Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student disqualified for hating Halal meat

Eldorado

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I eat lunch at a place called Halal Guys regularly. It’s delicious.

Halal does not change the taste of the meat. Its down to the chef.

I eat at a place called Porkies and its delicious. 

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Halal does not change the taste of the meat. Its down to the chef.

Never said it did.  Although that's arguable since what an animal eats can change it's flavor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Never said it did.  Although that's arguable since what an animal eats can change it's flavor.

Animals which are halaled eat the same as those which are not.

Infact, England are sending lambs abroad, they are raised the same way as those which have been stunned. 

This is shocking!!!

Senior politicians and animal welfare groups have condemned the government over a deal that allows meat from lambs slaughtered without being stunned to be exported to Saudi Arabia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/20/deal-export-non-stun-slaughtered-lambs-saudi-arabia-condemned

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Animals which are halaled eat the same as those which are not.

Not necessarily.  Also Halal and Kosher ensure that animals are not raised in bad/overcrowded conditions or otherwise mistreated.  The main argument against halal and kosher meat is that the animals are killed without being stunned first.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Good for her for standing up against it.

I have often questioned where are the animal rights brigade today? They managed to get fur out of shops, but I do not see them protesting at that level against halal shops. 

I can not believe halal or kosher are allowed in a country which has so many animal lovers and vegetarians. How the heck did this happen? 

The deafening silence from the usual culprits about halal is the they get the free pass 'your not white' card.

• Confused 1

So lets get this straight.. The fact the absolute brunt of Western animals are treated like products, being injected with growth enhancers, forced to live their lifes confined in ****ty cordoned off 'cells' in factory farms doesnt bother you people. The fact the scale increase, where cattle farmers are forced to increase their output of meat just te be able to 'compete' in 'the market', is mainly coming from the USA.. no worries there!

muddy-cow.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

No what we worry about, is not how they lived their lives, but how they are killed. Because they need to be, wait for it, stunned before they get a metal cylinder jammed through their brains.. to (wait for it..) prevent needless suffering!

Seems to me priorities are being confused here. Instead of focusing on the need to stun animals before they are killed, people need to realize Halal should also mean a respectful treatment of the animal during its life. This is lightyears ahead of our present, capitalist driven (everything to save a buck) meat industry with its terrible treatment of living, breathing, beautiful animals. Stunning these animals before they are shot through the head after they lived terrible, hellish lives of confinement and extreme maltreatment seems a wee bit twisted to me.

Edited by Phaeton80

49 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not necessarily.  Also Halal and Kosher ensure that animals are not raised in bad/overcrowded conditions or otherwise mistreated.  The main argument against halal and kosher meat is that the animals are killed without being stunned first.

actually kosher  goes beyond that, on books at least,   an inspector, usually a rabbi who owns kosher stamp, has to cut animal stomach and intestate, if it has any worms, parasites it has to be rejected, and as i was told by a butcher, it is almost impossible to find an animal with no parasites these days, so they mostly skip that step now. 

36 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

So lets get this straight.. The fact the absolute brunt of Western animals are treated like products, being injected with growth enhancers, forced to live their lifes confined in ****ty cordoned off 'cells' in factory farms doesnt bother you people. The fact the scale increase, where cattle farmers are forced to increase their output of meat just te be able to 'compete' in 'the market', is mainly coming from the USA.. no worries there!

muddy-cow.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

No what we worry about, is not how they lived their lives, but how they are killed. Because they need to be, wait for it, stunned before they get a metal cylinder jammed through their brains.. to (wait for it..) prevent needless suffering!

Seems to me priorities are being confused here. Instead of focusing on the need to stun animals before they are killed, people need to realize Halal should also mean a respectful treatment of the animal during its life. This is lightyears ahead of our present, capitalist driven (everything to save a buck) meat industry with its terrible treatment of living, breathing, beautiful animals. Stunning these animals before they are shot through the head after they lived terrible, hellish lives of confinement and extreme maltreatment seems a wee bit twisted to me.

Not in the UK, you can trace where and when the animal was born, there's a limit on how far it can travel to the abattoir, if any of the above happened here they're breaking the law and would be prosecuted if caught, soon all abattoirs by law will have to have cctv fitted.

Edited by hetrodoxly

Well allrighty then, mr Muslim hater.

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

The deafening silence from the usual culprits about halal is the they get the free pass 'your not white' card.

This is about a religious belief, as far as I know, there are white muslims too, or are you saying whites can not eat halal? 

Edited by freetoroam

42 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

No what we worry about, is not how they lived their lives, but how they are killed.

No, both are a concern. 

We only buy free range and because so many people here in the UK are concerned, free range is widely available. 

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Sorry, why mention colour?This is about a religious belief, as far as I know, there are white muslims too, or are you saying whites can not eat halal? 

The majority aren't white, if this was a Christian practice the usual suspects would be screaming their heads off and there'd be many pages on these boards condemning them.

8 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Well allrighty then, mr Muslim hater.

I don't hate Muslims, i detest Islam.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

The majority aren't white, if this was a Christian practice the usual suspects would be screaming their heads off and there'd be many pages on these boards condemning them.

I do not get how a non European practice is being accepted and all us non muslims and the vegetarians are basically being told they have to accept it. 

This is how wrong the law is, completely contradicts itself

The law requires animals in the EU to be effectively stunned before slaughter. However, exceptions are made which permit some religious communities to slaughter without pre-stunning. This applies to slaughter by the Jewish method (Shechita) or by the Muslim method (Halal).

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/our-campaigns/slaughter/

How the heck can you have a law which says one thing and yet allows religion to be exempt? 

WHEN we leave the EU, I hope to see all the animal rights and vegetarians demand a change in that law.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

muddy-cow.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Um, that's not a beef cattle.... that's a dairy cow. Still a pretty gross picture.

