Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Starvation in Venezuela is on the rise

59 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"Hitting a new low of desperation, Venezuelans are now fleeing the country due to hunger, according to the latest figures released by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and other United Nations agencies.

"Starvation in Venezuela is on the rise, according to an FAO report on food security and nutrition published last month. Malnourishment there surged sevenfold, from three percent in 2010 to 21 percent last year."

Full article at al Jazeera: https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/state-venezuelan-displacement-starvation-multiply-190819211122417.html

And at the UK Financial Times: https://www.ft.com/content/b6459434-b531-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

 

"The UN estimates there will be 5.3 million Venezuelan refugees and migrants by the end of 2019, rivaling the scale of the Syrian refugee crisis.

"By 2020, there will be 8 million Venezuelan refugees, making this crisis the largest refugee crisis in the world."

At Mercy Corps dot com (charity): https://www.mercycorps.org/articles/venezuela-crisis-quick-facts

 

"Number of Venezuelan migrants could double to eight million: OAS"

From June at Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-oas/number-of-venezuelan-migrants-could-double-to-eight-million-oas-idUSKCN1TT2TA

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor

Wonder if they will come here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Wonder if they will come here? 

I thought most Venezuelans preferred Maduro and that the bully U.S. needed to keep away from pressuring their government?  So we didn't strike to "impose our will" and now we're expected to take millions of Venezuelans in?  Sounds like a great working model to empty portions of south and central America and bring them in here in their millions.  You people never miss a trick.  Disgusting.

Edited by and then
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

With respect to the OP - it's a horrific thing to allow to happen in our hemisphere and steps could and SHOULD be taken to help those innocents.  No country in that region can take on the waves of migrants by themselves and we should do what we can to help with food and other basic humanitarian needs to those surrounding countries that agree to help.  We should also work with those neighbors to create a solution to force a change in that government by whatever level of force necessary.  GOOD governments don't freakin' STARVE their people into mass migration.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, and then said:

I thought most Venezuelans preferred Maduro and that the bully U.S. needed to keep away from pressuring their government?  So we didn't strike to "impose our will" and now we're expected to take millions of Venezuelans in?  Sounds like a great working model to empty portions of south and central America and bring them in here in their millions.  You people never miss a trick.  Disgusting.

Pretty sure the Maduro supporters are staying.  The ones fleeing would be the US backed faction- you know the ones that believe in capitalism and America and all that.   

Edited by Gromdor
spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

wow socialism really works for them, doesn't it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
3 minutes ago, aztek said:

wow socialism really works for them, doesn't it.

Capitalism isn't working for them either since they can't sell their oil or buy any products because of sanctions and embargoes.  They are pretty much screwed unless they give up self determination and bend to the US and it's oil companies.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
56 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Wonder if they will come here? 

This is CNN "If she applies, she'll join an alarming trend: Venezuelans are now the top asylum seekers in the US, ahead of citizens from China, Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador. It's the first time Venezuelans have topped the list."

I read in another article it is 290,000 so far.  But you hear very little about their migration here because they come in *legally* - as in, we know their name and where to find them.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

This is CNN "If she applies, she'll join an alarming trend: Venezuelans are now the top asylum seekers in the US, ahead of citizens from China, Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador. It's the first time Venezuelans have topped the list."

I read in another article it is 290,000 so far.  But you hear very little about their migration here because they come in *legally* - as in, we know their name and where to find them.

That's not what conservative media is saying: https://www.conservativereview.com/news/illegal-immigration-rise-venezuela/

And Then was right to a degree when he said I was playing a "trick".  I only said, "Wonder if they will come here?", because I already knew that they were and many illegally at that.

It's Karma.  We play games with other countries and this sort of thing is the karmic retribution. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Pretty sure the Maduro supporters are staying.  The ones fleeing would be the US backed faction- you know the ones that believe in capitalism and America and all that.   

In other words, the *smart* ones. The Maduro supporters are finding out more and more that the working innovative people are the ones that supported them after all, not bleepin' Maduro. All he ever did was steal from the workers and give it to the non worker Maduro supporters.

Now that the worker bees that are able bodied are leaving that slave system for greener pastures, it's all falling apart for the Maduro supporters. I welcome the refugees in! They are not coming in to the US to get on welfare, for the most part, they are coming here to improve their lives.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Capitalism isn't working for them either since they can't sell their oil or buy any products because of sanctions and embargoes.  They are pretty much screwed unless they give up self determination and bend to the US and it's oil companies.

 

how can a capitalism work in a socialist country? lamo,.

them selling oil, or not selling it and them being a socialistic country are not related at all. when their gvmnt was selling it,(and pocketing all the money)  their lives were pretty bad still. 

i know you try to make us look like it is our fault, well, nice try, but no cigar

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps

After two unsuccessful coups, the leftist guerillas finally got their way when Hugo Chavez was elected in 1998. Up  until that time, Venezuela, per capita, was a very rich nation, certainly the most rich in South America, and 4th richest per capita in the world.

