Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eggs harvested from northern white rhinos

UM-Bot

This is so terribly sad - but I'd also like to say that this is one of those rare occasions when I think cloning would be ok.  I feel kinda strange even saying that, as I don't believe in cloning, except in these incidences where a species such as this White Rhino is so awfully close to extinction.

The last male died last year due to old age.  Even though they've managed to harvest 10 eggs from the last remaining Mother and Daughter White Rhino's there's no guarantee they'll be able to become pregnant.  And to think this is the final result of poaching.

Isn't it sad to think these two last White Rhinos on the planet have to be under 24 hour a day guard due to poachers.  Brings tears to my eyes thinking how awful humans can be, all in the name of money.  :cry:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have to agree with you on this one re cloning.  Poachers don’t seem to get that when the last one goes so does their illgotten income.  Forever, from this one source.   Poaching is laziness in the extreme.  Taking what isn’t yours with weapons the target hasn’t a hope in hell of avoiding.  And to add to the disaster these animals are being killed for medically worthless keratin.  I can’t say on here what I think of the final recipients of the product who believe otherwise and create the demand in the first place.

• Like 4

On 8/26/2019 at 6:46 PM, Timothy said:

I didn’t know rhinos laid eggs!

(Sorry, it is sad :ph34r:)

Well...female humans have eggs too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woopypooky said:

Well...female humans have eggs too.

Yeah yeah, but you know what I meant.

Bad joke I know...

Time to hard boil one of those suckers. The horn is the annoying bit. Don’t swallow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 1:52 AM, Susanc241 said:

I have to agree with you on this one re cloning.  Poachers don’t seem to get that when the last one goes so does their illgotten income.  Forever, from this one source.   Poaching is laziness in the extreme.  Taking what isn’t yours with weapons the target hasn’t a hope in hell of avoiding.  And to add to the disaster these animals are being killed for medically worthless keratin.  I can’t say on here what I think of the final recipients of the product who believe otherwise and create the demand in the first place.

I agree.  I don't understand that whole industry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

Yeah yeah, but you know what I meant.

Bad joke I know...

Time to hard boil one of those suckers. The horn is the annoying bit. Don’t swallow!

Maybe you could make better jokes in the political threads.  In this one those aren't funny.  (or maybe it's just the wrong audience)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe you could make better jokes in the political threads.  In this one those aren't funny.  (or maybe it's just the wrong audience)

It’s funny to the right people. Sorry to offend!

Think of it as sarcastically-taking-the-p***- because-it’s-an-incredibly-sad-thing-and- sometimes-when-a-situation-is-unable-to-be-recovered-only-a-crappy-joke-will-suffice. 

I guess just a bit of satire on humanity. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

They should let the poor animals go extinct,there is nowhere wild on Earth where they will be safe.We are just trying to keep them going to make ourselves feel ok about overpopulating and ruining the planet for all creatures including ourselves.

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

It’s funny to the right people. Sorry to offend!

Think of it as sarcastically-taking-the-p***- because-it’s-an-incredibly-sad-thing-and- sometimes-when-a-situation-is-unable-to-be-recovered-only-a-crappy-joke-will-suffice. 

I guess just a bit of satire on humanity. 

Hope that helps!

I understand, I don't think it helps.  There are some times when a crappy joke makes things worse instead of better.  I have a dark humor myself but sometimes it isn't appropriate.   Maybe I take this subject too seriously, but we are loosing a lot and striving for profit is driving the loss most of all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest:

Scientists succeed in creating 2 embryos of near-extinct northern white rhino

An international consortium of scientists and conservationists announced Wednesday that they have succeeded in creating two embryos of the near-extinct northern white rhino, a milestone in assisted reproduction that may be a pivotal turning point in the fate of the species.

The embryos were created in vitro, using eggs collected from the last two remaining females and frozen sperm from dead males, they said at a news conference in the northern Italian city of Cremona.

The embryos are now stored in liquid nitrogen, to be transferred into a surrogate mother — a southern white rhino — in the near future.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/scientists-create-embryos-of-near-extinct-northern-white-rhino-1.5279474

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2