Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama judge :WI to pay for reassignment surg

and-then

1 hour ago, and then said:

Opinions?

Waste of resources. It should only be for the ill.

The poor get super ****ty cancer treatment and declined some of them yet they waste money on this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Professor Buzzkill said:

Medicaid covers plastic surgeons? 

Thanks Obama

Part of what really p***es me off about the story is that i spent a couple of the Obama years on medicaid. During that time I developed a massive inguinal hernia that was so big my intestines sloshed - with an audible sloshing sound - outside of my torso every time I stood up. Medicaid considered that repair "cosmetic" and wouldnt cover it!  Now theyre covering ****ing sex change operations? WTF?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"An Obama judge"... you could stop right there.

They get away with it every time. First it was prisoners, then military personnel and now this. It's just another shining example of how liberals make their pets so much more special than just people. Friggin' unreal how they throw that in our face.

and @Farmer77, I too had a bad hernia. Luckily I was covered. Talk about feeling uncomfortable!? and this guy in the article was complaining about how uncomfortable he felt looking in the mirror after he bathed. PLEASE!

"spending other people's money", that's their game.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

They get away with it every time. First it was prisoners, then military personnel and now this. It's just another shining example of how liberals make their pets so much more special than just people. Friggin' unreal how they throw that in our face.

Ok so remove the politics and stick with me for a second.

I gotta say after digging into this I dont think this is the judge's fault. Not that I think the surgery should be covered but I think the judge may have been interpreting the law correctly.

The law says if its a medically necessary procedure it must be covered and whether we agree with it or not the medical community, including insurers, have agreed that in cases it is considered "medically necessary". Theres even a whole set of government ICD-10 codes for the condition and variables.

So my legitimately non partisan question now is WTF? Im in the medical field and work with insurers and I know they arent throwing money away for nothing so are we just all way off and the procedures are medically necessary? Or is it that political ideology has seeped into that field of medicine? If so how would one prove that and what is to be done about it? Speaking for me personally is that a slippery slope even worth taking a single step on? I just dont know man what a mess.

13 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I too had a bad hernia. Luckily I was covered. Talk about feeling uncomfortable!?

Man once I got real insurance and had the procedure it was like being set free from chains!

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

The law says if its a medically necessary procedure it must be covered and whether we agree with it or not the medical community, including insurers, have agreed that in cases it is considered "medically necessary".

There in lies the rub.  Your condition was not seen as "medically necessary" but a guy who is unhappy with his own penis finds it "medically necessary" to remove it...?  :unsure2:    I don't think this man got ridiculed because he had a lump bulging from his crotch, that's normal.

No, Only a liberal judge would interpret the two situations that way. I remember the embarrassment and ridicule I went through when my  hernia popped out of my navel like a big fat thumb. Gad. :w00t:  So glad to get that fixed.

So anyway, I think the thrust to all of this is - who is determining medical necessity, and the answer is, as the thread suggested, an Obama Judge, say no more, IMO

• Like 4

These aren't 'cosmetic' surgeries. They're granted due to the serious psychological impact on the patient, not because someone wants a smaller nose due to their own vanity. When you consider the psychological issues seen with transgenderism, such as extremely high suicide and self-harm, not to mention a whole host of other serious issues, it's maybe not such a bad idea for it to be available on Medicaid.

@Farmer77 Your experience just sucks, but I disagree that granting these surgeries to transgenders is wasting money. It will literally save a lot of lives and immeasurably improve the lives of even more.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

These aren't 'cosmetic' surgeries. They're granted due to the serious psychological impact on the patient, not because someone wants a smaller nose due to their own vanity. When you consider the psychological issues seen with transgenderism, such as extremely high suicide and self-harm, not to mention a whole host of other serious issues, it's maybe not such a bad idea for it to be available on Medicaid.

@Farmer77 Your experience just sucks, but I disagree that granting these surgeries to transgenders is wasting money. It will literally save a lot of lives and immeasurably improve the lives of even more.

The most thorough follow-up of sex-reassigned people—extending over 30 years and conducted in Sweden, where the culture is strongly supportive of the transgendered—documents their lifelong mental unrest. Ten to 15 years after surgical reassignment, the suicide rate of those who had undergone sex-reassignment surgery rose to 20 times that of comparable peers.

https://www.heritage.org/gender/commentary/sex-reassignment-doesnt-work-here-the-evidence

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, acidhead said:

The most thorough follow-up of sex-reassigned people—extending over 30 years and conducted in Sweden, where the culture is strongly supportive of the transgendered—documents their lifelong mental unrest. Ten to 15 years after surgical reassignment, the suicide rate of those who had undergone sex-reassignment surgery rose to 20 times that of comparable peers.

https://www.heritage.org/gender/commentary/sex-reassignment-doesnt-work-here-the-evidence

Well, that's just disturbingly misleading. That the suicide rate 'rose' to '20 times that of comparable peers' is false. The study did not even include pre-op transgenders. The control group they used as a comparison was from the general population. From the study:

For each exposed person (N = 324), we randomly selected 10 unexposed controls. A person was defined as unexposed if there were no discrepancies in sex designation across the Censuses, Medical Birth, and Total Population registers and no gender identity disorder diagnosis according to the Hospital Discharge Register.

And it is also relevant that this study was from nearly 20 years ago and covered the 30 years prior. 50 years is a very long time and social acceptance and the relief that comes with it has changed a lot in that time, even in Sweden. If you compared suicide rates amongst homosexuals in those 30 years to the next 20 years, you'd see a similarly high number for the 30.

My point is that you cannot show that the suicides during that time were the result of having the surgery because there are far too many other factors to consider.

• Like 3

it is proven common knowledge that trans teens have much higher suicide rate compared to normal teens, surgery or not, the reason is the same mental disorder that makes them deny nature in a first place, it has nothing to with anything outside

New Study Reveals Shocking Rates of Attempted Suicide Among Trans Adolescents

https://www.hrc.org/blog/new-study-reveals-shocking-rates-of-attempted-suicide-among-trans-adolescen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Impact of transition on suicidal ideation and suicide attempt

Transition was shown to greatly reduce rates of suicidal ideation and suicide attempt. In total, 67per cent of respondents thought about suicide more before they transitioned and only 3 per centthought about suicide more post-transition. In total, 7 per cent found that suicide attempts and ideation increased whilst they were going through transition. In total, 16 per cent reported nodifference and 7 per cent were unsure (n¼301).

The following quotes highlight the experiences and feelings of those who thought about suicideless since transitioning and reveal the major part that transition plays in reducing suicidal ideationand suicide attempt in the majority of respondent narratives:

Being able to transition made my life worth living and gave me hope for the future (Trans man).On balance I feel stronger in myself since transition. I also feel like I’ve let go of a big secret I was carrying around which takes some of the pressure off and makes me feel like I’m living life more genuinely (Man on the female-to-male spectrum).

Link to study:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281441727_Suicide_risk_in_the_UK_Trans_population_and_the_role_of_gender_transition_in_decreasing_suicidal_ideation_and_suicide_attempt

yet in real world much more trans teens commit\attempts suicides  at any stage of their life,  than  hetero teens, so your  study isn't even worth printing on toilet paper,

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Piney said:

Waste of resources. It should only be for the ill.

The poor get super ****ty cancer treatment and declined some of them yet they waste money on this. 

Right! I knew a girl who got lasik surgery (that i can understand)and breast implants. I was really suprised to hear that the air force funds that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, acidhead said:

Good link and good fodder for thought. What are they doing, what are *we* doing?

the medical evidence suggests that sex reassignment does not adequately address the psychosocial difficulties faced by people who identify as transgender. Even when the procedures are successful technically and cosmetically, and even in cultures that are relatively “trans-friendly,” transitioners still face poor outcomes.

The real bottom line is this, is cutting off ones penis going to change all of your chromosomes, too? No. It is merely cosmetic surgery. (or butchery) I feel bad for their condition but in the end, you cannot run away from yourself. Why put yourself through all that when it won't get you where oyu want to be, which is frankly, impossible to do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

My point is that you cannot show that the suicides during that time were the result of having the surgery because there are far too many other factors to consider.

There are many factors, yes. That is why you take a large enough sample to work with. In the end, it shakes out. And if there is an increase in suicides, sorry, EMM, reassignment surgery is *A* factor, and I might add, a likely large factor.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

There are many factors, yes. That is why you take a large enough sample to work with. In the end, it shakes out. And if there is an increase in suicides, sorry, EMM, reassignment surgery is *A* factor, and I might add, a likely large factor.

I've heard that the TG suicide rate is around 40% regardless of reassignment surgery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, and then said:

My opinion on medicaid covering transgender sex assignment surgery is definitely not. 

The amount of money could be better spent in other places.   

There are far more people in dire need of medical services for much more serious conditions than people who need their gender reassigned.  Next, we'll be giving these people the shirts off our back as well.  No, definitely not.   

Note: When everyone is treated equally, I don't have a problem, but when you have specific minority groups wanting to be treated specially, I have a problem with that.  They're not as special as they'd like to think they are and need to get over that.  We're all human and every single LGBTQ friend of mine feels this same way.  My friends and I have discussed this and they just want to be treated like the next person, no special treatment. 

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I guess im coming at it from the perspective that medicaid is a temporary stop gap safety net to help folks get on their feet after an event of some sort. From that perspective such a surgery can be placed on hold for a year or two with medicaid still offering psychological services in the interim, IMO.

Your argument would hold for the permanently disabled however.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

Medicaid issue aside, I don't understand why people get so worked up about transgender people. Who ****ing cares? Leave other people alone.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Medicaid issue aside, I don't understand why people get so worked up about transgender people. Who ****ing cares? Leave other people alone.

Not enough likes for this one

• Like 3