Then the socialist "Candy Man" took control, Hugo Chavez. And it's been a steady drive down ever since. 

I doubt Venezuela will ever get back to where it once was, as the people that could turn it around in a democratic way (or otherwise) are fleeing the country. Good luck, Venezuelans. you will need it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
Posted (edited)

Does anybody actually think that all the promises of free goodies that Bernie Sanders and Liz Warren - two leading Democrat presidential candidates make, are that much different than the promises of free goodies that Chavez/Maduro made?

They may even be more expensive!   Rinse and repeat.  And the unwashed, low information voters don't care.

"Everything FREE in  a- mere-EE-ca" (West Side Story)

 

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
15 minutes ago, aztek said:

 

how can a capitalism work in a socialist country? lamo,.

them selling oil, or not selling it and them being a socialistic country are not related at all. i know you try to make us look like it is our fault, well, nice try, but no cigar

Everyone is only pretending it is a socialist country.  We all know it really is a dictatorship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
6 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Does anybody actually think that all the promises of free goodies that Bernie Sanders and Liz Warren - two leading Democrat presidential candidates make, are that much different than the promises of free goodies that Chavez/Maduro made?

They may even be more expensive!   Rinse and repeat.  And the unwashed, low information voters don't care.

"Everything FREE in  a- mere-EE-ca" (West Side Story)

 

even if millions of Venezuelans come and scream from the top of their lungs, do not vote socialism, do not buy "free stuff" bul crap,  no liberal here will listen to them

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Everyone is only pretending it is a socialist country.  We all know it really is a dictatorship.

we all know socialism = dictatorship in real world, that is why many oppose it, for several reasons/

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Everyone is only pretending it is a socialist country.  We all know it really is a dictatorship.

Correct. By its constitution, Venezuela is not a Marxist "state", I agree. But,  in practice, Chavez and Maduro indeed pass legislation that is socialist in nature. It is the same as saying America is not a socialist country, yet there we are with "SOCIAL security", welfare, section 8, food stamps etc., It's just that Chavez/Maduro rachet it up a notch, a BIG notch.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor

The irony is that Trump and the US is supporting Guaido who is a Democratic-Socialist (and a bit of a globalist) against Maduro (whom everyone calls a dictator). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
13 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

After two unsuccessful coups, the leftist guerillas finally got their way when Hugo Chavez was elected in 1998. Up  until that time, Venezuela, per capita, was a very rich nation, certainly the most rich in South America, and 4th richest per capita in the world.

Then the socialist "Candy Man" took control, Hugo Chavez. And it's been a steady drive down ever since. 

I doubt Venezuela will ever get back to where it once was, as the people that could turn it around in a democratic way (or otherwise) are fleeing the country. Good luck, Venezuelans. you will need it.

What source?

Venezuela's troubles go back at least to the eighties.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
14 hours ago, aztek said:

 

how can a capitalism work in a socialist country? lamo,.

them selling oil, or not selling it and them being a socialistic country are not related at all. when their gvmnt was selling it,(and pocketing all the money)  their lives were pretty bad still. 

i know you try to make us look like it is our fault, well, nice try, but no cigar

Well, I'd certainly agree that it is probably not America's fault. 

The downturn in their oil exports preceeded the sanctions, and was down to zero investment in their oil-drilling/producing infrastructure. The costs of producing oil gradually rose higher and higher, until it became uneconomic on the world markets when the world oil price dropped. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
20 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

What source?

Venezuela's troubles go back at least to the eighties.

They're sitting on top of an oil reserve that should make them like Saudis.  Socialism kills, man.  History proves this yet people keep falling for the lies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
12 minutes ago, and then said:

They're sitting on top of an oil reserve that should make them like Saudis.  Socialism kills, man.  History proves this yet people keep falling for the lies.

Oil based economies all have problems.  Venezuela had problems a good 20 years before Chavismo.

Besides the USA effectively gained operational control of the oil production before the US government shutdown.

The longer this goes on the more I think this is part of the 2020 election campaign.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gwynbleidd
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, aztek said:

wow socialism really works for them, doesn't it.

Totally agree @aztek - I was reading someone's comment on another board about this, they said...First the guns were taken away...then socialism was introduced...now look where that's got them.

This is horribly sad.

Actually @Golden Duck that's very true re the past 20 years.  They haven't done very well since that time.  Yes it does make you wonder if it has some election connection somewhere.

Edited by pixiii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gwynbleidd
14 hours ago, aztek said:

we all know socialism = dictatorship in real world, that is why many oppose it, for several reasons/

There's that and afaik, I don't think any country has quite ever managed to make socialism work long term...ie. generational long term.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
16 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Wonder if they will come here? 

Would you want to help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.