Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Our tarot stories

TrumanB

I see this topic as a place where we can share and discuss our personal experiences with tarot cards.

I'll start with one that seems interesting to me. Around 6 months ago I asked tarot a simple question: Is there a God?

I chose one card opening where upright card is yes and reversed is no. And the card that I picked up was...THE SUN. This card is the clearest possible answer to this question (yes). There is no more suitable card for god than The Sun. Now, to be clear, I am not a religious person and I usually define myself as an agnostic.

Share your own interesting tarot stories!

• Like 1

I mucked with a Native deck as a teenager. My grandfather sold all the different decks in his woo shop. But I don't remember any details.

I think @Jenn8779 mucked around with a Rider deck she bought from him, but I don't remember if it was her or our friend Margo. 

• Thanks 1

I use rider-waite deck, it's pretty solid.

Anyhow, can't wait to hear some interesting stories!

• Like 1

About 1986 I dated a girl who wouldn't leave her home each day unless/until she got a good reading from tarot.  One time I took her and a male friend of hers to a party and they both were a big hit going around the party giving everyone readings.  At some point when all were drunk and high she and her friend got into a little argument and she stormed out throwing her cards on the floor.  A few of them landed face up and her friend started building off of those cards.  At that point I realized these people were just to weird for me and after I drove them both to their respective homes in a very uncomfortable silence I stopped returning her calls.  A few times over the next couple of months I came home to little packages on my doorstep. I only opened one of them which was some sort of voodoo fetish bag with feathers, stones and charms in it.  Fearing her intent to perhaps throw a curse on me I didn't open any of the other packages and just threw them all away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An interesting story. I'd also like to hear stories about answers that tarot readings gave to some significant/interesting questions.

I don't remember the specific cards, but I once was looking at land with some friends and they were all over the place.  They had found a place in each direction from the city we lived in and I did a spread asking about each direction.  One answer was "heart's desire" or something similar.  The direction was the place that I actually bought.  I used the Voyager deck back then.  I don't do much with Tarot any more but back then I even did readings at a few psychic fairs.  It was not really my thing though, too many "psychics" is hard for me to take.  They are often so sensitive and jealous.  I told someone at a book club once "I used to hang out with psychics, then I met some artists and I now hang out with artists because they are more fun."  I didn't know she called herself a psychic, it was a Sci Fi book club so I was surprised when she got prickly with me.  I hope no one chooses to be offended by my stories as they are not meant to be offensive, just stories based on my experiences.

P.S.  that land is my favorite place, I forgot to mention that, I still own it and go up to visit as often as I can.  Lived there for 3 years but had to move for a job.

Edited by Desertrat56
P.S.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TrumanB said:

I chose one card opening where upright card is yes and reversed is no. And the card that I picked up was...THE SUN. This card is the clearest possible answer to this question (yes).

No it is not unless you want it to be.

The Sun is an actual celesrial body which is the centre of our solar system. It is visible and can be felt. We know for a fact there is a sun and we know it is by far the most important source of energy for life on Earth.

This card is generally considered positive. It is said to reflect happiness and contentment, vitality, self-confidence and success.

How do you translate the above to being a yes to there being a god? 

= exactly the same way you would have made any other card to suit. :rolleyes:

I do not read Tarot anymore, but for some years I was heavily into it. Nowadays I only have a beat up old Ryder-Waite, but recently picked up a sort of hybrid oracle/tarot deck called The Good Tarot, to get some insight into the popular oracle decks today, as I am often answering questions about current trends and things in the paranormal/occultic arenas. I flipped through it and felt it was just possibly the prettiest deck I had ever seen, and thus valuable for some meditations of I wanted something new to think on for a while, but useless otherwise. Little traditional to them, but each is a lovely work of art.

About a week later I got up and my faithful dog Miss T was not out in the yard to greet me as she always is. She didn't show up at all the whole morning. I called and looked and no sign of her.

On a whim I shuffled that new deck and tossed out three cards on her and it surprised me how the meaning went past the symbology I knew from my years studying this "art". I saw she was at peace and had gone through a door after a journey or passage by water. It was so clear just looking at them. I got on my boots and walked down by the river and found her, laying on the shore as if asleep. No sign of trauma so I assume she may have been bitten by a snake out while swimming on her own during the night. You could see she'd been out there doing her favorite thing and come up on shore and simply laid down.

I found that interesting, as I knew the moment I saw those three cards she'd died and where. We never walk down there, that was not her usual swimming spot, but there she was, my little Miss T. 

