Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ruth Bader Ginsberg cancer treatments

skliss

I couldnt find a thread about her.

U.S. Justice Ginsburg treated for pancreatic cancer

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Liberal U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has completed a three-week course of radiation therapy to treat a cancerous tumor on her pancreas, a court spokeswoman said on Friday.

The 86-year old justice, who has had previous cancer scares, tolerated the therapy well and no further treatment is required, spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said in a statement.

An abnormality was first detected in July, and the tumor was identified following a biopsy performed on July 31 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

"She canceled her annual summer visit to Santa Fe, but has otherwise maintained an active schedule," Arberg said.

"The tumor was treated definitively and there is no evidence of disease elsewhere in the body," the spokeswoman added.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the hardest cancers to treat and prognoses can be bleak. According to the website of the Columbia Pancreas Center at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in New York, the percentage of people still alive five years after a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer that has not spread beyond the pancreas is 27.1%

https://news.yahoo.com/u-justice-ginsburg-treated-tumor-184315797.html

• Like 3

She's 86. I feel she won't outlive the Trump tenure

• Like 4

Pancreatic cancer is very hard to beat. Seems this tumor may have been diagnosed early. If she was treated for the same thing in 2009, then this would be a recurrence. It may come back again. Her age likely isn't helping. 

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/after-treatment/follow-up.html

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Oh man....

Liberals be on high alert!

Ginsburg has dropped out of sight. Presumably due to illness. Maybe more cancer.

I wish her well. And at the same time believe she should retire.

Will she last out the year? If not will the Senate approve a Trump nominee?

NBC News: Justice Ginsburg taken ill, absent from Supreme Court.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/justice-ginsburg-taken-ill-absent-supreme-court-n1081306

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was absent Wednesday for courtroom arguments in two cases.

Chief Justice John Roberts announced that Ginsburg was "indisposed due to illness," a statement similar to the one he made on the first day of the term, Oct. 7, when Justice Clarence Thomas was absent with what a court official said was the flu.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 11:56 PM, skliss said:

I couldnt find a thread about her.

U.S. Justice Ginsburg treated for pancreatic cancer

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Liberal U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has completed a three-week course of radiation therapy to treat a cancerous tumor on her pancreas, a court spokeswoman said on Friday.

The 86-year old justice, who has had previous cancer scares, tolerated the therapy well and no further treatment is required, spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said in a statement.

An abnormality was first detected in July, and the tumor was identified following a biopsy performed on July 31 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

"She canceled her annual summer visit to Santa Fe, but has otherwise maintained an active schedule," Arberg said.

"The tumor was treated definitively and there is no evidence of disease elsewhere in the body," the spokeswoman added.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the hardest cancers to treat and prognoses can be bleak. According to the website of the Columbia Pancreas Center at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in New York, the percentage of people still alive five years after a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer that has not spread beyond the pancreas is 27.1%

https://news.yahoo.com/u-justice-ginsburg-treated-tumor-184315797.html

Pancreatic cancer is very rare in all people except those which drink like fish, smoke like chimneys, and have a poor diet over decades.

But yes, its a hard to detect cancer and by the time people realise they need to go to the doctor they are usually end stage with it.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

fark_GEpxl2ciqczybxqQFPkapq0t6Ao.jpg

You should have got a face palm also, because trump is going begging to a conservative majority SCOTUS to get the tax record subpoena quashed. If Ginsburg dies before the 2020 election, trump will really be able to stack the deck with another younger conservative judge. How is that suppose to work in the democrats favor?  The only ray of sunshine is that a lot of the judges that he and Yertle appointed have decided many cases against the republicans. Including the tax records subpoena appeals he recently lost. 

I hope shes not suffering whatever is going on. She may not be my cup of tea, but she gave her life to service. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

McConnell allowing a SCOTUS nomination in an election year truly would be take to the streets kind of stuff.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, and then said:

It will be a true mass hysteria event no matter who is nominated.  Look for the next Prog-controlled Senate to increase the number of Justices to give them the long-term advantage by default.  Once they politicize the Court to that extent we will begin ignoring their proclamations and make them enforce them on us.

If a Republican wanted to increase the number of Justices it would be a crisis of trying to create a dictatorship. If a Democrat wants the same it is to better represent the will of the people. Hypocrites....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

You should have got a face palm also, because trump is going begging to a conservative majority SCOTUS to get the tax record subpoena quashed. If Ginsburg dies before the 2020 election, trump will really be able to stack the deck with another younger conservative judge. How is that suppose to work in the democrats favor?  The only ray of sunshine is that a lot of the judges that he and Yertle appointed have decided many cases against the republicans. Including the tax records subpoena appeals he recently lost. 

HH you should of left it one post, responding to our own posts is never a good look. BTW I do hope Justice Ginsburg gets well soon and gets back to work. 

Some good news here, Justice Ginsberg has returned to work

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg returns to bench after illness

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg returned to the bench Monday after missing oral arguments last Wednesday due to a stomach bug. The 86-year-old justice was seen climbing the three steps to the bench and taking her seat for a brief court session while wearing one of her signature lace collars. Ginsburg and the other justices were present to grant new admissions to the bar, which allows those attorneys to argue before the nation’s highest bench.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/18/supreme-court-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-returns-to-bench-after-illness/

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 4:02 PM, DieChecker said:

If a Republican wanted to increase the number of Justices it would be a crisis of trying to create a dictatorship. If a Democrat wants the same it is to better represent the will of the people. Hypocrites....

To be fair, McConnell denying Obama's appointment and spending the last three years packing the lower courts, along with Trump's (likely) forcible removal of Kennedy (read up on his banker son to get some background) is tantamount to the same thing. At this point Dems would simply be acting to counteract McConnell and Republicans. 

