Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whistle Blower Leaks Googles Political Bias

OverSword

Interview with document leaker who exposed Googles practices used to direct the political dialogue in the USA (I guess it's okay for google to do what is not okay for Russia to do).  The reason I don't put this in the conspiracy theory section is because there is footage of google being asked about these documents by congress in the video.

• Like 4

I've been over at projectveritas.com checking out related articles.  Pretty interesting stuff, but not surprising.  There have been several times over the last couple of years where I had great difficulty  trying to find info on google that had been the first thing to pop up the day before.

Perfect example of Google being fair:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-3.13.29-PM.png

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

About the images, I get "hillary clinton emails pdf" and "hillary clinton emails download" as suggestions. 

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

About the images, I get "hillary clinton emails pdf" and "hillary clinton emails download" as suggestions. 

Now.  I remember that exact thing happening a couple of years ago.

Edited by OverSword

Project veritas is a **** show and not a reliable source. They've been caught faking and manufacturing their material.

• Like 1

Hmmm.  I just typed in Hillary Clinton emails and got Hillary Clinton emails pdf, Hillary clinton emails download, Judicial Watch:FBI Admits Hillary Clinton Emails found in White House and Fox News "Foreign Actors accessed Hillary Clintons emails. 

I think Project Veritas is just doing the same "editing" that got them criminal charges with Planned Parenthood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All companies seem to have some kind of political bias, how many companies donated big money for Trump's election.  Google deals in information that is their big money. I have found computer nerds tend to have liberal leanings.  I guess it comes from being the downtrodden by jocks and cheerleaders in high school.   So when they write algorithm it is going to have liberal leanings.  I Google "climate", the third thing on the drop down was something about Mitch McConnell b***hing about being called Moscow Mitch, I have no idea what that has to do with climate.  That is a liberal bias.   It could be worst, the government could control what we see. Seeing how they are starting to make laws about content presented on internet it is only a matter of time.    https://gizmodo.com/new-bill-aims-to-rein-in-youtubes-free-for-all-approach-1833809551    I am sure nothing would make Trump happier, it's what his fascist friends do.   

43 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Project veritas is a **** show and not a reliable source. They've been caught faking and manufacturing their material.

Proof?  Other than google I think in this case :D

But do you think that guy wasn't a Google employee or that they manufactured the footage of the police confronting him?  Or do you seriously believe that google doesn't or hasn't manipulated search results?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Hmmm.  I just typed in Hillary Clinton emails and got Hillary Clinton emails pdf, Hillary clinton emails download, Judicial Watch:FBI Admits Hillary Clinton Emails found in White House and Fox News "Foreign Actors accessed Hillary Clintons emails. 

I think Project Veritas is just doing the same "editing" that got them criminal charges with Planned Parenthood.

You mean this?

Project Veritas Admits It Paid Woman To Lie About Moore Impregnating Her To Smear The Post

Link

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Proof?  Other than google I think in this case :D

But do you think that guy wasn't a Google employee or that they manufactured the footage of the police confronting him?  Or do you seriously believe that google doesn't or hasn't manipulated search results?

Here's a link

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

I have no comment on the story other than project veritas is not reliable 

6 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Here's a link

I have no comment on the story other than project veritas is not reliable 

but source watch is?  And if you go in and read the "link" all it says is that it has its undercover people lie to get information from sources.  Kind of like any undercover operation huh?  And hilariously that link cites things such as ACORN.  If you had ever seen that video you would know those acorn morons were crooked as it gets. 

But don't beleive veritas

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=former+google+employee+leaks+documents+showing+political+bias&t=h_&ia=web

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I am sure nothing would make Trump happier, it's what his fascist friends do.

Google has no business trying to shape public opinion using forcible control of information.  They have reached the point of being a public utility and will be broken up and regulated like the phone company was.  Can you imagine Ma Bell choosing only to provide reliable service for those people they agree with politically?  No...Google is not long for this world as it presently exists.

Besides, heavy-handed control of public information by a mammoth corporation for the purpose of steering elections IS the very definition of corporate fascism.  Google are the fascist wannabes...for now.

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

but source watch is?  And if you go in and read the "link" all it says is that it has its undercover people lie to get information from sources.  Kind of like any undercover operation huh?  And hilariously that link cites things such as ACORN.  If you had ever seen that video you would know those acorn morons were crooked as it gets. 

But don't beleive veritas

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=former+google+employee+leaks+documents+showing+political+bias&t=h_&ia=web

There are many more sources. Their founder has been convicted of fraud among other charges. I'm not gonna waste my time any further.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I've been over at projectveritas.com checking out related articles.  Pretty interesting stuff, but not surprising.  There have been several times over the last couple of years where I had great difficulty  trying to find info on google that had been the first thing to pop up the day before.

Perfect example of Google being fair:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-3.13.29-PM.png

Google's search suggestions and results are based on an algorithm that has to do with popular searches, popular (and reputable when it comes to news) sources and your own Google imprint. They're not actively directing anything due to perceived political bias.

And that Project Veritas guy has been caught on numerous occasions trying to set up politicians and fabricate stories. He's an absolute disaster.

Here's the Google employee that he's using as a source.

What O’Keefe’s video leaves out, though, is that his much-hyped insider is not as credible as he claims. On social media, Vorhies is an avid promoter of anti-Semitic accusations that banks, the media, and the United States government are controlled by “Zionists.” He’s also pushed conspiracy theories like QAnon, Pizzagate, and the discredited claim that vaccines cause autism.

