Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Should all British police officers be armed?

Still Waters

Following a spate of violent attacks on Britain’s police officers, questions are once again being asked as to how well equipped they are to face the dangers on the frontline. Saying ‘enough is enough’ is Northamptonshire Police Chief Constable Nick Adderley, who yesterday became the first constabulary lead to announce that all frontline officers in his force will be issued with tasers in an attempt to stop the mounting violence. But are tasers sufficient?

Still Waters

Related:

Every frontline Durham Police officer is to be offered the use of a Taser.

Newly appointed chief constable Jo Farrell said it would help protect officers who were "too often" assaulted while at work.

She said the force's 1,500 officers would be offered an updated model of the weapon over the next 12 months.

The Durham Police Federation said it supported the move but human rights group Amnesty UK has expressed "serious concerns" about Tasers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49422366

stevewinn

The Police officers themselves say they don't want to be routinely armed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RoofGardener

I think the tazers are a good idea, with one caveat. The officers need to be  TRAINED in how to use them. And have refresher training, just as though they where firearms. 

• Like 2

freetoroam

Yes with tazers not with guns.

Problem.is the criminals who are not afraid of attacking police, will not be afraid to carry a gun.

The justice system has to an extent brought this attack on officers on.

The police do what they can to catch the criminals and then the criminals either get off with a slap on the wrist or a short sentence. The criminals are laughing at our police officers. 

There was a time when attacking an officer was a serious offence, not anymore.

The big sentenses go.to anyone who frauds the tax man, hack the government  or are serial killers.

Our justice system.is too soft.

I am in Northampton and have seen the rise in crime. AND YES i will point out the influx of immigrants has given rise to crime. Just read the "who has been sentenced" in the Northampton chronicle to see the % of "visitors" on the list.

Not all immigrants are criminals, but we seem to have allowed a lot of immigrants who are in more recent times. Where is the vetting of who is coming in??

Still Waters

I think the idea of them having something to protect themselves makes sense, but perhaps the decision of whether they want that or not should lie with the individual police officer. What if instead of making it compulsory for all, those who are happy to be armed could be while those who don't have the option not to be?

ethereal_scout

No - they'd need the appropriate "rules of engagement" similar to the army IMO - whereby they can't fire unless fired upon. That rule wouldn't have helped PC Andrew Harper, who, to the  best of my knowledge wasn't killed using a firearm.

Dark_Grey

It seems unarmed Officers are almost a point of pride among the tea-drinking islanders. As in, it's worth being proud that your country is so peaceful it's unnecessary to arm the Cops. 

However, this isn't 2005. This is 2019 and the demographics of the UK are changing rapidly. There are a thousand videos out there of UK Police being gang beaten, having cars stolen, or the worst ones involve 110 lb female Officers getting pummeled while the partner helplessly screams in to his or her radio.

"Officers assaulted during routine traffic stop"

Spoiler

"Two female officers attacked by crazed man"

Spoiler

What is the rationale behind sending out two female Officers with non-lethal weapons? Even a man of average strength can clearly take them both.

"Police Officer attacked with sledge hammer in Glossop"

Spoiler

There is plenty of footage of American Police being overrun or beaten but even then, there is only so much damage the attackers are willing to do at risk of their own lives. For Police in England, what is the "plan B" for a gang of youths who know you don't carry any lethal force? I hope the governing bodies take the advice of the Officers on the ground when it comes to carrying firearms. Nothing worse than your fate being decided by fat bureaucrats who likely will never step foot in the neighborhoods you have to patrol.

Dark_Grey
2 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

No - they'd need the appropriate "rules of engagement" similar to the army IMO - whereby they can't fire unless fired upon. That rule wouldn't have helped PC Andrew Harper, who, to the  best of my knowledge wasn't killed using a firearm.

Yeah that's a dumb rule for Police to have to follow. If you can effectively stop a threat, why wait until the bullets are flying at you? The first shot may be the last one you won't ever hear.

• Like 1

Setton
31 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

It seems unarmed Officers are almost a point of pride among the tea-drinking islanders. As in, it's worth being proud that your country is so peaceful it's unnecessary to arm the Cops. 

However, this isn't 2005. This is 2019 and the demographics of the UK are changing rapidly. There are a thousand videos out there of UK Police being gang beaten, having cars stolen, or the worst ones involve 110 lb female Officers getting pummeled while the partner helplessly screams in to his or her radio.

"Officers assaulted during routine traffic stop"

Reveal hidden contents

"Two female officers attacked by crazed man"

Reveal hidden contents

What is the rationale behind sending out two female Officers with non-lethal weapons? Even a man of average strength can clearly take them both.

"Police Officer attacked with sledge hammer in Glossop"

Reveal hidden contents

There is plenty of footage of American Police being overrun or beaten but even then, there is only so much damage the attackers are willing to do at risk of their own lives. For Police in England, what is the "plan B" for a gang of youths who know you don't carry any lethal force? I hope the governing bodies take the advice of the Officers on the ground when it comes to carrying firearms. Nothing worse than your fate being decided by fat bureaucrats who likely will never step foot in the neighborhoods you have to patrol.

They are taking the advice of the officers on the ground. They say they don't want to be armed. 

It's you who's trying to override what they want. And all in some desperate effort to pretend your countries law enforcement isn't an utter farce. 

• Like 2

Golden Duck

What happened to billy clubs?

• Haha 1

Farmer77

It will just open up more problems if they do

Law Enforcement’s Lost and Stolen Gun Problem

Sir Wearer of Hats

Yes they should be armed.

they should be legged as well.

skookum

I think the time is coming when the option should be given to officers on an individual basis with training.

I think the British public are force feed terrible scenes recorded from the US were excessive force by use of armed police is deemed as routine.

Accross Europe the police are routinely armed and we don't see the same scenes. This is most likely as they don't have the gun culture which is the USA's major issue.

I believe we could routinely arm the Police and not get the bloodbath predicted.

There are definitely cases of terrorism and general lunatics that may have well been stopped or ended early by police who were on scene but not adequately armed.

Of course we will never know now for sure.