Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Sri Lanka is home to a new species of tarantula—and its females are fuzzy, turquoise-tinged, and big enough to comfortably hug a donut.

Scientists found the arachnids within an isolated patch of southwestern rainforest, ringed by tea and rubber plantations. Living in tubular, silk-lined burrows, they are fast and aggressive, seizing unlucky insects that wander too close to their underground lairs. Measuring roughly five inches from tip to tip, these spiders are not exactly small, nor are their brilliant blue patches particularly subtle.

In fact, it’s these snazzy blue colors that first caught biologist Ranil Nanayakkara’s attention, and flagged the critters—now named Chilobrachys jonitriantisvansicklei—as potentially new to science. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/08/new-blue-tarantula-species-found/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

No. No. No. No.

Don't you get it???? They are invaders from another world, and now they are trying a new tactic! Ya see, they have learned from observing us, that we have a fondness for pretty and cute animals. They are adapting, try to look cute and cuddly, in order to be spared being nuked on sight!

Sure, you all laugh now, but when the arachnids conquer the planet, you won't be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How lovely! I want one ^_^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful but not as pretty as the Cobalt Blue Tarantula.. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

How lovely! I want one ^_^

See? They are gonna infiltrate!  

Cool! 

"Scientists found the arachnids within an isolated patch of southwestern rainforest, ringed by tea and rubber plantations"

This worries me. Tea and rubber plantations seem to inevitably expand with time. If this species is endemic to just that area it's future doesn't look. Then again, at least we would know they existed, who knows how many species have been driven to extinction we never even got to hear of. ALOT is my guess.

Ok maybe I have a dirty mind but doesn't the abdomen look like a butthole?

In the same article, another nightmare with too many legs...

In 2013, he described a new species of massive, tree-dwelling tarantula called Poecilotheria rajaei. Ornately decorated with interlocking geometric patterns, and with a legspan that could comfortably reach around your face, this so-called tiger spider ended up being a media sensation.

Beautiful, but I truly hope greedy hobbyists and businessmen and women don't get a hold of these and drive them to the edge of extinction like they've done with several other species. Not that anyone cares, because it's not "cute". 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry