Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Optical illusion confusing the internet

Still Waters

It's a bird! It's a rabbit!

No, it's definitely a bird. But hey, you be the judge.

A video of a black animal getting a nice scratch is spreading quickly around the internet as people take sides in yet another great debate.

Daniel Quintana, a scientist at the University of Oslo in Norway, is responsible for all this -- he found the video on an image-sharing website on Sunday and tweeted it, saying, "Rabbits love getting stroked on their nose." - Since then, it's blown up. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/bird-rabbit-tweet-trnd/index.html

• Like 1

It's a bird. Definitely. Specifically, a corvid of some description. 

Ummm.....

Or possibly a rabbit. 

Edited by RoofGardener

It's 'ears' are too much of a giveaway.

• Like 1

Looks very much like a crow.

An old guy on one of the boats was called the "crow man". He had two regular crows and he would sit and stroke them.

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

An old guy on one of the boats was called the "crow man". He had two regular crows and he would sit and stroke them.

You mean wild birds of that kind will come to hand ? Unusual. I was told by some people who were camping in a very remote part of Western Australia, a long way from civilization, about a Red Goshawk, a bird of prey, that landed feet away from a campfire at dusk, and stayed for a time, little more than arm's length away from the campers. Hard to explain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You mean wild birds of that kind will come to hand ? Unusual. I was told by some people who were camping in a very remote part of Western Australia, a long way from civilization, about a Red Goshawk, a bird of prey, that landed feet away from a campfire at dusk, and stayed for a time, little more than arm's length away from the campers. Hard to explain.

Crows are not known to be so friendly. They  went into his boat, wierd.  He had been feeding these two since they were young, they obviously trusted him. 

We have ducks feeding out of our hands, not so strange. The ones to watch are the swans, some are friendly, some are just down right gannets and vicious, we do not feed  swans at all anymore, not since one ripped the wooden trim off our old boat when we did not give him food.

My westie does not chase birds,  but each time a crow flies over he goes ballistic. :(

Edited by freetoroam

Where I live, a Crow is a somewhat different bird, and generally quite shy of humans. But I was told years ago, they could be domesticated, and taught to talk, like some parrots. Never seen a caged one that I remember. What I do remember was being out bush many years ago, with a couple of fellas who liked a bit of shooting, and in those days crows were regarded as a pest, and open season declared on them. If there were one or two sitting in a high tree, 200 metres from the road, and a vehicle stopped at the side of the road, and even if the passengers got out, the crows would stay put. However, if they pulled a gun out, the crows would take to the wing, instantly. Which might seem like a co-incidence, but happened time and time again. Uncanny, they are a very intelligent creature.

6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Same family but it's a raven.

CNN has in fact verified that not only does the video show a bird, it's specifically an African White-necked Raven named Mischief.

He belongs to the World Bird Sanctuary in Valley Park, Missouri, and is 18 years old.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/bird-rabbit-tweet-trnd/index.html

More info:

What is the exact difference between the raven and crow?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-exact-difference-between-the-raven-and-crow

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Same family but it's a raven.

Is it just me? I can not see where rabbit comes into it. The beak and eyes say crow, sorry, raven. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Is it just me? I can not see where rabbit comes into it. The beak and eyes say crow, sorry, raven. 

You're not alone. I was wondering why anyone would think it's a rabbit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You're not alone. I was wondering why anyone would think it's a rabbit.

I think that's what they mean: everyone is confused as to why anyone else would ever think it's a rabbit ....

Next week: internet is confused as to why anyone thinks Mount Everest looks like like Donald Frump