Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
a rat and her rage

Almost astral projection or sleep paralysis?

a rat and her rage

Hello, I haven't been on this site very long, but I figured it'd be worth a shot to talk about this stuff since I've always been super interested in it. Please let me know your thoughts, as I'm very open-minded to any theories/explanations or spiritual knowledge and would love to learn more. Any tips or ideas on how I could explore this further would also be greatly appreciated. :) (also excuse the length of this, it's late and I tend to ramble)

So, for the past few months I've had very strange dreams and strange sensations as I fall asleep/before REM sleep (I think?). Before I begin I should mention that I have a terrible sleep schedule which may have induced these experiences. I may possibly have a certain sleep disorder or just have fallen into the habit of terrible schedule and sleep-deprivation. Either way, I've noticed that the exhaustion and mental disorientation may have played a part in this. The second experience actually happened as I was trying to go to sleep earlier than I would normally though, which was weird.

The first time it happened I could only compare the feeling to being extremely high, as if I'd been thrown onto a weird rollercoaster. I was about to take a nap after coming home as I was super sleepy/tired and this was the closest thing I could compare to acid even though I'd never tried that. It's also worth mentioning that each time these dreams/sensations happen I hadn't drank/smoked, etc. I think it may have been a hypnagogic dream? 

My whole body felt tingly and it was as if I'd been hit on the back of the head and thrown into it. Anyway, what followed was a series of dreams with false awakenings and the dream-within-a-dream concept. Like layers of dreams where I'd wake up in a different location only to realise I'm still asleep. In my second layer of dream I remember feeling as though I was having sleep paralysis as well. It almost felt like an Alice in Wonderland trip in a way. This whole experience was quite terrifying in the moment to say the least. 

Weeks/months passed and the next most notable experience happened the other night where I felt as though sleep paralysis was coming on. However, as I felt my body slip into this strange feeling, my brain sorta recognised the feeling and told me "Oh no, this again"  so my guess is that this may have happened several times before, but I forgot to properly remember/document it. It's quite an intense feeling as it happens but moments after awakening it's very hard to pin-point it all/remember it properly. The weirdest part was that usually for most people/me, sleep paralysis stops as soon as I'm able to move my body in some way - disrupt the numb/stiff feeling and wake up or go back to sleep. However, in this instance, I could feel myself move, yet the "paralysis" continued. As if my body was moving in a weird new way. It felt as though I was losing control of the movement and was desperately trying to get back to my body and gain control again. In the moment it's actually quite a frightening experience. I think the near-panic and uneasiness jolted me awake and I wasn't able to fully understand/explore the experience. 

The third time, similarly I'd lay down for a nap, and again I felt the same unnerving feeling as if my body was somehow lifting/moving while still asleep (not to be confused with sleepwalking as that's never happened before to my knowledge). Except this time I managed to move further in a way. It's all very strange, but at this point I'm worried it's all my imagination as it's hard to recall these experiences after jolting out of them. All of this happened without me even trying to astral project or lucid dream. I'm no expert in either of these topics so it's a little confusing. It all just happens as I try to fall asleep/am asleep. 

Please share any knowledge 'n thoughts! The more the merrier! :)) 

XenoFish

Hypnopompic, hypnagogic, sleep paralysis, and possible lucid dreaming. Maybe false awakening as well.

a rat and her rage

@XenoFish  I mean yeah, I kinda figured that it's obv one/several of those explanations, but I just wanted more info/interesting theories on it. :)

Bed of chaos
Posted (edited)

Look up exploding head syndrome, (it's not uncommon) symptoms on wiki..u could be very suprised. It's similar to sleep paralysis. Not to be a know-it-all but be careful what you read about sleep paralysis (or even lucid dreaming) the internet's loaded w misinformation.

Edited by Bed of chaos