Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real Shaolin Reacts to BBC Documentary

Piney

@Piney I literally just finished watching this.

Was unsure of his level of knowledge/sincerity as he said he was there for three years only.

But a lot of what he said sounded right. 

This resonates with you obviously?

Cheers!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Timothy said:

This resonates with you obviously?

Because I'm a Shorin Sohei  "Warrior Monk" and a "Sword Gentleman" and spent some time there.  I like @third_eye s translation for "Sohei" better though. He uses the term "Keeper" rather than "Warrior" because you protect people, animals and the environment in so many different ways.  

My "Home Temple" is the Byodo-In in Kyoto and O'ahu. 

2 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

@Piney    That was terrific.

Thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Was unsure of his level of knowledge/sincerity as he said he was there for three years only.

If I can get you to move properly I could teach you everything you need to know in a year.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

If I can get you to move properly I could teach you everything you need to know in a year.  :lol:

I’ll stretch up before I meet you! Haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

@third_eye  This child is spot on. 

Enjoyed this very much, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Piney said:

@third_eye  This child is spot on. 

bbc kinda has a poor reputation when it comes to production pieces on mainland China, you know as well as I do that if it's not scripted for the viewers today, they'll never understand the comings and goings back and forth in and out of the East 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, third_eye said:

bbc kinda has a poor reputation when it comes to production pieces on mainland China, you know as well as I do that if it's not scripted for the viewers today, they'll never understand the comings and goings back and forth in and out of the East 

I get so upset with Western translations that nobody calls out.

For example "Tienming" is not Divine Right like the European view. It's more like "The Karma of Leadership" and your not really a "Warrior Monk". More like a ........"Keeper-Watcher"

as you more aptly put it. I beat people up more with my brain then my fists or blades. 

He did fail to explain why we don't meditate though. But that would of probably take too long and to wrap it in a English explanation isn't easy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

He did fail to explain why we don't meditate though.

Simply put or said, it's no longer compulsory for masters of the form or skill, as for the Masters of the way, as representatives of the art, meditation is the inevitable unavoidable path 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Simply put or said, it's no longer compulsory for masters of the form or skill, as for the Masters of the way, as representatives of the art, meditation is the inevitable unavoidable path 

In tune, not thinking, doing, empty, no one....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that was really good.  Even better was your slice of story.  I was close to a visit once 30 years ago.   I was in Xian with a Chinese friend, we planned to go.  His mom called him home to help with the family business.  He had to leave quickly and I didn't go by myself.  Sort of regret it, but better for me to sniff it from afar than to be ugly standing  in the courtyard.

Being a former sawmiller and tree-hugger, I loved just touching those massive old  timbers in the Kyoto temples.  Cryptomeria?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Thanks, that was really good.  Even better was your slice of story.  I was close to a visit once 30 years ago.   I was in Xian with a Chinese friend, we planned to go.  His mom called him home to help with the family business.  He had to leave quickly and I didn't go by myself.  Sort of regret it, but better for me to sniff it from afar than to be ugly standing  in the courtyard.

Being a former sawmiller and tree-hugger, I loved just touching those massive old  timbers in the Kyoto temples.  Cryptomeria?

Yup! Juniper. Closely related to our Eastern red cedar. There is something special about that wood and my sword grips and stand are made from it.

Except my Thousand Fold. That grip is red cedar mahogany, which looks like it but it's tougher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1