Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness monster theory 'remains plausible'

Still Waters

22 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Jeremy Wade suggests the Greenland Shark as a suspect.

Is it confirmed they enter fresh water?

I think there are over 20 Locks from the sea through the caledonian canal to Loch Ness.. I would love to see how a Greenland shark would negotiate them?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Couldn't agree more!  Right now in the Cattle Mutilation thread, with 10,000 reports of mutilations there is someone with a slew of excuses to go with every report. State, County and local police reports, Lab reports, one was Colorado State University labs, - nothing matters to these nutters!

I know. The poster repeatedly posts tripe without evidence and pretends that their opinion and made up baloney somehow compares to the actual evidence I have posted. Bizarre right?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Couldn't agree more!  Right now in the Cattle Mutilation thread, with 10,000 reports of mutilations there is someone with a slew of excuses to go with every report. State, County and local police reports, Lab reports, one was Colorado State University labs, - nothing matters to these nutters!

eot, this is a thread about loch ness, please try not to derail threads with your cross contaminating, if you want to rant about cattle mutilation as you pointed out there is a thread to do so in...;)

Edited by the13bats

On 8/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Timothy said:

Are there any confirmed reports of sturgeon in the loch? I know they’re pretty widespread including across the UK.

Maybe it’ll turn into a Nessie fishing competition...

I definitely want to travel and catch a sturgeon one day! 

They are big impressive fish.  I hope they don't kill them.  That would be a waste.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

They are big impressive fish.  I hope they don't kill them.  That would be a waste.

From watching fishing shows I know they are heavily protected in at least some areas of the USA.

Eg. You’re not even allowed to lift them out of the water when you catch them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Timothy said:

From watching fishing shows I know they are heavily protected in at least some areas of the USA.

Eg. You’re not even allowed to lift them out of the water when you catch them. 

Oh, it's in the USA, great, well I hope that law is well and truly obeyed because it is a good one.

Latest:

Loch Ness Monster: Nessie likely to be an eel, say scientists

The creatures behind repeated sightings of the fabled Loch Ness Monster may be giant eels, according to scientists.

Researchers from New Zealand have tried to catalogue all living species in the loch by extracting DNA from water samples.

Following analysis, the scientists have ruled out the presence of large animals said to be behind reports of a monster.

No evidence of a prehistoric marine reptile called a plesiosaur or a large fish such as a sturgeon were found.

Catfish and suggestions that a wandering Greenland shark were behind the sightings were also discounted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49495145

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

About time! They’re such teasers. 

Edit: Basically: Lots of eel DNA, so maybe giant eel they say. 

More likely schools of eel IMHO. They can form large masses and manipulate the surface of the water. 

No DNA of other large suggested species (including sturgeons) found in their samples. 

Edited by Timothy
Edit.

On the general topic of bizarre things in the water, I have been led to believe that there were popular 19th Century gentlemanly periodicals on the migration of giant eels in the British isles. I am pretty sure this wasn't an euphemism but actual eel periodicals. Does anyone know how to reference such things?  I have been reliably told they exist but I haven't been able to find them after 3hrs of fruitless searching.  Has anyone bumped into them?

• Like 1

This is the media finally reporting what the team was doing. From the link provided by StillWaters

The aim of the research was not to find Nessie, but to improve knowledge of what plants and animals live in Loch Ness.

The interesting part is that the Nessie staff had already conjured up the excuse that Nessie was out of the Loch when the eDNA was collected.

A question would be, how long does DNA last in the environment before it is broken down. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_DNA#Aquatic_(water_column)

eDNA degrades relatively fast in the water column, which is very beneficial in short term conservation studies such as identifying what species are present.

That is not a time frame, but discusses with scientists on podcasts put it in the 2 week time frame. It does not last years or even months according to the scientists.

Results are in... could it be a giant eel!?

"After months of speculation surrounding a study into whether the Loch Ness monster was real, the researcher behind it has claimed it could be a giant eel and not a giant plesiosaur from a long-lost era.

Speaking at a press conference early Thursday morning, New Zealand researcher Neil Gemmell gave his "plausible" explanation for what people may have seen in the past, but added that it is most certainly not a dinosaur.

"

https://www.foxnews.com/science/loch-ness-monster-giant-eel-researcher-claims

That settles that!  It may yet not be eels, but it is not some large unknown creature. 

And thanks for the follow up, @Still Waters :tu:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

Related:

Sightings of the "Loch Ness Monster" may in fact be giant eels, according to scientists from New Zealand.

The modern myth of Nessie dates from the 1930s when there were a number of reported sightings - as these 1938 BBC recordings reveal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-49594693/loch-ness-monster-witnesses-describe-their-sightings-in-1938?

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, Still Waters said:

An international team of scientists say they have identified a plausible theory for sightings of the Loch Ness Monster.

The team took 250 water samples at various depths throughout the loch last year, collecting all forms of environmental DNA for further analysis.

While they did not come face to face with Nessie, the scientists say they have a biological explanation for her.

The team will announce the results of their studies next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49419989

https://news.sky.com/story/loch-ness-monster-theory-remains-plausible-scientists-say-11790441

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/328182-loch-ness-monster-study/

lol i posted this already this morning. I put in reply to someone elses topic though. Should have started the topic on a seperate thread.   LOL i think we posted it around the same time hahaha.

So sturgeon, catfish and shark are off the table now, but eel is way ahead. 

I'd imagine if they found seal, or whale, DNA they'd have mentioned it?

• Like 1

We allow sturgeon fishing on the Columbia river. I hear up by the dam is where some big ones are.

Columbia-River-Oversize-Sturgeon-Fishing

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

So sturgeon, catfish and shark are off the table now, but eel is way ahead. 

I'd imagine if they found seal, or whale, DNA they'd have mentioned it?

I personally don't think the Greenland shark was ever a possibility and they say that they have seen seals in the loch but I never have, its a tough canal system to navigate for seal but not impossible, the Greenland shark would need airlifting in or a miracle journey. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 3:21 PM, Timothy said:

Are there any confirmed reports of sturgeon in the loch? I know they’re pretty widespread including across the UK.

Maybe it’ll turn into a Nessie fishing competition...

I definitely want to travel and catch a sturgeon one day! 

To get a good size sturgeon in North America just come up here to Canada, British Columbia really, Fraser River you'll find one pretty easy. 14 foot plus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LucidElement said:

lol i posted this already this morning. I put in reply to someone elses topic though. Should have started the topic on a seperate thread.   LOL i think we posted it around the same time hahaha.

We posted 3 hours apart. I updated this thread 8 hours ago and you posted yours 5 hours ago. It looks like your post has been merged into this thread which is why we're both showing in here.

It's all good :) 

• Like 3

I'm buying the giant eel theory at this point, but I assume (hope?) some doubt will be left so that the area around Loch Ness doesn't get crippled economically due to the loss of tourist income.

The idea of a gigantic eel has to be considered against this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_conger

European congers have an average adult length of 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in), a maximum known length of 3 m (9 ft 10 in), and maximum weight of roughly 110 kg (240 lb),[2]making them the largest eels in the world by weight.

Does a 3m eel or even a 4m eel meet the requirements of Nessie? Do eels raise their heads or tails out of the water?

photos of big congers shown at this link

http://bigfishesoftheworld.blogspot.com/2012/10/conger-eel-conger-conger.html

I'm good with a giant eel. If science backs it then I am good with the findings. It makes as much, if not more, sense than a lot of other theories