Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA investigating "first crime in space"

Waspie_Dwarf

Nasa said to be investigating first allegation of a crime in space

Nasa is reported to be investigating a claim that an astronaut accessed the bank account of her estranged spouse from the International Space Station, in what may be the first allegation of a crime committed in space.

Anne McClain acknowledges accessing the account from the ISS but denies any wrongdoing, the New York Times reports.

Her estranged spouse, Summer Worden, reportedly filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

arrow3.gif  Read More: BBC News

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
Forgot to include source.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

The long arm of the Law.  Does the ISS have a Brig or somewhere that could be used as one?

• Like 6

Well she was out there for 6 months. But I would have thought she would have taken care of the financies before going.

She spent six months aboard the ISS and had been due to feature in the first all-female spacewalk, but her role was cancelled at the last minute over what Nasa said was a problem with availability of correct suit sizes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-49457912

Correct suit sizes? NASA does not have a suit to fit?

As space tourism becomes a reality, so might the need to prosecute space crime, 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-49457912

Jeeze. Has this got anything to do with the possibilities of people accessing bank accounts? Can the control station not watch is being accessed?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

The long arm of the Law.  

Lol. Very long arm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Correct suit sizes? NASA does not have a suit to fit?

You do realise that spacesuits are not like ordinary clothes don't you? They aren't just hanging on a peg waiting for someone to chose one. They are more like minature, self contained spacecraft.

Actually NASA has several spacesuits on board the ISS and they can be reconfigured to fit different astronauts (this is a huge improvement from the Apollo era when each spacesuit had to be manufactured for an individual astronaut), however reconfiguring a space suit to different sizes is a time consuming task. One had been configured to fit Anne McClain. In training on Earth, she preferred a large size. During a previous spacewalk she felt uncomfortable in the large and decided she would prefer the medium, unfortunately she made this decision rather late in the day. Since only one spacesuit had been configured for medium size, that to be worn by Christina Koch, NASA were faced with two options, either postpone the walk and reconfigure the spacewalk OR replace McClain with Nick Hague who also used a large size. McClain recommend to NASA that they proceed with the spacewalk using Hague and this is what NASA did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

The long arm of the Law.  Does the ISS have a Brig or somewhere that could be used as one?

Why would it be necessary? Where is an astronaut going to escape to? The only way down is in the spacecraft that they arrived in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Don't need a brig, just space them. :whistle:

Ah, the suggestion of extra-judicial killing without fair trial. It's amazing what some people think passes as humour.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You do realise that spacesuits are not like ordinary clothes don't you?

Yes, I always thought they were not off the peg suits.

12 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

One had been configured to fit Anne McClain. In training on Earth, she preferred a large size. During a previous spacewalk she felt uncomfortable in the large and decided she would prefer the medium, unfortunately she made this decision rather late in the day.

Did she think they were off the peg? 

Out of curiousity, how many astronauts change their mind after a suit has been configured to fit them? 

It is a time consuming task to configure them, did she not know this? I only ask because  there are several suits, but not the time once she changed her mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why would it be necessary? Where is an astronaut going to escape to? The only way down is in the spacecraft that they arrived in.

Well it depends on the crime. What if that astronaut was trying to sabotage the ISS & was putting other lives at risk? 

• Like 4

I can see it now.. Next they will send a "cleaning crew" to the spacestation. She will refuse to go back to Earth. Things are going to get ugly, there will be a shoot out. Zero gravity blood everywhere. A shortout starts a fire. O2 leak. Then she will take a hostage and steal the escape pod....

Or maybe some boring attorney with a bald head will straighten it all out with a phone call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I guess some court will eventually decide on this issue.

• Like 1

What I find rather humorous about all of this is it's the first crime ever committed in space and it is by a woman

I'm all for women's rights etc, but getting a "first" in like this, probably wasn't the smartest thing this woman could've done. :( 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, pixiii said:

What I find rather humorous about all of this is it's the first crime ever committed in space and it is by a woman

I'm all for women's rights etc, but getting a "first" in like this, probably wasn't the smartest thing this woman could've done. :( 

There is the 'fashion' side too. All the task and time involved to get her a suit configured  and later she decides its a bit big on the hips. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/24/2019 at 8:21 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Nasa said to be investigating first allegation of a crime in space

I wonder what the fee's may be on such a long distance funds transfer:cry:

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

There is the 'fashion' side too. All the task and time involved to get her a suit configured  and later she decides its a bit big on the hips. 

Oh yes!  I didn't think of that one @freetoroam LOL :lol:

I can see it now.... 

"Does this astronaut suit make my butt look big?" 

Yes, wearing one of those would definitely be a crime in itself isn't it!  So not flattering....probably a male designer for males of course :P  LOL 

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 7 months later...

Update:

"Low-orbit internet banking fraud claim alleged to be a load of space junk

"This is what comes of mixing the International Space Station, a relationship breakdown, and banking records"

At the UK Register (tech site): Link

What about that hole that was found in a Soyuz capsule docked to ISS the other year? I remember that it was found that the hole had been drilled from inside, so sabotage was suspected. When searching for the incident now, it looks like Russia decided to keep the cause of the hole a secret.

https://www.universetoday.com/140996/russian-cosmonaut-says-that-the-hole-in-the-iss-was-drilled-from-the-inside/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

What about that hole that was found in a Soyuz capsule docked to ISS the other year? I remember that it was found that the hole had been drilled from inside, so sabotage was suspected. When searching for the incident now, it looks like Russia decided to keep the cause of the hole a secret.

https://www.universetoday.com/140996/russian-cosmonaut-says-that-the-hole-in-the-iss-was-drilled-from-the-inside/

It was somebody not owning up to a mistake. (Very common these days)

"The hole was identified as a drill hole made by an "unsteady hand", potentially during manufacturing or when already in orbit, according to Roscosmos chief Dmitry Rogozin."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station_maintenance

• Like 1