------------------------

On his Twitter account, @Perpetualmaniac, Vorhies repeatedly attacks Jewish people and accuses them of a wide range of crimes. (Both O’Keefe and his group, Project Veritas, promoted Vorhies’s Twitter account in tweets on Monday.)

He even alleges that “Zionists” killed conservative publisher and O’Keefe mentor Andrew Breitbart, who died of heart failure in 2012. 

“It’s very simple, either you go along with the zionists or you end up like Andrew Breitbart,” Vorhies wrote in January. 

In a May tweet, Vorhies accused Israel of plotting the 9/11 attacks, and encouraged Twitter users to look up 9/11-related conspiracy theory content, providing no evidence of his claims.

“Israel and the zionist cabal planned 9/11 and its going to all come out,” Vorhies wrote. 

Vorhies also regularly uses symbols and language popular with white supremacists online. In multiple tweets, he referenced “ZOG” — long-time white supremacist abbreviation  for the “Zionist Occupation Government,” the conspiracy theory that the U.S. government is controlled by Jewish interests. In one tweet, he used #ZOG and #Illuminati hashtags to allege that an election was being stolen in Florida. In another, he accused the public-interest group Free Press of being a front for a Jewish cabal.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/james-okeefes-google-whistleblower-loves-qanon-accused-zionists-of-running-the-government

That's your Google "insider". An absolute Qanon conspiracy nutjob who's about as credible as a crackhead on a street corner holding up a sign heralding end times.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I'm not gonna waste my time any further.

MmmmHmmm.

Okay, okay, but maybe these "950 documents!" really prove something. Well, rest assured, they did not. As Matthew Feeney from the noted leftist bastion (that's sarcasm for the slow ones), the Cato Institute pointed out, there's "a whole lot of nothing" in the documents. One folder is labeled "Censorship" and all it has are screenshots of emails without any context. It shows someone sending an email to Google CEO Sundar Pichai arguing that Breitbart shouldn't get to use AdSense, but that's it. One random employee -- out of 100,000 or so employees sending an email to the CEO? And there's no evidence that AdSense has barred Breitbart (trust me, we'd have heard about it).

One of the leaked documents also isn't new and is completely misrepresented. Project Veritas had already posted it back in June and totally misrepresented it then. They claim it shows "election interference" regarding Ireland's election in which abortion rights were up for referendum. Project Veritas -- because they have to misrepresent basically everything -- claimed it proved that YouTube was trying to influence the election by suppressing searches on phrases like "abortion is murdering." What they leave out in all the hype and bluster, is that the document also contains many, many phrases on the other side of the debate, including "repeal the 8th," "pro choice," "woman's right to choose" and more. In other words, the document is not YouTube putting its finger on the scales, but, just as the company explained at the time, an attempt to have the top results on YouTube be focused on more authoritative neutral content providers, rather than those pushing one side or the other. That's... kinda reasonable? And also the very thing that "conservatives" keep demanding of the company -- to be "neutral."

Indeed, so much of these documents seem to be evidence of Google trying to figure out how to deal with liars, trolls, and propagandists peddling nonsense. And PV turns that into "proof" of anti-conservative bias. Sorry, dudes. Unless you're admitting that "conservative" only means liars, trolls and propagandists peddling nonsense...

Amusingly, among the documents, which were released the very same day a laughably bad complaint was filed against YouTube for discriminating against LGBTQ+ folks, was a document about how YouTube was trying to improve its machine learning algorithms to better handle such content.

Most news sources are not covering this -- not because they're avoiding it, but because it's bull****. Of the few that have, as the Next Web notes, there's nothing particularly damning anywhere. Well, unless you're going to take documents totally out of context.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20190815/18023542791/latest-google-whistleblower-to-prove-anti-conservative-bias-doesnt-prove-anything-appears-to-be-bigoted-conspiracy-theorist.shtml

• Like 2

That's the Cato Institute guy mentioned above, and his Twitter thread is worth having a look at. He works as the libertarian Cato Institue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's the Cato Institute guy mentioned above, and his Twitter thread is worth having a look at. He works as the libertarian Cato Institue.

Kind of makes you wonder what that footage with the police was all about huh?  So I guess that proves it.  Google is totally above board :lol::lol:

52 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Google has no business trying to shape public opinion using forcible control of information.  They have reached the point of being a public utility and will be broken up and regulated like the phone company was.

That's kind of a hard sell considering the conservatives in government don't even feel fit to label the internet a public utility, hence the repeal of net neutrality laws.  Google is a public utility, but internet access isn't?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I always bring up net neutrality when stuff likes this pops up.  Taking your business elsewhere doesn't work when there is a monopoly- like some of the carriers around the US.  They want their cake and to eat it too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Kind of makes you wonder what that footage with the police was all about huh?  So I guess that proves it.  Google is totally above board :lol::lol:

Google is due a lot of criticism for a lot of different reasons, but swaying 1.5 million voters (which is what Trump has just recently claimed happened, referencing Veritas) through political manipulation doesn't seem to be one of them.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

so where is the news?  everyone knows google is a liberal tool, and do adjust search results, they also crate dictionary, then they change meanings to the words depending on liberal agenda,  all of it is a common knowledge based on real world deeds.  

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

That's kind of a hard sell considering the conservatives in government don't even feel fit to label the internet a public utility, hence the repeal of net neutrality laws.  Google is a public utility, but internet access isn't?  

Anti-trust laws apply to companies/corporations.  Google is a company..."the internet" is not.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Anti-trust laws apply to companies/corporations.  Google is a company..."the internet" is not.

Antitrust and labeling something a public utility have nothing to do with each other...