Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

greek fire

silence!

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Kenemet, thank god there’s a straight white dude around to explain things to us. 

I hope he’ll slap us around some if we make him feel insecure. You know, so we keep to our places.

—Jaylemurph 

She asked. I answered. 

3 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Only those who don't know spell it 'frack'. That is how we know about the un-informed in matters of hydraulic fracturing

That's how the spell it here in the States,

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Only those who don't know spell it 'frack'. That is how we know about the un-informed in matters of hydraulic fracturing

Seems like nobody told these people:

http://priceofoil.org/campaigns/extreme-fossil-fuels/no-extreme-fossil-fuels-fracking/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705815020706

https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/energy-and-environment/tools-and-processes/hydraulic-fracturing

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

That's how the spell it here in the States,

Because folks can't make a hard letter 'c' when they see the term. There is no letter 'k' in fracturing. Why would you add a letter 'k' when you shorten the term to 'frac'?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awlsew said:

Byzantines had access to crude. Where there is crude, there may be drip gas.

Where, what historical recording of this? It's one thing for you to say access.. and the like of the general knowledge of byproducts of modern practices.. that's giving you some tendons to you bone.

Give sources. I really am intrigued by the notion drip gas could have been a rawer form for a base in Greek Fire. Not so sure it would be just drip gas.

And if you could be so kind, still do give us how a dug up spot can yield drip gas for collection please.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

No one in the industry uses the letter 'k'. The term 'fracturing' does not contain the letter 'k'.

Why should we believe you when you don’t even know what you yourself posted ten minutes previously?

—Jaylemurph 

5 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

The first two links are not in the industry. As far as the third link, where exactly is the term: 'frack'???

Edited by Awlsew
spelling

1 minute ago, rashore said:

Where, what historical recording of this?

Most modern scholars agree that Greek fire was based on either crude or refined petroleum, comparable to modern napalm. The Byzantines had easy access to crude oil from the naturally occurring wells around the Black Sea (e.g., the wells around Tmutorakan noted by Constantine Porphyrogennetos) or in various locations throughout the Middle East.[44][60][61]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Why should we believe you when you don’t even know what you yourself posted ten minutes previously?

—Jaylemurph 

No need to believe me. The information exists whether I do or not.

4 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

The first two links are not in the industry. As far as the third link, where exactly is the term: 'frack'???

In the big red square at the bottom of the page. It’s pretty hard to miss. 

—Jaylemurph 

5 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Because folks can't make a hard letter 'c' when they see the term. There is no letter 'k' in fracturing. Why would you add a letter 'k' when you shorten the term to 'frac'?

And why isn't the letter 'h' written in the word: 'issue'?? There is clearly an 'sh' sound.

Common English experts, explain that one. 

1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

In the big red square at the bottom of the page. It’s pretty hard to miss. 

—Jaylemurph 

It states: fracturing, not 'fracking'. Hello???

9 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

No one in the industry uses the letter 'k'. The term 'fracturing' does not contain the letter 'k'.

America IS part of that industry. Try again. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-fracking-ban-passes-20170327-story.html

cormac

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Most modern scholars agree that Greek fire was based on either crude or refined petroleum, comparable to modern napalm. The Byzantines had easy access to crude oil from the naturally occurring wells around the Black Sea (e.g., the wells around Tmutorakan noted by Constantine Porphyrogennetos) or in various locations throughout the Middle East.[44][60][61]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

A bit more please. I'm not discounting the multiple wikipedia sources you have sprinkled here in a somewhat repeated fashion. But I'm asking for multiple sources to answer multiple questions across more than LMGTHFY or wiki pat of what you have been supplying so far. Not only general direction, but also how you get from these general aggregates of information to the distinct only possibility of drip gas being sole fuel for Greek Fire.

• Like 2

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

America IS part of that industry. Try again. 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-fracking-ban-passes-20170327-story.html

cormac

The companies that are involved in hydraulic fracturing never use the term 'frack'. Last I checked the Baltimore Sun is in the newspaper business and not involved in fracing.

