Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Headmistress Hits School Jackpot

Michelle

Before criticizing the site do a little research, please. I would also like to have any factual information that can be proven.

Delingpole: Black Conservative Headmistress Hits School Results Jackpot; Left Throws Tantrum

Children at an inner London state school in one of the roughest, most deprived, ethnically diverse parts of Britain have won spectacular results in their exams.

Because though the headmistress Katharine Birbalsingh is black, she’s the wrong kind of black: a conservative who doesn’t believe in playing the race card or identity politics.

Because though the kids come from largely working-class, migration-background families, they are the wrong kind of working-class immigrants: ones who don’t know their role is to be victims and to blame their failures on racism and government inaction.

cont...

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/08/24/britains-strictest-headmistress-rules-ok/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

sorry i'm confused.... what is the point of this thread?

Don't be confused - it's simple.  

This school's students are rejoicing in the high results they achieved (one of the highest in the nation) and the children are predominantly coloured, immigrants and come from lower income families.  They're not playing the victim card that people in this situation normally play up in society. 

Is it time to celebrate for their wonderful achievement or still play the victim card?  I choose to celebrate - what a job well done (regardless of their immigrant/lower income status).  This is fantastic and they are as proud as punch look at them!!  Absolutely gorgeous. :w00t:  

What a heart warming story Michelle - thanks, lovely with my morning coffee here on a Sunday! :D

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, pixiii said:

What a heart warming story Michelle - thanks, lovely with my morning coffee here on a Sunday! :D

It warmed my heart, too pixiii !!!

• Like 4

Don't be confused - it's simple.  

This school's students are rejoicing in the high results they achieved (one of the highest in the nation) and the children are predominantly coloured, immigrants and come from lower income families.  They're not playing the victim card that people in this situation normally play up in society. 

Is it time to celebrate for their wonderful achievement or still play the victim card?  I choose to celebrate - what a job well done (regardless of their immigrant/lower income status).  This is fantastic and they proud as punch look at them!!  Absolutely gorgeous. :w00t: 

i'm in the uk & i've not heard of this until now after reading it via this low end article= the data seems all over the place to me

• Like 1

I don't think the school is getting enough accolades as it should be. Maybe, because it goes against the new norm.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

i'm in the uk & i've not heard of this until now after reading it via this low end article= the data seems all over the place to me

Now you've confused me! :lol:

What more data do you need than to celebrate a bunch of students who have had it really rough, but have just achieved some of the highest results in the nation!  Isn't it exciting?  How often do we hear of a good old fashioned story of students in the roughest of neighbourhoods in cities, where the kids come from all walks of life and get results like these.  It's lovely!  

It's where these kids haven't sat down and thought omg my life just sucks, I'm an immigrant, I'm black, I'm poor.....no, they've put their heads down and studied and achieved fantastic results without feeling sorry for themselves.  It's absolutely beautiful to see this!

It reminds me of that old Michelle Pfeiffer movie where she went into that school where poor kids were and it looked really rough and she taught them and they did well on their exams. 

Inspirational is what this is! :clap: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You are truly a breathe of fresh air, pixiii. :st

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I love that kid with the RE2PECT hat!!! :lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

yeah if it's true

Omg do I have to do everything for you? :P Lazy thing @Dejarma I hope you're not one of these people who sit down and play the victim card!  :lol: 

Since you made a comment over the Breitbart article, perhaps these are more to your liking :P :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/education-49430077/it-s-good-to-have-rules-children-know-where-they-stand

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/aug/22/controversial-michaela-free-school-delights-in-gcse-success

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7383063/Britains-toughest-Tiger-Teacher-live-tweets-GCSE-pupils-exam-joy.html

edit: had to take The Sun out because it must be a spammy site perhaps?  I'm not familiar with that one sorry

Enjoy! ;) 

There's even videos, lemme know if you want those too and I'll happily oblige.  I'll read a whole bunch of articles from both sides - only then can you make an informed opinion.  :tsu:

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Oh wow, watch this short video from the BBC and see what these kids think of this "tiger teaching" which people have criticised - but to me this is about teaching the kids morals, manners, feeling safe in their environment, no bullying, feeling free to ask questions and learn and gratitude even though they don't have very much.  So refreshing - oh good for them. :D 

Click here for BBC video on these kids - Amazing

da281b4ed47fff02ca950cc7e3ee6c63.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, pixiii said:

I hope you're not one of these people who sit down and play the victim card!

i most definitely do all the time= i'm old fat & ugly;) 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

You are truly a breathe of fresh air, pixiii. :st

Hah I just say what I mean. I'm fairly black and white when it comes to some things and often have to remind myself there is often grey areas.  I'd always be the first to apologise if someone felt offended though, plus I have a horribly dry sense of humour!  Gets me into trouble sometimes :whistle: :lol:

23 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

i most definitely do all the time= i'm old fat & ugly;)

Oh no don't talk like that about yourself!  You're probably tall, dark and handsome behind that keyboard of yours! :P :lol:

Edited by pixiii
  • Haha 1

Hah I just say what I mean. I'm fairly black and white when it comes to some things and often have to remind myself there is often grey areas.  I'd always be the first to apologise if someone felt offended though, plus I have a horribly dry sense of humour!  Gets me into trouble sometimes :whistle: :lol:

Some of the most benign comments on the internet will get people's dander up. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pixiii said:

Oh no don't talk like that about yourself!  You're probably tall, dark and handsome behind that keyboard of yours! :P :lol:

If Dejarma is who I think he is, the word is “Hobbitesque”.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Michelle said:

Before criticizing the site do a little research, please. I would also like to have any factual information that can be proven.

