Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Grizzly bear kills soundgathering musician

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

A Franco-Canadian man died after being attacked by a grizzly bear in a remote area of Canada last week, police announced on Monday.

Julien Gauthier, a 44-year-old musician, was surprised by the animal in his sleep.

He was travelling along the Mackenzie River to record sounds of nature for a musical project.

Unprovoked grizzly bear attacks are usually very rare, conservation officers say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49412385

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
OverSword
21 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A Franco-Canadian man died after being attacked by a grizzly bear in a remote area of Canada last week, police announced on Monday.

Julien Gauthier, a 44-year-old musician, was surprised by the animal in his sleep.

He was travelling along the Mackenzie River to record sounds of nature for a musical project.

Unprovoked grizzly bear attacks are usually very rare, conservation officers say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49412385

I hate bears.  Scariest animal around if you don't live near lions or tigers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

If he recorded the sounds of his own death that's horrible... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I hate bears.  Scariest animal around if you don't live near lions or tigers.

Even black bears are untrustworthy.

I rather deal with a cougar because at least I know where I stand. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Even black bears are untrustworthy.

Folks in the Smokey Mountains park discover that every so often...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

Bears don't have to be provoked; they just have to be curious and/or hungry. Solo journeys into the wild are fraught with potential dangers. One becomes part of and subject to the ecosystem and it's denizens aren't aware that we are suppose to be the paragon of animals and lords of creation. I'm sorry for the poor chap, to have such a beautiful adventure end so tragically and horrifically. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist

I learned to be very wary of bears after living in Alaska. I didn't go out there without my bear mace. Now I live in Florida and there are plenty of black bear. Some are skinny which makes me think they must be hungry! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
newbloodmoon

If it was a polar bear he could’ve painted a number on it.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, Goddess of the Mist said:

I learned to be very wary of bears after living in Alaska. I didn't go out there without my bear mace. Now I live in Florida and there are plenty of black bear. Some are skinny which makes me think they must be hungry! 

I used shoe bells when I lived in Alaska.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbondo

99% of all bears would rather not interact with people. The exception is polar bears, who, having little interaction will hunt you because to them, you're just another prey animal. They have no fear. Now, there are polar bears who live close to communities that would prefer to not go after animals they soon learn are just as dangerous as they are. Even at that, if opportunity presents, yeah, even those bears will make a meal of you. I would never go into any predator country without a high powered rifle and a sidearm. To hell with the bear spray, if you have time to pull the can, you have time to raise your rifle. Just a matter of not panicking. Would I rather not shoot the bear? Of course! I'd much rather watch as it crosses the hillside in front of me and marvel at it's beauty and power. That is, out of season. Black bear populations have grown to massive proportions, especially in the NE US. They need to be thinned out for their own survival. To tell the truth, I'd much rather take my chances with a grizzly than a black bear. The latter is far more likely to attack you on one of those rare occasions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
On 8/20/2019 at 3:52 PM, Piney said:

Even black bears are untrustworthy.

Too much like people.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy

I don't understand people going camping in bear country.I suppose if you grow up with bears around, you just live with it.Sort of like snakes here,although they don't target you, will still kill you if you get bitten miles from any help.I've had big feral pigs walk within feet of me sleeping while out bush,I found the tracks the next morning,they could have killed and eaten me so camping around big predators,not for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
1 hour ago, openozy said:

I don't understand people going camping in bear country.I suppose if you grow up with bears around, you just live with it.Sort of like snakes here,although they don't target you, will still kill you if you get bitten miles from any help.I've had big feral pigs walk within feet of me sleeping while out bush,I found the tracks the next morning,they could have killed and eaten me so camping around big predators,not for me.

Its kinda tough in the Pacific Northwest not to be in bear country.  When I said they are too much like people, they have personalities and moods it seems, not always readable until they act.  I've seen bear and cougar sign, one of my old hunting buddies claims to have stared down a wolf. He should know but I kidded him about it being a coyote, which by the way should be kept at a distance too.  

I am not a big time hunter, never was an expert.  I haven't mostly carried a gun on hikes in the last 20 years or so.  I try to be aware and careful, but I screw up too.  I am probably here because the last bear I met up close was a tolerant one.   He was full of berries. 

I heard a commotion on the trail that ran in back of where I had camped the night before.  I went to see who was invading my privacy. Two men hiking with their dog, a very large breed puppy  had come upon a bear.  The dog was barking and straining at the leash and the bear had been lying down eating.  When the bear was ready he lurched to his feet.  The dog spooked and ran backwards, as did the two guys.  The leash got tangled in my legs as they ran by and the dog bowled me over   Big mistake!  Keep your distance when possible.  I should never have been close enough behind them for that to happen.  I was on my butt about 20 feet from the approaching bear.  The bear huffed turned and ambled away, but I could have been done.  The guys just watched from about 30 feet  further back with a cringing puppy. Then they beat feet. 

I decided it might be a good idea to find another place to camp.

Never depend on the good nature of another critter. Its funny now, but it was a serious thing at the time and I am to blame for being stupid.  It might have been comforting to have had a sidearm, glad I lived to rethink that.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
openozy
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

When I said they are too much like people, they have personalities and moods it seems, not always readable until they act. 