4 minutes ago, rashore said:

A bit more please. I'm not discounting the multiple wikipedia sources you have sprinkled here in a somewhat repeated fashion. But I'm asking for multiple sources to answer multiple questions across more than LMGTHFY or wiki pat of what you have been supplying so far. Not only general direction, but also how you get from these general aggregates of information to the distinct only possibility of drip gas being sole fuel for Greek Fire.

It is a theory.

1. Greek Fire is mystery.

2. No one today knows the source.

3. Based on descriptions, it could have been drip gas.

4. Drip gas is found where crude oil is.

5. Byzantines had access to areas where crude oil was.

6. Byzantines were the ones who used Greek Fire, not the Greeks.

32 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

And why isn't the letter 'h' written in the word: 'issue'?? There is clearly an 'sh' sound.

Common English experts, explain that one. 

Because the tongue passes through the site of articulation of š naturally going from IPA s to [u:]. It can be avoided in very careful speech and/or some UK dialects.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
Damn HTML markers
  • Like 3

Just now, jaylemurph said:

Because the tongue passes through the site of articulation of š naturally going from to [u:]. It can be avoided in very careful, very formal speech, like many UK dialects. 

—Jaylemurph 

Hey if folks can leave the 'h' out of 'issue', then folks can leave the 'k' out of 'frac' especially when it wasn't there in the first place! 

Just now, Awlsew said:

It is a theory.

1. Greek Fire is mystery.

2. No one today knows the source.

3. Based on descriptions, it could have been drip gas.

4. Drip gas is found where crude oil is.

5. Byzantines had access to areas where crude oil was.

6. Byzantines were the ones who used Greek Fire, not the Greeks.

You have excellent talking points. But sources are lacking. Give us links to historical references, digs, more noted older wells of the area.

For Petes sake, China got bamboo stuck into pits to accidentally harvest pits of natural gas while harvesting brine hundreds of years before all this Greek Fire action and it was documented.

• Like 2

Just now, rashore said:

You have excellent talking points. But sources are lacking. Give us links to historical references, digs, more noted older wells of the area.

For Petes sake, China got bamboo stuck into pits to accidentally harvest pits of natural gas while harvesting brine hundreds of years before all this Greek Fire action and it was documented.

What more is needed for a theory on an alternative history forum? Not like I'm writing a formal thesis or anything.

13 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

The companies that are involved in hydraulic fracturing never use the term 'frack'. Last I checked the Baltimore Sun is in the newspaper business and not involved in fracing.

“Recent innovations in fracking have enabled oil and natural gas producers to unlock vast new energy supplies from ‘tight’ rock sources such as shale. This energy abundance has brought with it new jobs, lower prices for consumers and a manufacturing renaissance.”

Suzanne McCarron

Vice President of Public and Government Affairs at ExxonMobil

https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/energy-and-environment/tools-and-processes/hydraulic-fracturing

cormac

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

You really get off on telling other people they ways things should be but aren’t. 

—Jaylemurph 

Should be?? No. Just theories is all. But when it comes to fracturing, I am stating how things are, as to those in the industry, not those reporting on the industry

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

She is wrong. She spelled it wrong or her editer spelled it wrong. Those who know, know.

https://drillers.com/fracking-vs-fracing-end-debate/

There are a number of topics in oil and gas that always seem to generate a healthy debate, and the fracking vs fracing disagreement is one of them. We’re hoping to settle the debate once and for all.

On industry websites we see other versions as well, frac’ing and fraccing are versions that might have been created to pull an emphasis away from the dreaded K. Lets get the ball rolling with the fact that my Apple Pages writing app has given a red underline to all versions but ‘fracking’…

It seems that the VS situation comes from industry people knowing that it comes from the word ‘fracture’, and ‘the media’ adding the K… Can we find the truth?

• Like 1