Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ruth Bader Ginsberg cancer treatments

skliss

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

All I can say is I hope she gets well and gets through this illness.

kinda sad someone's ill and politics pollutes the thread.

At least this time they're talking about a genuine illness rather than fabricating one for political reasons. 

45 minutes ago, skliss said:

There should be something in place to.....relieve.....a justice for medical inability to perform their duties.  I feel at some point it's more important to spend your last remaining time with your family.

And who would be impartial enough to take that decision? 

And surely any such measure should be extended across government, including the president. 

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

And surely any such measure should be extended across government, including the president. 

I actually agree with Skliss on this one. Serving until you're practically on your deathbed is just ridiculous. I think the Justice would be a good choice to choose their own stand-in, but really they should have term-limits, or at least age limits, of some kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I actually agree with Skliss on this one. Serving until you're practically on your deathbed is just ridiculous. I think the Justice would be a good choice to choose their own stand-in, but really they should have term-limits, or at least age limits, of some kind.

Again though, in a system as corrupt as theirs, who's going to decide when a justice is no longer capable? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Setton said:

Again though, in a system as corrupt as theirs, who's going to decide when a justice is no longer capable? 

The Justice themselves, or their doctors. And have the Justices choose their own temporary replacements for if they get sick (maybe with the other Justices or the Senate beforehand okaying their pick). Something should be done, that's all I know.

Something should probably also be done about their partisanship. Ginsberg speaking out publicly about a sitting President is an absolute disgrace (and both Ginsberg and Roberts have done this with Trump).

Anyway, if the worst comes and she dies while Trump is in office then it'll be her and the Dems own fault for what will follow. She should have stepped down during Obama's years. Instead she said something like, 'It'll be fine. Dems win Presidential elections, it's midterms where they stay home'. Her own arrogance has in all very likelihood ensured a Republican majority at least for the next 30-40 years. Maybe much, much longer, if luck isn't on Dems' side.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The Justice themselves, or their doctors. And have the Justices choose their own temporary replacements for if they get sick (maybe with the other Justices or the Senate beforehand okaying their pick). Something should be done, that's all I know.

They already can retire by choice though. The issue with the entire system is that they are political appointees. 

It makes a mockery of the concept of separation of powers and the law as a whole. 

Edited by Setton
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Something should probably also be done about their partisanship. Ginsberg speaking out publicly about a sitting President is an absolute disgrace (and both Ginsberg and Roberts have done this with Trump).

Anyway, if the worst comes and she dies while Trump is in office then it'll be her and the Dems own fault for what will follow. She should have stepped down during Obama's years. Instead she said something like, 'It'll be fine. Dems win Presidential elections, it's midterms where they stay home'. Her own arrogance has in all very likelihood ensured a Republican majority at least for the next 30-40 years. Maybe much, much longer, if luck isn't on Dems' side.

Term limits would be the best solution. It BAFFLES me that these are lifetime appointments. It makes 0 sense when you think about it. 10 or 12 years seems like a good stretch for anyone IMO. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, Farmer77 said:

In fairness this one is actually a favor to republicans.

Did Republicans ask for any favors?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skliss said:

To be fair, other justices have retired.  She just won't. 

I get the reason they are appointed for life, it's so they can concentrate on the law and not worry about the politics of being elected over and over and it makes them less susceptible to bribery and such...their job is guaranteed.

There should be something in place to.....relieve.....a justice for medical inability to perform their duties.  I feel at some point it's more important to spend your last remaining time with your family.

I thought I read that Justices could be impeached, like most other Federal officials. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Setton said:

I believe there is a medical provision for if the president is incapacitated. And his job has a definite time limit. I have nothing against Ruth, she does her job to the best of her abilities but I hope shes not torturing herself just to be a body in a seat. As for who would decide...I don't know, maybe a hopefully impartial panel? If she were mentally incapacitated and unable to do her job I'm sure there would be a solution for that. 

For all I know she's feeling fine, she just looks so frail.

Edited by skliss
Added
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Setton said:

We aren't some 3rd world banana republic, the majority of our folks are just fine. I'm sure a panel of doctors could manage to figure out her health and wellness without money under the table or backstabbing for political gain.

36 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I thought I read that Justices could be impeached, like most other Federal officials. 

But I don't think they can be removed...Maybe I'm wrong. It used to be that if someone was impeached they removed themselves.  That stopped with Clinton. Now they're trying to weaponize impeachment so it will be done over every imagined or made up slight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Something should probably also be done about their partisanship

Worry about your own governments partisanship. Sheesh!

7 minutes ago, skliss said:

Worry about your own governments partisanship. Sheesh!

We have one of the most non-partisan court systems in the world.

And this is a thread about the US, so why wouldn't I be posting about the US?

• Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

We have one of the most non-partisan court systems in the world.

And this is a thread about the US, so why wouldn't I be posting about the US?

