Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Had an unexplained event

spartan max2

First off I definitely think this was a natural malfunction and nonething supernatural.

But if this happened to some other people I'm sure they would take it as a ghost so I got to share.

Last night around 1pm I got out of bed and walked up the stairs to turn the air conditioning on because I was melting lol. (The house has half of it underground so walking upstairs goes to the traditional family room, kitchen area.)

I walk up the steps and flip the on switch for the A/C. A second later I hear a creaking popping sound. So I turn my phone flashlight on and shine towards the bedroom doors assuming a door popped open ( they are old doors so that is not uncommon). I shine the light on the doors and see no change.

I turn around and shine the light in the family room and see the recliner facing me has sprung open lol.

I don't believe in the supernatural but it definitely felt a little creepy for that to happen at 1 in the morning.

The next morning I tried to recreate the event by making it pop open on its own. It has an old push in button on the side that causes it to pop open so I figured maybe the button was like half pushed in from earlier and the A/C turning on shook the house a small amount giving it the nudge it needed? Lol

I couldn't recreate the button being party pushed in though, so it's unverified.

I'll let you know if anything else happens lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

How old is the recliner? Did you lock it back completely/whoever used it last? Got a cat?

Very old, it was used earlier in the day no way to know if it was locked back fully. No animals. 

• Like 1

If its an old recliner the button is probably worn out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Very old, it was used earlier in the day no way to know if it was locked back fully. No animals. 

If it's old it most likely malfunctioning probably something wrong with the spring mecanism. Had one of those and the seat flung up and hit my friend in the bottom as she got up which sent her tumbling over. We both lauged so hard we peed a little. :-D

Edited by Impedancer
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

We both lauged so hard we peed a little. :-D

That was probably not from laughing, but from visiting systembolaget :-D

Regarding the recliner. It was old, and probably not very smooth. So it could have been stuck in an almost unfolded position, and a tiny vibration could have done the rest.
Like my computer chair, who has a gas height regulator, but it's old. It always jumps up an inch 20 minutes after I leave it. Startled me the first ten times.

• Haha 3

My dad had a La-Z-Boy that he adored, as many fathers of the home do. As such, it was old, worn in and he refused to replace it. His would do this on occasion. Definitely enough to scare the **** out of you in the middle of the night, though. 

• Like 1

Wow, I thought you did a marvelous job of debunking this yourself by going through each step and even trying to recreate what you thought it was. 

I thought it might've been when the aircon has been switched on - if it's a really big ducted system that does the entire house, ours sometimes forces things to suddenly move.  I've never really thought much about it tbh.  You stated it happened around the time that you popped the aircon on, so I don't imagine the temperature in the air had changed significantly in between, or enough to force the spring mechanism to push the footstool part out on the chair.  If it was reacting to the temperature I meant by that.   I think you'\ve done such a great job, I can't really think of anything else that it might be, but I can certainly understand it would've looked rather freaky turning the phone light around to see the chair facing you with the footstool open!  :lol:   

I was actually really impressed with how fast you had your phone flashlight on to check.  I can never manage to find the button....like ever! :lol: 

Edited by pixiii
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

First off I definitely think this was a natural malfunction and nonething supernatural.

But if this happened to some other people I'm sure they would take it as a ghost so I got to share.

Last night around 1pm I got out of bed and walked up the stairs to turn the air conditioning on because I was melting lol. (The house has half of it underground so walking upstairs goes to the traditional family room, kitchen area.)

I walk up the steps and flip the on switch for the A/C. A second later I hear a creaking popping sound. So I turn my phone flashlight on and shine towards the bedroom doors assuming a door popped open ( they are old doors so that is not uncommon). I shine the light on the doors and see no change.

I turn around and shine the light in the family room and see the recliner facing me has sprung open lol.

I don't believe in the supernatural but it definitely felt a little creepy for that to happen at 1 in the morning.

The next morning I tried to recreate the event by making it pop open on its own. It has an old push in button on the side that causes it to pop open so I figured maybe the button was like half pushed in from earlier and the A/C turning on shook the house a small amount giving it the nudge it needed? Lol

I couldn't recreate the button being party pushed in though, so it's unverified.

I'll let you know if anything else happens lol

Do you have a dog or cat?   My dog likes to sleep in the recliner and leaves it with the foot stool part popped up.

P.S. I see you answered this already.

Edited by Desertrat56
P.S.

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Do you have a dog or cat?   My dog likes to sleep in the recliner and leaves it with the foot stool part popped up.

I have no animals ha.

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I have no animals ha.

I was just editing my post.  Sorry to be redundant.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1