Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I know I'm not alone.....

Pretty-Poet

16 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'd think the meds are just dulling your senses,if on meds you may be just hallucinating.

My aunt has schizophrenia. She suffers from a man wispering to her that he is going to kill her. Showing up behind her and in the mirror sometimes. She feels his breath and sees him. 

When she is on the meds it happens much less. 

Why someone suffering would not use the meds is beyond me. Be thankful that they live in an age where medication is actually an option.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

. I can't prove a damn bit of it. There is nothing solid to support it either.

That's just the nature of the beast,your stories sound interesting,to me and a lot of people on here,I'd think.Who cares if the majority of society thinks your loopy,you don't have to justify yourself to anyone except yourself.

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My aunt has schizophrenia. She suffers from a man wispering to her that he is going to kill her. Showing up behind her and in the mirror sometimes. She feels his breath and sees him. 

When she is on the meds it happens much less. 

Why someone suffering would not use the meds is beyond me. Be thankful that they live in an age where medication is actually an option.

I'm sorry your aunt is unwell,I'm not against medication if it's a genuine illness,I just feel there are a lot of doctors being funded by drug companies and handing out pills like tic tacs just to line their pockets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Evoking spirits to physical appearance on Halloween night 2011 in a local graveyard. Seeing an amorphous green mist for a week straight before my brother died and the trailer we lived in caught on fire. Random weekly telekinetic events. Two NDE's. Seen ghost children playing behind my grandmother's home. Seeing my dead grandfather after his funeral. Several weird dreams of meeting gods and other entities. 

You should make a blog series of these expierences on UM.

It would be an interesting read during the Halloween season at least ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You should make a blog series of these expierences on UM.

It would be an interesting read during the Halloween season at least ;)

No.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Strange if its a medical condition that people often see,hear or feel the same thing.The main reason I believe it is paranormal.How could people have the same hallucination?

They don't, the hallucination is based on their own memories/thoughts/fears etc.

The term 'old hag' originated during a time when a lot of people feared witches/curses/spells etc. - the word "hag" is even derived from an old version of the word "witch".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saru said:

They don't, the hallucination is based on their own memories/thoughts/fears etc.

The term 'old hag' originated during a time when a lot of people feared witches/curses/spells etc. - the word "hag" is even derived from an old version of the word "witch".

Makes me wonder if the 'demons sitting on the chest' was used to explain not only sleep paralysis, but sleep apnea as well.

8 minutes ago, Saru said:

Their is a common theme with a witch,as I've learnt lately is known as a witch on your back.I was told a few years ago by a very open person that this is still affecting me,they knew nothing of my past,I thought nothing of it until studying about it recently.I believe its a genuine entity or demon.That's my feeling on this.If it's a mental illness then it is a very narrowed down specific illness and affects people with African ancestors,sorry I'm not buying it.

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Makes me wonder if the 'demons sitting on the chest' was used to explain not only sleep paralysis, but sleep apnea as well.

Or the cause of these afflictions.

10 minutes ago, openozy said:

If it's a mental illness then it is a very narrowed down specific illness and affects people with African ancestors,sorry I'm not buying it.

Sleep paralysis is not a mental illness, it's a dysfunction of REM sleep that is both harmless and fairly common.

I've experienced it myself perhaps half a dozen times, there's nothing paranormal about it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Saru said:

Sleep paralysis is not a mental illness, it's a dysfunction of REM sleep that is both harmless and fairly common.

I've experienced it myself perhaps half a dozen times, there's nothing paranormal about it.

Still doesn't answer the question of the witch being a main character.

10 hours ago, openozy said:

Still doesn't answer the question of the witch being a main character.

This page gives a good explanation and lists the various cultural variations of the phenomenon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_hag

• Like 1

I can offer my own experience with sleep paralysis, although it was a solitary occurrence and it happened nearly 40 years ago. However, there were no shadows, nor demons nor witches, or anything paranormal about it. And it happened while riding in a camper. I was with 5 other coworkers, and we were driving back to Chicago from a company golf outing in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It had been a long day, and I was sitting at the dining table of the camper, and was participating, on and off, in the typical conversations we were having about the day's event. After a while I felt very sleepy, and I must have laid my head down on the table, and fallen into sound sleep. I remember that we were still in Indiana just before going to sleep. Then all of a sudden, it felt that as if I had awoken, and yet I realized that I'm also sleeping. And it seems that I was trying to awaken myself, as if there were two of me, the one awake and the one asleep.I remember that I could not even twitch a muscle. And I also remember that I was screaming at myself trying to awaken what seemed to be the other me. But it was not working, and the more I screamed at myself the more I seemed terrified, as I was also telling myself that if I don't wake up I'm going to die.

I cannot tell how long that episode lasted, trying to wake up. But finally I woke up. And I remember that it was all quiet, and as I looked around everyone but the driver were dozing. I just called out, Bob, are you OK? And he responded with, yes, we are almost home. Home, meaning the office parking in Chicago where we had met very early that morning, as we finally got back after midnight. It was a very unusual dream, I thought. However, when I got into my car to drive home, I was shivering for no apparent reason, and it lasted for about 20 minutes, the time it took me to drive to my house.

But perhaps it was not just a sleep paralysis episode, because I was told that it was some sort of a combination with an OBE, out of body experience. I have never had it again. Although less than 10 years ago I had a very long lasting OBE (around 24 hours), but I was awake the all time of this experience. Not needing to detail it, but in this one I did believe to be dealing with some type of a supernatural event. At least that's what I thought my mind was telling me.

Perhaps there in nothing unusual about sleep paralysis, and an overwhelming number of cases can be accounted as aberrations of the mind. I would never rule out that my own experience in having dozed off in the camper was anything other than a vivid dream. However, my second and more recent experience is much more difficult for me to rule out some sort of supernatural explanation. Because for that long period of time I was an outside observer of my own body, and wide awake. Still, these are things that can never be conveyed to others, unless these others have also experienced something similar. And as many upon many cases have proved, it may all be just a trick of our own mind on ourselves, in the end.

It's rather obvious deciding on cases that have a history of mental instability, and science says that medications do prove to be effective in eliminating future episodes, or at least diminish the frequency and intensity. And if these things happen more than once, and keep recurring with regular frequency, and also raise personal concern, then perhaps, as has been suggested, it's time to see a doctor.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, openozy said:

Thanks but this is a  witch is behind you on your back,different thing entirely.

I don't know who or what you are referring to.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, openozy said:

I've also found out recently this affects people with African heritage and have also found out I have a % of African ancestors.

It happens to people of every race, of every geographical location, of all ages, gender etc. 

Personally I can’t swallow the medical explanations. They are almost insulting, and dismissive. These are literally the most complicated “hallucinations” known. And the similarities in these experiences are many. 

Add in the fact that with a little know how, you can have what appear to be out of body experiences during these episodes and you can throw the medical explanations right out the window. There is no room for that in the limited medical explanations at all. I have heard it said that people who have had OOB experiences during sleep paralysis are confusing two different experiences, that happened on two separate occasions. 

Anyone who regularly has such experiences knows that’s a complete crock. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 4:27 AM, Saru said:

This page gives a good explanation and lists the various cultural variations of the phenomenon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_hag

If it was just the hag, I’d probably agree with you. There are several entities that people encounter during these episodes.  With many others experiencing the exact same entities. 

After my first SP experience of course I looked online to try and understand what had happened. I didn’t know anything about these things back then. I was shocked to find so many people who had seen the same thing I had. Mine was a black cloud that swirled around like a tornado. 

Of course there are several shadow type creatures that people see.  The “hat man” who is a shadow being that wears a fedora type hat is seen by thousands of people. Most of whom had never even heard of any type of shadow being before they saw him. 

I have a neighbor who knows I’m into these subjects tell me she saw a black shadow creature who wore the same hat, without ever knowing others had seen the same thing. She was shocked when I finished describing him before she could finish her sentence. 

I can understand the need for people to put this in a box and label it as completely understood. But it isn’t. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Of course there are several shadow type creatures that people see.  The “hat man” who is a shadow being that wears a fedora type hat

I've been visited by the Hat Man on two different occasions 10 years apart, at the beginning of bad relationships.There is no way this was a suggested thought or whatever,I had no knowledge of this at the time and have only recently started study on these things.

• Like 1