, by John to enlighten those who read between the lines as to the truth. :yes: 

• Haha 3

Oh yeah.. and as for a day in the life ( Thanks for mentioning that Dumbledore)  I listened to that backwards and there are hidden messages.  What you hear is the destruction of Hiroshima and a chant of "it was the Nazis" buried in the track.  Very strange.  I kind of wonder if the whole Paul is Dead thing is a ruse to get people to listen backwards. You don't even get Paul is dead, what you get are government information secrets or something.  Or I am just hearing things.. who knows. The science of backmasking has been conpletely explained.. you only hear what you want to hear.. so they say. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

@acute

Tell us what really happened mate. :yes:

What..... again?

Paul died, and was replaced by someone who couldn't write songs, play the bass guitar, or sing.

And nobody noticed at all! (until Mull of Kintyre)

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, acute said:

What..... again?

Paul died, and was replaced by someone who couldn't write songs, play the bass guitar, or sing.

And his replacement couldn't speak Scouse either.  :yes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

And his replacement couldn't speak Scouse either.  :yes:

To be fair... he did learn to say "Eh! Calm down!"

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

Oh yeah.. and as for a day in the life ( Thanks for mentioning that Dumbledore)  I listened to that backwards and there are hidden messages.  What you hear is the destruction of Hiroshima and a chant of "it was the Nazis" buried in the track.  Very strange.  I kind of wonder if the whole Paul is Dead thing is a ruse to get people to listen backwards. You don't even get Paul is dead, what you get are government information secrets or something.  Or I am just hearing things.. who knows. The science of backmasking has been conpletely explained.. you only hear what you want to hear.. so they say. 

Reverse speech is BS.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

Reverse speech is BS.

No, it isn't!

In the days of reel-to-reel recording and tape cueing, anyone who spent a lot of time in the studio knew which words said what backwards. The Beatles' "Number 9"  ("Turn me on dead man") is a classic example.

Just a bit of fun, a publicity stunt, or (if you believe...) something more sinister.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

Well deliberate or not, Strawberry Fields forever has some very clear backwards words, as does Real love, and a few others. It just seems to me that the Paul is Dead clues in the songs, are to get you to listen backwards and see what comes up.  John Lennon admitted he was a backwards speaker on a chat show and was going to say other things till a very stern look from Yoko ono made him shush. I think he also said that in Japanese "Ringo" means Apple. It was at that point she kind of gave him this look.. and he shushed. 

41 minutes ago, acute said:

No, it isn't!

Yes it is.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/demon-haunted_sentence_a_skeptical_analysis_of_reverse_speech1/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_speech

Playing someone's words backwards does not magically expose some hidden unconscious meaning, sounds and words don't work that way.

41 minutes ago, acute said:

In the days of reel-to-reel recording and tape cueing, anyone who spent a lot of time in the studio knew which words said what backwards. The Beatles' "Number 9"  ("Turn me on dead man") as a classic example.

Just a bit of fun, a publicity stunt, or (if you believe...) something more sinister.

That is a gimmick though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rlyeh said:

Yes it is.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/demon-haunted_sentence_a_skeptical_analysis_of_reverse_speech1/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_speech

Playing someone's words backwards does not magically expose some hidden unconscious meaning, sounds and words don't work that way.

That is a gimmick though.

Hahaha.. I guess you never read anything by Aliester Crowley then ey?  I read all this stuff and I know what they say about backwards speech, and that Paul isn't really dead.. I'm just saying how strange it is.  It might all be a huge marketing gimmick  for all we know.. but its just very strange.. who does that?

Just now, Crookshanks said:

Hahaha.. I guess you never read anything by Aliester Crowley then ey? 

Should I?  Crowley was a junkie who craved negative attention.

Just now, Crookshanks said:

I read all this stuff and I know what they say about backwards speech, and that Paul isn't really dead.. I'm just saying how strange it is.  It might all be a huge marketing gimmick  for all we know.. but its just very strange.. who does that?

I don't think you get what I said.  I'm saying deliberately recording your voice so it says something else backwards is gimmicky, not this conspiracy theory about Paul being dead.

• Like 1

Everyone has a DoppleGanger. It does not surprise me that Paul would have one. But to say he is dead is a stretch. 

It was a hoax by John Lennon. I thought everyone knew that.

Not so much an idea, as an ah dear.

Edited by Habitat

10 hours ago, Crookshanks said:

I was just wondering what people on here thought of the "Paul is Dead" rumour, about the supposed death of Paul McCartney back in 1966?  The story is that he was driving his car and stopped to pick up a girl. Whilst they were driving along she suddenly realised who he really was, went berserk, and hugged him like a crazy fan would, and Paul completely didn't see the lights, ran off the road, wrapped the car round a tree.  He was decapitated and died instantly, as did the girl with him.  Because the Beatles Manager Brian Epstien, and others, felt that Paul was probably the most popular band member of the Beatles, it would be really bad if people, especially the hoardes or crazy fans, knew he had died. They feared they would all commit suicide. And so they got a lookalike and soundalike called Billy Shears Campbell to get a bit of plastic surgery and to take his place and quite literally become Paul McCartney. I was going to dismiss this as bunkum, but there are some things that cannot be dismissed.  His height, the shape of his ears, his eyes, his nose, all kinds of little things that at first you don't realise, but it does look strange.  

Any thoughts on it? 

No white lighter and he didn't turn 27 until 1969.  He didn't die.

That's how you fight bulldust with bulldust.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acute said:

No, it isn't!

In the days of reel-to-reel recording and tape cueing, anyone who spent a lot of time in the studio knew which words said what backwards. The Beatles' "Number 9"  ("Turn me on dead man") is a classic example.

Record yourself say "snuffleuphagus" and reverse it. It will sound like "sick of elephants".

Or vice versa.

• Thanks 1

Well I guess that explains why Wings sucked! (just kidding) I actually heard years ago when the third Beatle dies, the last one would reveal a big secret. Anyway just read the lives of lennon (great book) Yoko really was a money grubbing phony con artist (she made agreement with shady ex husband, him getting half of everything she acquired from lennon).

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

I actually heard years ago when the third Beatle dies, the last one would reveal a big secret.

Is it like the Third Secret of Fatima, or whatever it is? Will it reveal that the next pope will be the final one or something? :worry: 

10 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Is it like the Third Secret of Fatima, or whatever it is? Will it reveal that the next pope will be the final one or something? :worry: 

Exactly. Be on point when Ringo raises Atlantis.

Edited by Bed of chaos

On 8/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, acute said:

What..... again?

“I have to admit it’s getting better, a little better all the time”

netflix had a documentary on this a while back. To my surprise it was really good. I’m not saying Paul died, but I know this, the Beatles wanted people to think he had.