Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

greek fire

silence!

39 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drip_gas

1. A naturally occurring form of gasoline found near many oil and natural gas wells. It can be used in vehicles, but doing so is illegal and has been reported to cause damage to engines.

I googled it myself. There were no oil and natural gas wells at the time it was used. Just seeps. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I googled it myself. There were no oil and natural gas wells at the time it was used. Just seeps. 

Yup, condensate does seep from the ground. It was quite common in certain parts of Appalachia up until the early 1900s. Then oil and gas drilling boomed, and locations where drip gas was were ideal locations for drilling.

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Maybe those cleaver Byzantines found a way to distill oil into petrol.

• Like 1

Just now, Awlsew said:

Yup, condensate does seep from the ground. It was quite common in certain parts of Appalachia up until the early 1900s. Then oil and gas drilling boomed, and locations where drip gas was were ideal locations for drilling.

You have a link for this? I have kin in West Virginia who own gas wells and I never heard this 

Although drip gas was used for tractors in Texas, it was taken right off the pipeline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Maybe those cleaver Byzantines found a way to distill oil into petrol.

With drip gas there in no need. Drip gas is naturally occuring gasoline. All one has to do is collect it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Awlsew said:

Drip gas, or natural gas condensate, would have been in limited supply above ground. The amount would have been finite. 

But again, it is the only known substance that satisfys seemingly all definitions of 'Greek Fire'.

Why, a considered combination of rubidium and magnesium incorporated into a coniferous sap base would likely be quite effective. But those pesky extraction processes.

Or possibly they simply utilized a S/KNO3 combination with a diluted petroleum product. There are many potential variations on the theme. To consider "drip gas" as the only potential formulation would be a limited perspective.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

You have a link for this? I have kin in West Virginia who own gas wells and I never heard this 

Although drip gas was used for tractors in Texas, it was taken right off the pipeline.

Info about drip gas can be found inside this museum, but not on their web site:

http://wvmuseums.org/places/united-states/west-virginia/parkersburg/mid-ohio-valley/oil-and-gas-museum/

And at Burning Springs, WV

Drip gas is illegal to use directly. Not much on the web about it.

• Like 3

Just now, Awlsew said:

With drip gas there in no need. Drip gas is naturally occuring gasoline. All one has to do is collect it.

Thanks for that. Reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones and the last crusade

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Thanks for that. Reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones and the last crusade

My ears are burning:blink:. Just posted a reference about that movie on another site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

Burning Springs WV. Basically the town was named after it.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015009099824&view=1up&seq=170

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Awlsew said:

My ears are burning:blink:. Just posted a reference about that movie on another site.

What a coincidence. The catacomb scene where Indi dips his makeshift torch into the gasoline rich water. Is that what you're taking about?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Info about drip gas can be found inside this museum, but not on their web site:

http://wvmuseums.org/places/united-states/west-virginia/parkersburg/mid-ohio-valley/oil-and-gas-museum/

And at Burning Springs, WV

Drip gas is illegal to use directly. Not much on the web about it.

To be fair, Ohio isn’t exactly Appalachia. 

—Jaylemurph 

14 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

What a coincidence. The catacomb scene where Indi dips his makeshift torch into the gasoline rich water. Is that what you're taking about?

Well no, that scene is quite telling, but we were discussing the Ark of the Covenant. He said there were 10 commandments, I thought there were 15, but that's another subject.

1 hour ago, Awlsew said:

You can find naturally occuring gasoline where there are crude oil/natural gas wells. They exist together in many locations. Common knowledge in the industry.

So how about drip gas when there aren't wells being drilled? How does drip gas form and pool in great quantities when it's from natural oil/gas seepage and not from wells?

I'm finding the info on how it happens with wells and modern oil/natural gas harvesting as a sort of byproduct of the process, but not so much on how it would form in a natural state like pockets in the earth or something, particularly in quantities large enough to be collected and used in some larger scale warfare applications.

Since it's your theory, you must have the science behind how drip gas can be found in large quantities in nature when man isn't working on it.

Or perhaps do you suggest they were drilling for oil/natural gas and refining/distilling/collecting drip gas? If so, there should be some sort of information about them using the oil/natural gas they were drilling for even if the drip gas part was kept secret for the sake of the military.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

So how about drip gas when there aren't wells being drilled? How does drip gas form and pool in great quantities when it's from natural oil/gas seepage and not from wells?

