Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the point of Spirituality?

XenoFish

I've spent a few years asking questions and it took one video to get some kind of answer. So for the believers out there. What is spirituality to you? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't see a point to it at all. But that facet of life simply doesnot exist, anyway. The rare times I even think about spirituality/religion are when I'm in some thread here, otherwise it's completely absent.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

So for the believers out there. What is spirituality to you? 

I am a follower of Advaita Vedanta philosophy. I feel we are all part of the One Consciousness/God/Brahman. The point of spirituality is realizing our eternal Oneness through love and compassion to experience the infinite sat-cit-Ananda (being-awareness-bliss).

It doesn't get any better than that!:clap:

• Like 1

Spirituality is a term that does not really register with me. To identify strongly with the immaterial, is to decry the material, and vice versa, both are one-sided attitudes, and neither make much sense as stand-alones, without the other. it is balance that is required. People who say you don't need money, you need only love, or God, are impractical, those that say the opposite, have also lurched into unrealism of a different kind. To spirituality and to materialism, give each its due.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

sI am a follower of Advaita Vedanta philosophy. I feel we are all part of the One Consciousness/God/Brahman. The point of spirituality is realizing our eternal Oneness through love and compassion to experience the infinite sat-cit-Ananda (being-awareness-bliss).

It doesn't get any better than that!:clap:

For one horrible moment I expected to see a reference to "suchness" in that, but I think that is Buddhism, or maybe not.

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

For one horrible moment I expected to see a reference to "suchness" in that, but I think that is Buddhism, or maybe not.

Vedanta refers to the Vedas which are holy scriptures of the South Asian Indian Hindu tradition. (If I understood what you are asking? "suchness"??)

Edited by papageorge1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Vedanta refers to the Vedas which are holy scriptures of the South Asian Indian Hindu tradition. (If I understood what you are asking? "suchness"??)

yes, I think the idea of "suchness" is Buddhist...….

"While alive the Buddha referred to himself as the Tathāgata, which can mean either "One who has thus come" or "One who has thus gone",[3] and interpreted correctly can be read as "One who has arrived at suchness". "

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

yes, I think the idea of "suchness" is Buddhist...….

Is that the same as being "woke"?

© Kamala Harris, 2019.

• Haha 2

People who talk about "woke" are probably not in the detached state our friend the Buddha advocated.

• Haha 1

I see spirituality as the conscious human response to God, it's both personal and ecclesial.  That is my Christian perspective, I know others who see it differently.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Page one and the "team" crap has already started.<_<

Blame piney, he started it ! :)

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I blame you. Either stick with the topic or leave. I'm freaking sick of your constant "team" nonsense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I blame you. Either stick with the topic or leave. I'm freaking sick of your constant "team" nonsense. 

I was on topic, piney changed it to the "team" !

57 minutes ago, Habitat said:

:o

47 minutes ago, Habitat said:

the "team" 

:unsure2:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

People who talk about "woke" are probably not in the detached state our friend the Buddha advocated.

What was the Buddhas real name? What do you even know about the Buddha? Why is he our friend?

5 minutes ago, joc said:

What was the Buddhas real name? What do you even know about the Buddha? Why is he our friend?

I think it was Gautama Siddartha, and of course his contribution to humanity makes him a true friend.

• Like 1

To me being spiritual is going against religion that controls the world. I search for different answers then what was told to me when I was born here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Habitat said:

I think it was Gautama Siddartha, and of course his contribution to humanity makes him a true friend.

What was his contribution that makes him a true friend?  

Does the Universe exist if no one is around to view it?  The answer...just like 'the tree falling in the woods'...it does.  But the wonders and magnitude of the universe can only be accessed through the avenue of Life.  If there is no Life to view the universe, it still exists...but it doesn't make a 'sound'.

The greatest mystery of all is: The Beginning of the Universe.  That question only became relative when a Life Form asked it.  

Spirituality is the answer to that question. The majority of people believe in God of some sort because of that one question. Everything that the universe is, seen and unseen, is very real.  Spirituality is all mental.  Therefore it only exists inside the Life Forms thoughts.  It isn't real otherwise.  It is an attempt to understand the unknowable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i'm starting to wonder if beginnings and endings are nothing more than concepts.  Misconceptions actually.

Does the Universe need concepts?

18 minutes ago, joc said:

Does the Universe exist if no one is around to view it?  The answer...just like 'the tree falling in the woods'...it does.  But the wonders and magnitude of the universe can only be accessed through the avenue of Life.  If there is no Life to view the universe, it still exists...but it doesn't make a 'sound'.

The greatest mystery of all is: The Beginning of the Universe.  That question only became relative when a Life Form asked it.  

Spirituality is the answer to that question. The majority of people believe in God of some sort because of that one question. Everything that the universe is, seen and unseen, is very real.  Spirituality is all mental.  Therefore it only exists inside the Life Forms thoughts.  It isn't real otherwise.  It is an attempt to understand the unknowable. 

I don't know. From the video it appeared that spirituality is more about 'one-ness' whatever that really means, God appeared to be an afterthought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lightly said:

i'm starting to wonder if beginnings and endings are nothing more than concepts.  Misconceptions actually.

Does the Universe need concepts?

Interesting thought. These are indeed arbitrary concepts of convenience, a seamless reality has only the appearance of them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've spent a few years asking questions and it took one video to get some kind of answer. So for the believers out there. What is spirituality to you? 

I think that much depends on the human mind.  I think that with the correct impetus, that thanks to this unusual birthright that we humans are capable of supernatural feats that go far beyond stage magic and self deception.  On the other hand, I am not properly convinced by any arguments as to why this is or should be the case. I don't entirely rule out the existence of supernatural entities, but I have only encountered one. That was a pretty profound (if confusing) experience in terms of its ramifications, if not the situation itself.  I can't help but think that there is an element to the physical world that we humans presently interact with occasionally, but not so often or reliably that we can get a proper understanding of it within our present scientific paradigm, and I am of two minds as to whether that is a good thing or not.  For my own part I am intensely curious about what is going on, and want to understand more.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joc said:

I think this gets more to the core of it. It is a question that has been considered by many great thinkers and involves consciousness/awareness. Consider the following:

Consciousness & Physical Reality Considerations

The actual relationship between consciousness and physical reality is mysterious. Physical reality may be a manifestation of conscious thought (idealism), or consciousness may arise from physical antecedents (materialism), or consciousness and physical reality may both arise from a common source (neutral monism), or consciousness and physical reality may arise independently of each other and interact somehow (dualism).

What is equally unclear is the nature of the interaction of the two. Does consciousness merely perceive reality or does it create reality or does it modify a pre-existing reality? And when we talk about consciousness, do we mean the consciousness of the individual or of the human species or of all living things or of God? If consciousness creates or modifies reality, is this reality a whole or partial product of individual consciousness or of collective consciousness or of divine consciousness? And so on.

I think spirituality includes the consciousness/awareness of existence, physical or spiritual. But this still doesn't really answer the source of either, or whether that conscious awareness exists before, and during, and after the physical experience.

Sojo

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked