Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers close to predicting death

ExpandMyMind

If death is in the cards, it may also be in your blood.

Measurements of 14 metabolic substances in blood were pretty good at predicting whether people were likely to die in the next five to 10 years. The data was published this week in Nature 

A team of researchers led by data scientists in the Netherlands came up with the fateful 14 based on data from 44,168 people, aged 18 to 109. The data included death records and measurements of 226 different substances in blood. Of the 44,168 people, 5,512 died during follow-up periods of nearly 17 years.

The researchers then put their death panel to the test. They used the 14 blood measurements to try to predict deaths in a cohort of 7,603 Finnish people who were surveyed in 1997. Of those Finns, 1,213 died during follow-up. Together, the 14 blood measurements were about 83% accurate at predicting the deaths that occurred within both five years and 10 years. The accuracy dropped to about 72% when predicting deaths for people over 60 years old, though.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/08/researchers-are-creepily-close-to-predicting-when-youre-going-to-die/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, THERE'S some handy information to have ;)   

I don’t think I’d want to know.  I’ve made it to 71 so happy to take it a day at a time from here on in :lol:.

Good morning! 

It's your day to die, have a nice day. 

This message is brought to you by a team of data researchers based in the Netherlands 

Don't forget to check your Measurements of metabolic substances today 

~

The point isn't that it just tells you if you'll die, but that it suggests ways in which you can change your lifestyle to address the outcome.

I don't believe we need any team of numbers crunching expert researchers to tell me that... 

~