I'm finding the info on how it happens with wells and modern oil/natural gas harvesting as a sort of byproduct of the process, but not so much on how it would form in a natural state like pockets in the earth or something, particularly in quantities large enough to be collected and used in some larger scale warfare applications.

Since it's your theory, you must have the science behind how drip gas can be found in large quantities in nature when man isn't working on it.

Or perhaps do you suggest they were drilling for oil/natural gas and refining/distilling/collecting drip gas? If so, there should be some sort of information about them using the oil/natural gas they were drilling for even if the drip gas part was kept secret for the sake of the military.

In this day and age, pretty much all if not at the locations where drip gas seeped up from the earth naturally have been/ are being drilled currently. 

All the ancient Byzantines would have needed was one source, one location where it seeped up from the ground. With all the rich oil and gas areas in the Crimea, it is very plausible the Byzantines had a location where drip gas could be found. Simply digging up and area where a small quantity was could have easily produced more.

20 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

To be fair, Ohio isn’t exactly Appalachia. 

—Jaylemurph 

Ohio? I missed that reference. I was refering to the region known as Appalachia, not the Appalachia Mountians. I believe Ohio is a part of that though.

https://www.arc.gov/appalachian_region/TheAppalachianRegion.asp

• Like 1

In this day and age, pretty much all if not at the locations where drip gas seeped up from the earth naturally have been/ are being drilled currently. 

All the ancient Byzantines would have needed was one source, one location where it seeped up from the ground. With all the rich oil and gas areas in the Crimea, it is very plausible the Byzantines had a location where drip gas could be found. Simply digging up and area where a small quantity was could have easily produced more.

So then, give us a source. I know the area is rich, but what you got for historical records of these folks actually doing what you suggest. Also please provide the info on how just digging up an area causes a drip gas pool to form.

I'm really trying to hang with your theory here, but you need more meat on your bones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rashore said:

So then, give us a source. I know the area is rich, but what you got for historical records of these folks actually doing what you suggest. Also please provide the info on how just digging up an area causes a drip gas pool to form.

I'm really trying to hang with your theory here, but you need more meat on your bones.

A source for what? That drip gas occurs near gas and oil wells? That's common knowledege.

Incidentally, they are producing very large amounts of liquid natural gas in Ohio/West Virginia/Pennsylvania currently. I believe the same is occuring today in the Crimea as well.

http://www.markwest.com/

I did the land clearing in Butler P.A. But the ones is Buchanan W.V. are pulling just enough so they don't sand up. 

2 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

A source for what? That drip gas occurs near gas and oil wells? That's common knowledege.

A source saying the Greeks or Eastern Romans gathered it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

No. A source where Byzantines/Greeks/Eastern Romans were utilizing oil/natural gas production, or how they were using petroleum products that are not Greek Fire. Sources to what would have been natural fields for harvesting in that era. How they were drilling/collecting/refining/storing petroleum products that are not Greek Fire. Sources on how one just digs up an area to cause a drip gas pool to form, and how collection happens.

Your bone is Greek Fire is drip gas- you missing the meat on how any of that was supposed to happen.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Piney said:

A source saying the Greeks or Eastern Romans gathered it.

It was a secret, the source of Greek Fire. No one today knows exactly what it was. I'm just posting a theory.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rashore said:

No. A source where Byzantines/Greeks/Eastern Romans were utilizing oil/natural gas production, or how they were using petroleum products that are not Greek Fire. Sources to what would have been natural fields for harvesting in that era. How they were drilling/collecting/refining/storing petroleum products that are not Greek Fire. Sources on how one just digs up an area to cause a drip gas pool to form, and how collection happens.

Your bone is Greek Fire is drip gas- you missing the meat on how any of that was supposed to happen.

Byzantines had access to crude. Where there is crude, there may be drip gas.

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

I did the land clearing in Butler P.A. But the ones is Buchanan W.V. are pulling just enough so they don't sand up. 

Sand? I dealt with a lot of sand. So much we began to say to the Arabs: 'we dont want your oil, we want your sand'.

• Like 1