I think most animals have different personalities,maybe not as moody as bears as you describe but humans are the most dangerous and treacherous animals imo.

 

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I decided it might be a good idea to find another place to camp.

Like on a bear free continent?lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbondo
On 5/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, Tatetopa said:

Too much like people.

I'd say people have the bears beat, hands down.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
13 minutes ago, jbondo said:

I'd say people have the bears beat, hands down.

Yes.  Seriously, that is when I thought about carrying a handgun when I began seeing dubious  humans singly and in groups that seem too interested in me and other hikers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbondo
1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Yes.  Seriously, that is when I thought about carrying a handgun when I began seeing dubious  humans singly and in groups that seem too interested in me and other hikers.

You see all these missing 411 books, videos and TV shows, but frankly, I don't see (example) ET's coming down and taking people, I am more inclined to believe what you are eluding to. Serial killers have a history of frequenting state parks and forestland, campgrounds, etc...not to mention the random nut who robs and/or kills out there. Some of the strangest things I've seen in my life have been in the woods. One time I climbed out on the roof of my friend's cabin that was deep in the woods/mountain to catch the sunrise. Here I am enjoying the faint beginnings of sunlight and I notice some dude (not dressed for hiking or the woods in general). He's not waling up, or down the mountain, but across. No trail or path of any kind. He's just clumsily making his way thru the bush. It was creepy to say the least. One night we were up there around 1AM and someone starts shooting....at us! At first we didn't know what was going on, but when a round hit a tree next to me and another hit the cabin, I didn't need anymore hints. I got out the 12 gauge I'd planned on using to hunt small game the next day and let go with both barrels. Suffice it to say, no more shooting in our direction or at all for that matter. We never did find out anything regarding that incident. Nor did I ever know who the wandering guy was. Many other things happened as I spent a lot of time in the woods in my younger days. Yeah, there's some real shifty people out there. Even those who wouldn't normally do something become emboldened because they figure they can get away with it out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
11 minutes ago, jbondo said:

One night we were up there around 1AM and someone starts shooting....at us!

I know, it is not safe anymore.  You can't assume everybody is out there because they love nature.  In a similar experience to yours, My coworker and I were standing by our pickup on a forest service road bordering company land.  One shot hit the gravel road between us and the pickup.  We heard two more shots but did see where they came from.  We had a radio in the pickup but no firearms.    I could write it off to somebody with a grudge against Weyco and trying to scare us, but it also could have been a crazy.

Sounds pretty paranoid on my part but that is another thing that soured me on hunting season.  Some accidents occur, mostly due to stupid people, but some of those unexplained shootings could be somebody hitting what they aimed at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbondo
7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

.Sounds pretty paranoid on my part but that is another thing that soured me on hunting season.  Some accidents occur, mostly due to stupid people, but some of those unexplained shootings could be somebody hitting what they aimed at.

Speaking of hunting season, I'll never forget the day I walked smack dab into the middle of a drive. Rounds going everywhere as deer are running between me and the shooters. I dropped to the ground and just laid there. After, I got up and yelled at them. Terrible and dangerous hunting practices. Thankfully, where I grew up, the majority were very safe and responsible.

You mention someone maybe wanting to send a message, or scare you. They don't consider the possibility of accidentally hitting you on bounce or fragments of an exploded round. Not to mention you or your friend moving just as they fire into the path of the bullet. Even those who may not want to hurt you don't think about all the possibilities. Plus, as you eluded to: You never know their intentions....may have just missed. Being shot at in broad daylight, knowing it's specifically for you...that would raise the hairs on my neck. I'll bet after you had time to think about it, you were shaking a bit.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
1 hour ago, jbondo said:

I'll bet after you had time to think about it, you were shaking a bit.

Yep.  When we got back to the plantsite we reported in.  We had already radioed back  to alert log truck drivers or other traffic.  A couple of our security guys, mostly there to protect against thievery and vandalism found nothing. Not too surprising  My father in law was a road builder and logging supervisor.  Spent 40 years in the woods, risked his life fighting fires  but never got fired upon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy
4 hours ago, jbondo said:

He's not waling up, or down the mountain, but across. No trail or path of any kind. He's just clumsily making his way thru the bush. It was creepy to say the least.

Probably had a crop in there,they use different paths in all the time to avoid detection from tracks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbondo
On 5/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, openozy said:

Probably had a crop in there,they use different paths in all the time to avoid detection from tracks.

Anywhere else, I'd say yes, but I knew every inch of that place for miles around. Not to mention, guys like that usually carry and I got a close, clear view of him. no rifle or sidearm. Oddly, he never turned his head toward the cabin, which, again, was creepy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

I never go into the backwoods or a wilderness area unarmed. I've always thought it a mistake to call them "Parks" as it lulls people into a childish mindset and a false sense of security. People clown around and get washed away over steep waterfalls, fall off mountains thinking they're just taking a casual nature walk, get attacked by wild beasts or preyed on by other humans. Yosemite and Yellowstone aren't Central Park--and even that place holds it's own perils! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
On 5/28/2020 at 5:35 AM, newbloodmoon said:

If it was a polar bear he could’ve painted a number on it.

I used shoe bells when I lived in Alaska.

Oh yes, that's a good tactic too. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.