Unless someone is a reader who actually knows the traditional meanings and ways the Tarot can connect (or not) , this is hard to explain, but I know other readers will know what I mean about just knowing soon as you see the cards. This was like that, as if I saw where she was as I glanced over them. After years of rarely touching them and this being a deck I had never used, just looked over once, it was an interesting result.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

@Not A Rockstar

Thank you for sharing this insightful story with us. By the way, any book to recommend to find more about these traditional meanings?

@freetoroamYou obviously have no idea what tarot is.

Edited by TrumanB

tbh @TrumanB I read the usual generic stuff by The Golden Dawn back when I got into it in my teens and that helped a bit, a small bit, but what actually helped me break through and really connect with it was I took the majors and meditated on each one for about a week or so, until they actually could come alive in my imagination and talk to me about themselves, or sometimes even how they spoke about things in my own life. A few it took a day, a few it took a couple weeks. Most though within a week I felt I knew that archetype fairly well. I think this was key to my early development, in more ways than tarot as it gave me a larger view of life then, young as I was and rather naïve. Just really commit to that one card, until it speaks the way you hear, basically. 

But, I am very visual and communicative in type so that was how they responded, they came to life in meditation. Perhaps a different sort will have a different sense for them, better or worse. At one point, I was in high demand and made a good bit of change from readings, but, I got away from that soon as I was over a financially challenging time they helped with, and later realized my sense had grown to where I did not need the cards anymore, though early into that stage I sometimes saw a card in my mind's eye when I was counselling someone. 

All that ended about twenty years ago though and I do not read cards now, though I kept my first deck out of sentimentality and for reference until I bought that hybrid deck a few months back to look it over and get a better idea about oracle decks. I just do spiritual readings now and then only as plainly assigned by spirit to do so. I do not do requests unless I feel that within me to do it and respond to someone. Usually I do not consider it a reading but a conversation with my Higher Self in that sense. It is always for spiritual goals or to respond to someone in emotional crisis, not the usual "when will I find a better job" sort of thing.

Trouble with traditional meanings is that they are so broad and almost useless for specific readers. I have come to know that real servants have specific areas they tend to deal with - specific sorts who seek them for help I mean. So only a few meanings may ever actually show up for you but always mean that for another reader. Specific example for me would be aces. One common meaning for them is pregnancy - a new life coming. In almost 30 years of reading regularly an ace only ever meant that ONE time for me. Just once.

So, I am an advocate of spending time with them to the degree a person wants to really learn from them. They are books in a sense, each one, and understanding is only as depthy as one spends time to read that, before reading, as it were (I am grinning, that sounds convoluted, but you know what I mean). 

Thank you for asking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrumanB said:

@freetoroamYou obviously have no idea what tarot is.

How about you explain your version. .

You asked if there was a god, why would you even think about turning over a card to give you an answer?

If you believe in a god it should be because of your own personal reasons, not because any card you turn over is then interpretated as the answer???

14 hours ago, TrumanB said:

THE SUN. This card is the clearest possible answer to this question (yes).

Why is it? 

The explanation for the sun in tarot does not say "it means there is a god".

Here is what it says about the sun card

This card is generally considered positive. It is said to reflect happiness and contentment, vitality, self-confidence and success.[1][2][3]Sometimes referred to as the best card in Tarot, it represents good things and positive outcomes to current struggles

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_(Tarot_card)

YOU interpretated it as it meaning there is a god, why and how ?

Had you turned over another card, I have no doubt you would have said that was the best card, purely because you want it to be.

lol you take one simplified WP explanation and think that you know everything about that card. Well, I have to tell you, tarot is much more than what's on wikipedia. This card also represents the highest deity, in other word - god. In some traditions such as egyptian that's exactly how it is.

- Had you turned over another card, I have no doubt you would have said that was the best card, purely because you want it to be.

this is your bias and, again, you show us that you don't know much about tarot cards. Different cards have different meanings. The fact that I picked up Major Arcana and that it is SUN means a lot to anyone who has some understanding of this topic.

Edited by TrumanB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out of all the cards in the tarot deck, the Sun is the one that indicates the clearest "yes".
And the Sun is also the card that I'd most strongly associate with the idea of a god, or rather a deity.

Besides, the Sun card also symbolized truth and enlightenment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@freetoroamLearn from the master!

4 hours ago, TrumanB said:

@freetoroamLearn from the master!

I do not need to learn. 

You ask man made playing cards questions about your beliefs and you say I need to learn? :D

Artists in Europe created the first playing cards, which were used for games, and featured four different suits.

If you used them.as a game, fine, but to take it seriously is really quote sad. 

If you believe in a god, why would you possibly need to ask a pack of cards if one exists?  

8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If you believe in a god, why would you possibly need to ask a pack of cards if one exists?  

Who says that I believe in God? Maybe I was just curious.

