Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are near-death experiences merely illusions ?

UM-Bot

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Thanks for a reveal.

But, but, we are not living in an Inquisition run by materialists we need to fear???

You just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You just don't get it. 

Maybe because you won’t explain yourself well??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

And I never will. 

Maybe you shouldn’t just spend hours irritating people if you don’t want to talk!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Maybe you shouldn’t just spend hours irritating people if you don’t want to talk!!

Alright George, what do you want to know? Pick my mind. 

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

About 9 % of successful resuscitations report a type of NDE. That's a pretty small number to consider before taking into account the exaggerations and incorrect reports.

That seems a statistically significant number to me. Given how many people die each year, and cardiac linked deaths leading the way.

I don't see much point in the BS being palmed of as research when really, it's a bunch of anecdotes 

That presents a false front of actual research being done on the field when it's just some interesting anecdotes. I don't think that's professional or ethical. If these people really are interested in opening doors, they should be doing more than gathering anecdotes. 

I'd suggest anecdotes aren't worthless in collecting, but agree they aren't evidence. But they are a point to jump off from to gain evidence. The number of anecdotes gives a rough gage on how prevalent something may be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I think we had this discussion before. I think you are putting too much a weight on the experiences of just one person (yourself) when it's a big world out there beyond yourself. And even some of your own experiences could be ambiguous as you have noted.

(I think I mentioned 'the sample size of 'one' error')

Consider the 'LIGHT' again while staying honest to your intellect!!

The only experience that we can use to judge  what is true for ourselves is our own.  We can support people who have different experiences than we do, experience we don't understand, or we can insist that our own experience is the ONLY experience that is valid. 

Edited by Desertrat56
for clarity

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Alright George, what do you want to know? Pick my mind. 

Let’s start with why you fear admitting you feel you may have had anomalous experiences as this might cause you to get locked-up in a padded room?

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

The only experience that matters is our own.  We can support people who have different experiences than we do, experience we don't understand, or we can insist that our own experience is the ONLY experience that is valid. 

Well my beliefs come little from my own experiences but from consideration of the experiences of others. 

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Let’s start with why you fear admitting you feel you may have had anomalous experiences as this might cause you to get locked-up in a padded room?

You tell people you've seen ghost, finish their sentiences, and just know things you shouldn't. Do stuff like that enough and people call you crazy. Hear it enough and you think they're right. Then you look for proof and find nothing. Wouldn't you be a tad bit cynical? 

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Well my beliefs come little from my own experiences but from consideration of the experiences of others. 

Most people want to find others who have similar experiences, especially if they are the kind of experiences that are supposedly "insane", "impossible", etc.  I have never found anyone who has had weird experiences exactly like mine, I have found people who's experience have similarities but there is the factor of bias and belief (what you want to be true) etc that makes them all different as we all have different expectations, bias, hopes and fears.  But I can't invalidate someone else's genuine experience, though I might not agree with their interpretation of it and I would not ask someone else to interpret my experience as I am the only one who can do that.

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You tell people you've seen ghost, finish their sentiences, and just know things you shouldn't. 

If you did that accurately I would think most people would call you ‘amazing’ not ‘crazy’.

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

If you did that accurately I would think most people would call you ‘amazing’ not ‘crazy’.

Not if they're Christian. They might want to beat the devil out of you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Not if they're Christian. They might want to beat the devil out of you. 

I thought I could give you more credit than caring about those types.

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Tell that to the kid who's grandmother did that every chance she got. Tell him. Maybe he might understand, because at that time I didn't. Fear is a strong motivator. It teaches you to bury things, hide things, even hate things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Tell that to the kid who's grandmother did that every chance she got. Tell him. Maybe he might understand, because at that time I didn't. Fear is a strong motivator. It teaches you to bury things, hide things, even hate things. 

And you can’t try to heal and see the world sensibly now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Have you ever had to run from "those types"?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

And you can’t try to heal and see the world sensibly now?

The world is an angry mess of self centered intentions. Hatred is a burning river with this "collective unconscious". 

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Have you ever had to run from "those types"?

No. Now I would just laugh but as a kid I realize it’s different.

Just now, XenoFish said:

The world is an angry mess of self centered intentions. Hatred is a burning river with this "collective unconscious". 

And I see people as basically good with issues sometimes.

And we live on the same earth.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

No. Now I would just laugh but as a kid I realize it’s different.

Well, as a kid I was always shocked at the treatment I got for being able to understand what I read in the Bible and try to point out that the adult was wrong or confused (actually lazy).  And my friend, as an adult actually did have to run from her relatives and church members because they wanted her be the object of an exorcism.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

And I see people as basically good with issues sometimes.

And we live on the same earth.

You don't see what I see and feel what I feel. You don't understand. You wish, I experience. 

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Well, as a kid I was always shocked at the treatment I got for being able to understand what I read in the Bible and try to point out that the adult was wrong or confused (actually lazy).  

Actually my Christian ex-wife persecuted me for hours and hours of screaming over my 'New Age' beliefs. I listened calmly and thought she was not very intelligent about such subjects. No use arguing back with those hostile types.

But I see as a kid things are different.

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

And my friend, as an adult actually did have to run from her relatives and church members because they wanted her be the object of an exorcism.

Ahh, I have more trouble understanding that. We don't have forced 'exorcisms' of adults in this country.

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

You don't see what I see and feel what I feel. You don't understand. You wish, I experience. 

And you don't think I experience too? 

I'm just saying as an adult you don't need to fear what others think.

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Actually my Christian ex-wife persecuted me for hours and hours of screaming over my 'New Age' beliefs. I listened calmly and thought she was not very intelligent about such subjects. No use arguing back with those hostile types.

But I see as a kid things are different.

Ahh, I have more trouble understanding that. We don't have forced 'exorcisms' of adults in this country.

This happened in Texas, which is the USA (most of the time).  It is not dependent on country, but rather the church and what people will put up with and what they will force on people.