Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Metal detectorists find ancient coins hoard

Still Waters

Yep.  Treasure belongs to the crown:

So Finders Keepers Then?

Not exactly. Technically, all hidden treasure found in the UK belongs to the Crown (the Queen in her state role as monarch but not as her private property). The rights and legal obligations of the finders and landowners are covered by the  Treasure Act of 1996. The law is different in Scotland, which still uses the older treasure trovecommon law rules.

Is it Treasure or Treasure Trove?

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, objects are considered "Treasure" if they are:

• at least 300 years old
  • made of at least 10 per cent of a precious metal – gold or silver - if not prehistoric.
  • made of precious metal in any amount or part if the object is prehistoric
  • coins that are least 10 per cent gold or silver. If a coin hoard as a whole does not contain that proportion of precious metal, then at least 10 individual coins must.

Edited by OverSword

Just now, aztek said:

what is? that you are easy to bamboozle? yep it is a fact

He wouldn't be baboozled when the Beefeaters broke down his door and took his coins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

He wouldn't be baboozled when the Beefeaters broke down his door and took his coins.

it wont get to that,  he wil report it like an obedient sheep, gvmnt  will take it away, and tell him he will get fair market price, someday,  and that will be the end of story, maybe he'll get his 15 minutes of fame, on  local tv news, showing what a model subject he is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You owning something of historical significance that you found.  Limiting what you could be paid for it.  Pretty sure I read about just that very thing on this website last year or the year before when someone discovered a cache of gold roman coins.

Yep.  You take them to small coin shops, antique shows, sell on ebay, etc. just a few at a time over a decade or so.  You won't get t

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yep.  You take them to small coin shops, antique shows, sell on ebay, etc. just a few at a time over a decade or so.  You won't get the five million but then again, you wouldn't have anyway

Remind me never to go into business with you :)

What you've been reading is wrong, i have a fantastic collection of Roman, Saxon, Medieval artefacts and coins, all gone through what's known as the portable antiquates scheme, it's only very very rare things the Museum are interested in, you'd be able to keep gold Celtic, medieval, coins etc, the Museums are more interested in the hole they came out of.

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

what is? that you are easy to bamboozle? yep it is a fact

So your saying over all these years the people who've been paid for their finds have been lying?

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

What you've been reading is wrong, i have a fantastic collection of Roman, Saxon, Medieval artefacts and coins, all gone through what's known as the portable antiquates scheme, it's only very very rare things the Museum are interested in, you'd be able to keep gold Celtic, medieval, coins etc, the Museums are more interested in the hole they came out of.

Yes, one or two coins here and there they don't care about.  That precisely why I said take them out a few at a time and sell them.  In the case of a "treasure horde" they belong to the crown.

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

So your saying over all these years the people who've been paid for their finds have been lying?

Do you think the person that found this horde will get 5 M pounds?  Probably more like 700.

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I've read you can't really own guns in the good old USA.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Do you think the person that found this horde will get 5 M pounds?  Probably more like 700.

They'll get what they're worth.

6 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

can you show me at least 1 that got paid, not told that he would be, but actually did get paid

Edited by aztek

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

can you show me at least 1 that got paid, not told he will be but actually did

Google it there's loads, start with one in a museum by me, the Staffordshire hoard, he got 3,000,000

5 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

They'll get what they're worth.

Any idea what the tax rates are on the sale of a find?

5 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Google it there's loads, start with one in a museum by me, the Staffordshire hoard, he got 3,000,000

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/the-story-of-the-hoard/what-is-the-staffordshire-hoard-made-from

no mention of any finders getting paid

if there are loads you'd have no problem posting 1 to prove your point, yet you failed to do so.

Edited by aztek

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

Have another look, i've been detecting for over 40 years do you not think us detectorists on the many forums wouldn't know if they wasn't paying out, i've seen the guy say he got £3,000,000.

3 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Have another look, i've been detecting for over 40 years do you not think us detectorists on the many forums wouldn't know if they wasn't paying out, i've seen the guy say he got £3,000,000.

unless you can post me a credible link, you have not proved anything, i do not buy hearsay. there are loads of them on google, so you should have no problem backing up your words

Edited by aztek

Just now, aztek said:

unless you can post me a credible link, you have not proved anything

I'm not your secretary, if you want to know have a look there's loads of people been paid for their finds over the years.

29 minutes ago, aztek said:

no you are not, you made a claim, it is on you to back it up.

This is one of the most bizarre conversations i've had, you think over all these years and all the payouts have not been made and no ones complained? from the horses mouth.

• Like 1