By the way, tarot deck is a TOOL. If you have open channel you'll be able to pick up some information. So it's not so important who created it.

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

Who says that I believe in God? Maybe I was just curious.

By the way, tarot deck is a TOOL. If you have open channel you'll be able to pick up some information. So it's not so important who created it.

It is not really important who created them, more so why.

The artistry on the cards is not surprising. The Italian renaissance period began in the 14th century, art was changing and the renaissance  art incorporated much of what you see in the cards, 

Renaissance art, painting, sculpture, architecture, music, and literature produced during the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries in Europe under the combined influences of an increased awareness of nature, a revival of classical learning, and a more individualistic view of man. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_art

Why do you think the believers who decide to use this card game as a "tool", need a tool in the first place?  And why a pack of beautifully designed Italian renaissance game cards? 

Be it Tarot, tea leaves, goat entrails, astrology or anything one thinks of to use for a "reading" all of them are just tools used to by-pass the first line of the rational reasoning mind to attempt to access the subconscious inner knowing, which some see as only that - a primordial instinct left to us in the onward march of "progress" and evolution, while others believe is a lot more than that, potentially.

It makes no difference if one cannot see this and wants to fling a wall of disbelief and rationalizing at the practice. If a tool works to hush that for someone and they get more in touch with that inner self, and this is what is important to THEM, then it has done its task, and is nobody else's business. Someone for whom this is not a good tool, it will never make any sense. For someone for whom it works, it does make sense. No one has any obligation to explain this, and no real ability to, either.

Even the Bible speaks of casting lots to determine things, it is an ancient practice to seek to discern future outcomes or matters one cannot know in the ordinary course of things by various means. We each pick our poisons, some choose to be rational in the extreme and deny any other truth, and so do others choose other roads. One cannot have their cake and eat it too, as it were. You do not know what you do not know. If you do not need it, good for you.

Tarot is demonized by the very religious, who see them as works of the Devil and demonic. Rationalists decry them as stupid and useless fakery. 

Those who enjoy them pretty much ignore both points of view as rather ironic, to be so zealous about trying to force their points of view on anyone else who differs, and yet so militant that their own views aren't respected and bowed down to as "truth".

I guess we all have our hobbies.

I once was in the personal office of an Oxford Don and he was showing me his collection of over a hundred very old tarot decks, many of them hand painted, on a shelf that encircled his whole office just over our heads as we stood in there. They were amazing works of art and creativity, inspired pictures which spoke to me of a lot of energy and creativity and dreams of people who had gone before us. I admired it then and still do, in my mass produced "The Good Tarot". It is a heritage of dreams and believing in More, and I support that. Tarot has been good to me, a friendly tool for meditation and thinking through issues as I consider a layout with my mind and heart for a better way to go forward. It has harmed no one, and certainly not me, either, so I ignore criticism of the practice in general. They stood as better friends to me than any person ever did in my darker nights, while another may have turned to alcohol or drugs. 

All in all, Tarot has been a good friend to me. I am 60 now and picked up my first deck when I was about 13. It did what I needed it to do for me, nothing demonic, nothing weird or woo-full.  

One man's truth is another man's bs. That's OK.

• Like 4

@freetoroamSorry, but I find your questions simply meaningless. Why do we need tools? Well, why anybody needs tools for anything? Why handyman uses hammer...that is what you're asking. Tarot is a very good tool because of rich symbols that those cards have. You need to dive deeper into this topic if you want to understand it.

@Not A RockstarGood explanation, but I would say that tarot help us to connect to the collective field of information too.

30 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

@freetoroamSorry, but I find your questions simply meaningless. Why do we need tools? Well, why anybody needs tools for anything? Why handyman uses hammer...that is what you're asking. Tarot is a very good tool because of rich symbols that those cards have. You need to dive deeper into this topic if you want to understand it.

Lol, you compare an  tool invented over 3 million years ago  to a pack of gaming cards from the 14th century? Ridiculous!!!!

Why do you feel you need cards to answer your question of a god? Surely that is something you should be asking yourself

As for the rich symbols on the cards, that has been explained to you, re the Italian rennaissance period and art

Artists in Europe created the first playing cards, which were used for games

https://www.learnreligions.com/a-brief-history-of-tarot-2562770

how much of that did you know about the history of the tarot cards?  

Again, you don't understand that history of tarot is not important.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, TrumanB said:

Again, you don't understand that history of tarot is not important.

It kinda is...if it was invented as game as FreeToRoam suggests, with a source...then it was just a game. There is nothing mystical about them. Its confirming your own belief without any evidence. 

• Like 1

Well, if "customers" are satisfied then I guess that it's not only about my beliefs. Evidence is their confirmation.