Delingpole: Black Conservative Headmistress Hits School Results Jackpot; Left Throws Tantrum

Children at an inner London state school in one of the roughest, most deprived, ethnically diverse parts of Britain have won spectacular results in their exams.

Because though the headmistress Katharine Birbalsingh is black, she’s the wrong kind of black: a conservative who doesn’t believe in playing the race card or identity politics.

Because though the kids come from largely working-class, migration-background families, they are the wrong kind of working-class immigrants: ones who don’t know their role is to be victims and to blame their failures on racism and government inaction.

cont...

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/08/24/britains-strictest-headmistress-rules-ok/

I was listening to her on the radio yesterday, discipline is the main feature in her school, the teacher stands by the blackboard and teaches the kids, they don't talk unless they hold their hand up and request it, there's no talking back or cheek from the kids it's not tolerated, she put this idea forward at a conservative conference and nothing came of it so she opened her own free school.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I was listening to her on the radio yesterday, discipline is the main feature in her school, the teacher stands by the blackboard and teaches the kids, they don't talk unless they hold their hand up and request it, there's no talking back or cheek from the kids it's not tolerated, she put this idea forward at a conservative conference and nothing came of it so she opened her own free school.

Did you watch that video I put in a post up there somewhere @hetrodoxly?  It's only a a couple of minutes, short video - but it shows how they school them and the kids talk and everything.  It's really lovely to see - I was really impressed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pixiii said:

Did you watch that video I put in a post up there somewhere @hetrodoxly?  It's only a a couple of minutes, short video - but it shows how they school them and the kids talk and everything.  It's really lovely to see - I was really impressed!

I have now, excellent. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Michelle said:

Because though the kids come from largely working-class, migration-background families, they are the wrong kind of working-class immigrants: ones who don’t know their role is to be victims and to blame their failures on racism and government inaction

Everybody should be happy about this and inspired too.  Pixiii mentioned the Michelle Pfeiffer movie, there was one with Edward James Olmos called "Stand and Deliver:  There are stories about it occasionally for many countries.  There was a low income school featured on NPR that produced championship debaters.  Many of us had a demanding but best loved teacher in school, if you didn't you missed something valuable.

I don't mean to get up your nose but, what is the lesson here?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Everybody should be happy about this and inspired too.  Pixiii mentioned the Michelle Pfeiffer movie, there was one with Edward James Olmos called "Stand and Deliver:  There are stories about it occasionally for many countries.  There was a low income school featured on NPR that produced championship debaters.  Many of us had a demanding but best loved teacher in school, if you didn't you missed something valuable.

I don't mean to get up your nose but, what is the lesson here?

I remember that movie too - had the La Bamba guy in it iirc. 

To me, the lesson here is, a strict teacher doesn't do any harm but can teach kids respect, to be grateful for what they have, building confidence leads to empowerment, to have integrity, to cooperate with others, teach them to be resilient, through resilience brings achievements they can be proud of etc etc. 

I'm actually guilty of coddling my own two boys as I think most parents are to a degree.  My teachers were amazing and I agree, you always remember the more strict ones, as one of my strictest teachers taught me to appreciate history and geography as an example.  I put a meme up above in a post somewhere where I look forward to morals, respect and intelligence coming back into fashion again.  

I think that school has accomplished this to a high degree and all the best to the staff and students.  Yes, it's incredibly inspirational. What a job well done! :D 

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pixiii said:

To me, the lesson here is, a strict teacher doesn't do any harm but can teach kids respect, to be grateful for what they have, building confidence leads to empowerment, to have integrity, to cooperate with others, teach them to be resilient, through resilience brings achievements they can be proud of etc etc. 

Yeah.  I was thinking too that attention and care are more critical to a  child's success than money and every possible opportunity.

• Like 1

Yes, read about this school some time ago. Apparently the school consistently outperforms other state schools and uses traditional methods re discipline, manners etc. and parents are falling over themselves to send their kids there.

But after the head mistress once spoke at a tory conference she was told she'd never be allowed to work in the state sector again.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 4:08 PM, Tatetopa said:

Yeah.  I was thinking too that attention and care are more critical to a  child's success than money and every possible opportunity.

I agree. I’ve gotten more out of a child as a PE teacher by telling them I believe they can do something and then cheering when they do even the most ordinary looking kick or throw and the next lesson or in the playground I see them demonstrate the skill I was after with more confidence. I could shout and say the sort of things PE teachers said to me for years but wouldn’t see them try and have the confidence to try again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1