Doing so only to get policy passed though? Well, Roosevelt tried that for New Deal and, unsurprisingly, everyone saw through it, criticised it and prevented it. 

It's about context.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

To be fair, McConnell denying Obama's appointment and spending the last three years packing the lower courts, along with Trump's (likely) forcible removal of Kennedy (read up on his banker son to get some background) is tantamount to the same thing. At this point Dems would simply be acting to counteract McConnell and Republicans. 

Doing so only to get policy passed though? Well, Roosevelt tried that for New Deal and, unsurprisingly, everyone saw through it, criticised it and prevented it. 

It's about context.

Tantamount to the same thing, but completely dufferent.

That's like saying Democrats want to give Blue States an extra SenTor, to make up for the loss in 2016. You know... to correct unfairness and such.

If Clinton had won and "packed the lower courts" doubtless you'd not have a problem with it... right?

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 11:02 AM, DieChecker said:

-Increase supreme Court Judges.

- Have senate impeachment votes on a secret ballot.

- abolish the electorial college.

- lower the voting age to 16.

Just the examples off the top of my head.

Basically whenever they lose any vote or election then democracy is "broken" and needs radical change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

- Have senate impeachment votes on a secret ballot.

In fairness this one is actually a favor to republicans.

Edited by Farmer77

Just read an article about her earlier leaving the hospital once again...

Seriously people,i know all hells gotta break loose if Trump gets another judge,but we seriously gotta ask ourselves...when is enough enough on these unlimited term jobs?

Hell in roughly a years time McCain,Conyers,Cummings and now Ruth (barely there) Ginsberg just absolutely can't let that power trip go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Just read an article about her earlier leaving the hospital once again...

Seriously people,i know all hells gotta break loose if Trump gets another judge,but we seriously gotta ask ourselves...when is enough enough on these unlimited term jobs?

Hell in roughly a years time McCain,Conyers,Cummings and now Ruth (barely there) Ginsberg just absolutely can't let that power trip go.

I'm sure you understand what the original premise of that unlimited term was about.  The idea that they would become as politicized as everything else was a risk the Founders had to take.  If he gets another appointment then all that will happen is the next Prog Senate majority will increase the number of justices and appoint their own majority.  At that point, it's safe to say we will be in full retreat from any respect for "rule of law".  

All I can say is I hope she gets well and gets through this illness.

kinda sad someone's ill and politics pollutes the thread.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

All I can say is I hope she gets well and gets through this illness.

kinda sad someone's ill and politics pollutes the thread.

I'm not really being political,just asking a legit question we need to ask ourselves...

These people will almost literally turn to dust before stepping down.

These peoples jobs have large implications on our everyday lives,and i do not believe for one second she has been fully alert and well prepared to do a job as important as hers for the past 5 years atleast...

I'd say the same thing if it was a Republican,Libertarian,Green party member,ect.

Kinda hard to talk about her when she's fully healthy as that has been years back.

Just sayin...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I'm not really being political,just asking a legit question we need to ask ourselves...

These peoples jobs have large implications on our everyday lives,and i do not believe for one second she has been fully alert and well prepared to do a job as important as hers for the past 5 years atleast...

I'd say the same thing if it was a Republican,Libertarian,Green party member,ect.

Kinda hard to talk about her when she's fully healthy as that has been years back.

Just sayin...

No that's a fair opinion we are all entitled to that.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 6:54 AM, RabidMongoose said:

Pancreatic cancer is very rare in all people except those which drink like fish, smoke like chimneys, and have a poor diet over decades.

But yes, its a hard to detect cancer and by the time people realise they need to go to the doctor they are usually end stage with it.

I knew a man who ran marathons, whose only vice was a sugar in his coffee, pancreatic cancer took him very quickly. 3 weeks after winning in the veterans entrance of a local marathon.

It seems pancreatic cancer can even effect the fit and healthy.

and something for everyone 

MOD NOTE...

A recent thread about President Donald Trumps health showed that even those who do not like the man could be respectful of his health. I expect the exact same curtesy here. If you have nothing nice to say, I recommend you exercise your right not to participate in the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah my grandfather was diagnosed with it the day before Thanksgiving 10 years ago this week...he died 3 1/2 weeks after his diagnosis and i was the one who took care of him those 3 1/2 weeks...he was 71 years old.

It was horrible...

As i said,i'm not speaking ill of her but i have a pretty good idea she is in no shape to be trying to do a job that is so vital to this country.

I mean she's 85 or 86 on top of having several health scares over the past several years before this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yeah my grandfather was diagnosed with it the day before Thanksgiving 10 years ago this week...he died 3 1/2 weeks after his diagnosis and i was the one who took care of him those 3 1/2 weeks...he was 71 years old.

It was horrible...

As i said,i'm not speaking ill of her but i have a pretty good idea she is in no shape to be trying to do a job that is so vital to this country.

I mean she's 85 or 86 on top of having several health scares over the past several years before this.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, Grandad’s are very special people.

And I know you have been a long time advocate for term limits.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, Grandad’s are very special people.

And I know you have been a long time advocate for term limits.

It's just kind of strange seeing normal people have to work 5,6,7 day a week jobs till they are almost 70 to get a chance to rest in retirement,yet these powerful,cushy,just several day a year jobs people hold on to till they pass...

Power just does strange things to people...look at Trumps hair...:mellow:

3 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Just sayin...

To be fair, other justices have retired.  She just won't. 

I get the reason they are appointed for life, it's so they can concentrate on the law and not worry about the politics of being elected over and over and it makes them less susceptible to bribery and such...their job is guaranteed.

There should be something in place to.....relieve.....a justice for medical inability to perform their duties.  I feel at some point it's more important to spend your last remaining time with your family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1