Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Europa Clipper mission gets the go-ahead

UM-Bot

Yay! Of all the places outside of earth europa is the one that i look at and think there is definitely life there! Something about the shade and manner of the deposits on the ice and the similarity to earth just scream it to me... But in a subtle way I can't elaborate. I wonder if it looks anything like the underside of ice shelves here.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

I hope Arthur C. Clarke is proven right, and we do find indisputable evidence of life on Europa. It sure does look like a living planet...

• Like 1

1:4:9

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

It sure does look like a living planet...

In what way?

(Ignoring the fact that it is not a planet) all we really know about Europa is that it has a frozen surface and a probable liquid water ocean underneath. Whilst that makes it a good place to look for life there is absolutely zero evidence that life exists there. How does that make it look like a living world? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/21/2019 at 1:13 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

In what way?

(Ignoring the fact that it is not a planet) all we really know about Europa is that it has a frozen surface and a probable liquid water ocean underneath. Whilst that makes it a good place to look for life there is absolutely zero evidence that life exists there. How does that make it look like a living world? 

For one there is some sort of process going on underneath to keep dusting the ice with residue. Maybe even pedoturbation would explain the trails. Just the fact that there is an iron core and a deep salty ocean on top with enough pressures to warm it to liquid and blow out plumes is interesting. Then you have an atmosphere thats primarily oxygen, and the fact that the temperature doesnt vary much between day and night. We have a very similar composition to earth... I mean isn't it obvious?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

For one there is some sort of process going on underneath to keep dusting the ice with residue. Maybe even pedoturbation would explain the trails. 

Well someone has been using Google to post facts they don't understand. 

"Some sort of process" is the key phrase here because it constitutes evidence of geological activity not biological. 

Pedoturbation is a process which generates soil by geological activity and so is not evidence of life.

Just the fact that there is an iron core and a deep salty ocean on top with enough pressures to warm it to liquid and blow out plumes is interesting.

Interesting yes. Evidence for life... no.

Then you have an atmosphere thats primarily oxygen

Which is evidence for life how?

Earth's atmosphere is primarily nitrogen. Further more the atmosphere of Europa is extremely tenuous. Even worse for your case the origin of Europa's atmosphere is known:

Unlike the oxygen in Earth's atmosphere, Europa's is not of biological origin. The surface-bounded atmosphere forms through radiolysis, the dissociation of molecules through radiation.

Source: Wikipedia

and the fact that the temperature doesnt vary much between day and night.

And that is evidence for the existence of life how? I'll answer that for you, it isn't. 

We have a very similar composition to earth...

No, we have a world that has some interesting similarities to Earth. 

I mean isn't it obvious?

What is obvious is that you don't understand either the point I made or the conceptof scientific evidence (most likely both).

My point was this:

On 8/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Whilst that makes it a good place to look for life there is absolutely zero evidence that life exists there.

You have provided no evidence for the existence of life on Europa. Rather than disprove my assertion your post has further reinforced it.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Well someone has been using Google to post facts they don't understand. 

"Some sort of process" is the key phrase here because it constitutes evidence of geological activity not biological. 

Pedoturbation is a process which generates soil by geological activity and so is not evidence of life.

Interesting yes. Evidence for life... no.

Which is evidence for life how?

Earth's atmosphere is primarily nitrogen. Further more the atmosphere of Europa is extremely tenuous. Even worse for your case the origin of Europa's atmosphere is known:

Source: Wikipedia

And that is evidence for the existence of life how? I'll answer that for you, it isn't. 

No, we have a world that has some interesting similarities to Earth. 

What is obvious is that you don't understand either the point I made or the conceptof scientific evidence (most likely both).

My point was this:

You have provided no evidence for the existence of life on Europa. Rather than disprove my assertion your post has further reinforced it.

Geological activity? Im guessing you dont know your latin. "Ped" means foot. And pedoturbation is the process of animals walking and turning the dirt.  I listed a random possibility that they are trails of some sort. Also this is UM nobody poated that on Google i only said it here, perhaps if they had u might have understood what it meant. Also the word "maybe" means i see it as a remote possibility, not that it is a fact on google.

I am aware that the primarily oxygen atmosphere is thin... And? You say you know how it was made? Interesting please share with the rest of the world.

Also you really need to calm down there... Nobody said anything about evidence for life and you are sorely mistaken if you think completely misunderstaning my opinion proves much besides your own failed character. You shouldnt be heckling peoples opinions and feelings and then having the nerve to claim i didnt understand something... You didnt even understand the words i used.

Also i didnt say that non-variant temperature is evidence of life... Maybe if you stopped assigning so many random non existent claims to everything i say u might begin to grasp the meaning.

What i was inferring is that the temperate climate sounds a bit hospitable. Try comprehensive reading, it will help you understand what you are missing.

Also while you are brushing up vocabulary you might want to explore the scientific process and what hypothesis and observations are... It would appear you are the one falling a bit short on understand the scientific process so u might want to learn about it before you start cutting othe people down and claiming they havent. I actually scored perfect on my science portion when i graduated putting me in the 98th percentile without ever studying it so i may not be an expert at anything but i am definitely not as lacking as you consistently claim based off of my opinions of whats interesting and makes an ocean hospitable.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1