Because you seen obsessed with us in an unhealthy way.  We have a gazillion more courts than you, the majority of which are fine...you see the smallest slice and apply it to the whole country...it's ridiculous and insulting. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Yeah. It's the same process as federal judges and politicians, form what I remember. 

17 minutes ago, skliss said:

We aren't some 3rd world banana republic

With respect, you're not far off it in many areas. Corporations, lobbying, the military industrial complex, the prison industrial complex (when you have an industry that relies on putting people in prison, something has went very, very wrong), the absolutely huge racial disparity, the abusive police forces and officers, unfair justice system if you're poor, hyper-partisan judges, hyper-religious judges and politicians, school funding skewed towards white people (thought that's part of the racial disparity), etc.

No system is perfect, but the US is less perfect than most. And most Americans don't even realise it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skliss said:

Because you seen obsessed with us in an unhealthy way.  We have a gazillion more courts than you, the majority of which are fine...you see the smallest slice and apply it to the whole country...it's ridiculous and insulting. 

I'm pretty sure this forum is open to all. No one forces you to read my posts.

37 minutes ago, skliss said:

But I don't think they can be removed...Maybe I'm wrong. It used to be that if someone was impeached they removed themselves.  That stopped with Clinton. Now they're trying to weaponize impeachment so it will be done over every imagined or made up slight.

I found this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States#Tenure

The Constitution provides that justices "shall hold their offices during good behavior" (unless appointed during a Senate recess). The term "good behavior" is understood to mean justices may serve for the remainder of their lives, unless they are impeached and convicted by Congress, resign, or retire.[98] Only one justice has been impeached by the House of Representatives (Samuel Chase, March 1804), but he was acquitted in the Senate (March 1805).[99] Moves to impeach sitting justices have occurred more recently (for example, William O. Douglas was the subject of hearings twice, in 1953 and again in 1970; and Abe Fortas resigned while hearings were being organized in 1969), but they did not reach a vote in the House. No mechanism exists for removing a justice who is permanently incapacitated by illness or injury, but unable (or unwilling) to resign.[100]

So it legally can happen. :tu:

But, it says being incapacitated isnt a reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skliss said:

I believe there is a medical provision for if the president is incapacitated. And his job has a definite time limit. I have nothing against Ruth, she does her job to the best of her abilities but I hope shes not torturing herself just to be a body in a seat. As for who would decide...I don't know, maybe a hopefully impartial panel? 

And who would select the panel? 

This is the trouble with your system. Politics has become intertwined with every aspect of life. I'm not sure you have such a thing as independent experts anymore. 

1 hour ago, skliss said:

We aren't some 3rd world banana republic, the majority of our folks are just fine. I'm sure a panel of doctors could manage to figure out her health and wellness without money under the table or backstabbing for political gain.

Sure, you just find someone apolitical but accountable to select that panel and get back to me. 

I never said you were a banana republic. They don't kid themselves into thinking they have a functioning government. 

4 hours ago, Setton said:

And who would select the panel? 

This is the trouble with your system. Politics has become intertwined with every aspect of life. I'm not sure you have such a thing as independent experts anymore. 

Except that it hasnt, thats just your perception of whats going on here in this country based on what you read. I wasn't thinking about politics while grocery shopping today or teaching class or eating dinner with my family.  If thats all you are thinking about then that's on you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Sure, you just find someone apolitical but accountable to select that panel and get back to me. 

I never said you were a banana republic. They don't kid themselves into thinking they have a functioning government. 

So dumb I'm not even gonna dignify with a comment.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 3:51 AM, CrimsonKing said:

As i said,i'm not speaking ill of her but i have a pretty good idea she is in no shape to be trying to do a job that is so vital to this country.

I mean she's 85 or 86 on top of having several health scares over the past several years before this.

Pretty sure that shot across the bow was for me, since my post was dropped.  I'll leave it at that, wouldn't want to get anyone into a tizzy over the poor dear.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:01 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah. It's the same process as federal judges and politicians, form what I remember. 

With respect, you're not far off it in many areas. Corporations, lobbying, the military industrial complex, the prison industrial complex (when you have an industry that relies on putting people in prison, something has went very, very wrong), the absolutely huge racial disparity, the abusive police forces and officers, unfair justice system if you're poor, hyper-partisan judges, hyper-religious judges and politicians, school funding skewed towards white people (thought that's part of the racial disparity), etc.

No system is perfect, but the US is less perfect than most. And most Americans don't even realise it.

You have little to no idea what goes on here on a daily basis. Your assumptions are ridiculous and yet again, insulting. For someone who thinks we're trash you come off as a huge wannabe. If we're so horrible, find something else to obsess over. We are never gonna be the sheep you like or follow the systems you seem to admire so get over it. We are not Europe, nor do We want to be.... *** shudder ***

• Thanks 1