• Like 1

Still, doesnt take anything away from the point made.

7 minutes ago, rashore said:

Um, that's not a beef cattle.... that's a dairy cow. Still a pretty gross picture.

I live in cattle country, so I know they are treated much better than is being portrayed. Yes, it rains,,,cows and barns get wet. Cattle ranches have 100's of acres to graze on and come running when the farm truck goes out with feed and hay every evening. They are not kept confined in any way, shape or form. The dairy cows come in for a couple of hours once or twice a day for milking. All the farmer has to do is call them. Then they are free to go back outside.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Since your point was about how beef cattle are raised and killed... using a dairy cow image does kind of change the point. Dairy industry has it's own thing going on- like that cow is a young one, old enough that it likely isn't for veal culling, so it will likely have many years of rounds of milking/pregnancy and/or hormone extensions to keep lactating before they dry out- then most often have a pretty nice year or so out to pasture to get them all OG and then slaughtered for upper-class beef.

Generally, dairy cows get a nicer life than beef cattle do. Where the point of beef cattle is to get them a big as possible as quick as possible in that 18 months or so.. Ya gotta be nicer to dairy cows otherwise it puts them off their milk.

So while the pic is gross because the lil gal fell in the mud, it's not actually representative of what goes on in the beef cattle industry.

• Like 2

Wait till we get a load from the Hindu extremists... 

~

11 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

Most modern dairy cows come from the fields to the pens on their own when they feel like it to be milked by an automatic system and return to the fields on their own, poorly treating animals isn't sanctioned.

A question i'd like to put to you is 'hunting for meat' it's permissible in the Quran and widely practised in Islamic countries, how can a bullet to the head of an animal or killed by the claws of an hawk etc be considered halal?   

19 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Most modern dairy cows come from the fields to the pens on their own when they feel like it to be milked by an automatic system and return to the fields on their own, poorly treating animals isn't sanctioned.

A question i'd like to put to you is 'hunting for meat' it's permissible in the Quran and widely practised in Islamic countries, how can a bullet to the head of an animal or killed by the claws of an hawk etc be considered halal?   

As I understand it one can hunt wild animals as long as they are freely able to run and evade, one can use dogs, falcons etc to hunt / retrieve.. These are trained to inflict as little damage to a prey as possible, so it can be dispatched as prescribed. If the shot is deadly, this is allowed as well, yet not ideal. Furthermore, hunting for mere sport is not allowed, not halal.

1 hour ago, Phaeton80 said:

As I understand it one can hunt wild animals as long as they are freely able to run and evade, one can use dogs, falcons etc to hunt / retrieve.. These are trained to inflict as little damage to a prey as possible, so it can be dispatched as prescribed. If the shot is deadly, this is allowed as well, yet not ideal. Furthermore, hunting for mere sport is not allowed, not halal.

You can use guns and they do, you can use spear and bow, falcons trained not to kill? can you show me your source?

Why, does it conflict with yours? Show me what you have.. Ive been the one answering questions up until now, without any clear reason.

10 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

6 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

Why, does it conflict with yours? Show me what you have.. Ive been the one answering questions up until now, without any clear reason.

Ok, I'll flat out ask for help with this... the aspect of hunting animals and use of them within hunting. I don't got conflicts, but rather would like to learn more about this.

I think I understand a bit about the general shot/kill practice of hunting- and not ideal. I've got scratch for the hunting animals aspect.

Not being argumentative or anything, but would like to learn more about this aspect of things. I've often thought about the more farming/commercial sides of halal practices... but don't know much if anything about the hunters side of that whole coin. Particularly in relation to using hunting animals.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:22 AM, and then said:

Is it any wonder?  Most citizens in the west are so far removed from the reality of how their food is provided that they think burgers and sausage originate in plastic wrap.  I remember watching my aunt wringing the neck of a couple of chickens for the evening meal back when I was 8 or 9.  I was enlisted to help pluck the feathers after they'd been dipped in a scalding pot and it was just what people DID.  I believe that people who love steaks, chops and burgers should get a chance to see where it comes from.  From a purely sanitary and health perspective, bleeding an animal is a positive but I see no reason why they can't be stunned first.  I also think that sacrificial ceremonies are too much for meat that is going to be consumed.  Just my personal opinion.

I completely agree, I had a conversation with a guy on reddit about this a few months ago.

Many of the last few generations have only known supermarket food, there is no want or need to understand where it comes from. A chicken nugget is just a chicken nugget and it comes in a bag.
To see the process that creates it would often result in them not eating it again.

Not saying that I'm much better, however my dad used to hunt, so the process isn't jaring to me, however show that to a lot of others these days and you better have a puke bucket ready.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:22 PM, and then said:

Is it any wonder?  Most citizens in the west are so far removed from the reality of how their food is provided that they think burgers and sausage originate in plastic wrap.  I remember watching my aunt wringing the neck of a couple of chickens for the evening meal back when I was 8 or 9.  I was enlisted to help pluck the feathers after they'd been dipped in a scalding pot and it was just what people DID.  I believe that people who love steaks, chops and burgers should get a chance to see where it comes from.  From a purely sanitary and health perspective, bleeding an animal is a positive but I see no reason why they can't be stunned first.  I also think that sacrificial ceremonies are too much for meat that is going to be consumed.  Just my personal opinion.

When I was 5 I had a butcher knife and paring knife.  While my family plucked the 75 chickens we got ready for winter, I butchered and cleaned them ( I hated the stink of plucking).  My dad would shoot, and made sure it was a clean shot, and then slice to neck of the animal we were going to butcher.  I know where meat comes from, but I do wonder about the practices since I saw my father do anything he could to make sure there was as little suffering as possible for the animals. 

• Like 2