Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness monster theory 'remains plausible'

Still Waters

Nice to see scientific proof of what most believe.  That it is not a dinosaur.   I recall many claiming it was most likely eels 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

Nice to see scientific proof of what most believe.  That it is not a dinosaur.   I recall many claiming it was most likely eels 

Plesiosaurs weren't dinosaurs anyway. They were marine reptiles.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stereologist said:

The idea of a gigantic eel has to be considered against this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_conger

Does a 3m eel or even a 4m eel meet the requirements of Nessie? Do eels raise their heads or tails out of the water?

photos of big congers shown at this link

http://bigfishesoftheworld.blogspot.com/2012/10/conger-eel-conger-conger.html

Conger eels are marine only. The eels in question here are European eels, of which a 4 foot specimen is considered extremely large. They are very long lived though so being a bit longer than that isn’t out of the question. That said, there’s no “requirements” for Nessie because there’s never been any actual evidence of any large animal in the Loch, particularly not one raising its head out of the water. 

• Like 1

I've been swabbing chimney tops for years to find proof of the jolly fat man. One day Santa... one day... :mellow:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Despite their name, electric eels aren’t actually eels, just a bit of convergent evolution of body shape. They’re part of freshwater family called knifefish, all of which create electric fields to some degree or another. All true eels spawn in saltwater and only one family, consisting of 19 of about 800 known species, inhabit freshwater as adults. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stereologist said:

The idea of a gigantic eel has to be considered against this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_conger

Does a 3m eel or even a 4m eel meet the requirements of Nessie? Do eels raise their heads or tails out of the water?

photos of big congers shown at this link

http://bigfishesoftheworld.blogspot.com/2012/10/conger-eel-conger-conger.html

A four meter eel, met out swimming, would scare me plenty...

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 3:10 PM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I think there are over 20 Locks from the sea through the caledonian canal to Loch Ness.. I would love to see how a Greenland shark would negotiate them?

Patiently... one lock at a time?

:lol:

10 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I personally don't think the Greenland shark was ever a possibility and they say that they have seen seals in the loch but I never have, its a tough canal system to navigate for seal but not impossible, the Greenland shark would need airlifting in or a miracle journey. 

I know bull sharks can go up rivers. Is it too cold in those waters for bull sharks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DieChecker said:

We allow sturgeon fishing on the Columbia river. I hear up by the dam is where some big ones are.

Columbia-River-Oversize-Sturgeon-Fishing

Holy moly that's huge! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

I've been swabbing chimney tops for years to find proof of the jolly fat man. One day Santa... one day... :mellow:

Without DNA testing the chimney you’ll always just be a light weight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I know bull sharks can go up rivers. Is it too cold in those waters for bull sharks?

The Loch never warms up, the avaerage temperature of the water throughout the year is around 5 degrees

I have seen documentaries of Bull Sharks traveling river systems, I love the way some sharks adapt to fresh water from salt, scary though knowing they can.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

The Loch never warms up, the avaerage temperature of the water throughout the year is around 5 degrees

I have seen documentaries of Bull Sharks traveling river systems, I love the way some sharks adapt to fresh water from salt, scary though knowing they can.

Probably shouldnt go swimming in it then. That's pretty cold. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

Probably shouldnt go swimming in it then. That's pretty cold. 

People do swim the loch, the very thought that something is in there puts me off.. actually, it sounds like too much effort and is a pointless exercise. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.... a plausible theory for the sightings huh ? 

Well, I've got one of my own. 

glenfiddich-12-year-old-single-malt-scot

Is that the new Glenfiddich with bits of Nessie in it;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Gosh is that celsius???

I think it depends on where they did the sampling. If not by where seals have been seen, which I think is limited, then might not detect them.

I think it depends on where they did the sampling. If not by where seals have been seen, which I think is limited, then might not detect them.

3 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Gosh is that celsius???

Yes... its bloody cold and literally zero visibility just a few meters down.

‘Eels Bazzle Eels’

(Anyone wanna take a stab at that slightly changed movie quote?) lol.

The notion of Nessie being a giant eel has been touted before.  I have heard (BUMP) that there used to be gentlemens' periodicals that were involved in tracking giant eel migrations across the British isles.  This made me wonder if they were the reason for all those tales of wyrms that knights had hunted and slain.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:26 AM, skookum said:

Fresh water Sturgeon was always the most plausible to me. They can grow huge and do breach on occasions. 

Hi Skookum

At 900 lbs they are like a small tuna.

jmccr8