Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insight or Evidence

Will Due

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

How much do you think legends and myths invoke insight?

Percentage wise I wouldn't hazard a guess but legends would require more insight than myths, unless one is looking for insight into WHY someone believes said myths. 

cormac

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

Percentage wise I wouldn't hazard a guess but legends would require more insight than myths, unless one is looking for insight into WHY someone believes said myths. 

cormac

Well, maybe that's what a pilgrimage is for.

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well, maybe that's what a pilgrimage is for.

Doubtful as pilgrimages are pretty much performed by those WHO ALREADY believe. Nobody is looking to analyze the "why". 

cormac

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Doubtful as pilgrimages are pretty much performed by those WHO ALREADY believe. Nobody is looking to analyze the "why". 

cormac

Why someone believes? Well if you're interested, for me it started with the gumption of 'why not'.

Legends and myths are external representations of that for which a template already exists, in the mind. There is no tabula rasa

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Will Due said:

How much do you think legends and myths invoke insight?

It depends on what your doing. Thinking the sun is a god or your going to get punished for a harmless action is not a good insight. Looking for a place where your ancestors lived or why they did something is a good one. 

• Like 6

Why someone believes? Well if you're interested, for me it started with the gumption of 'why not'.

Which is fine until someone runs into verifiable evidence that shows "why" something isn't true, but refuses to accept it because their belief somehow trumps reality. It doesn't. 

cormac

• Like 4

Which is fine until someone runs into verifiable evidence that shows "why" something isn't true, but refuses to accept it because their belief somehow trumps reality. It doesn't. 

cormac

There is another side to that coin. Those who insist something cannot be, because there is no evidence available to them. That isn't realism, that is "belief". And those same people decry mere "belief". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

There is another side to that coin. Those who insist something cannot be, because there is no evidence available to them. That isn't realism, that is "belief". And those same people decry mere "belief". 

And yet you've never seen me claim that "a god" cannot exist, but that the Judeo-Christian God doesn't exist, as it is just a merging of two very distinct and 'human" deities with all the commensurate flaws therein entailed. The one thing that I, and science, have said consistently is that a god IS NOT REQUIRED for Creation to have occurred. Which means for me your argument falls on deaf ears. 

cormac

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

What of those who insist something cannot be because of the evidence available to them?  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, joc said:

What of those who insist something cannot be because of the evidence available to them?  

He's fighting for the "all opinions are equal" argument. They aren't and never were. 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

one thing that I, and science, have said consistently is that a god IS NOT REQUIRED for Creation to have occurred.

Not sure why you imagined that comment was focussed on you, but the idea that "science" is involved in making the judgement implied above, is nonsense.

There can be no insight without evidence. Without evidence "insight" is simply being led by base emotions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Insight or Evidence

Like with so many other things, there exists a contradiction in terms between Insight and Evidence.

Evidence often hinders a person's inclination towards spiritual exploration; while Insight excersises a person's nature towards spiritual discovery and growth.

Which of the two is preferable?

Both are preferable.  Balance is everything up in this shindig.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Not sure why you imagined that comment was focussed on you, but the idea that "science" is involved in making the judgement implied above, is nonsense.

Not sure why you'd p*** and moan about it if it wasn't. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

There can be no insight without evidence. Without evidence "insight" is simply being led by base emotions.

Which is a recipe for bad conclusions IMO. 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Not sure why you'd p*** and moan about it if it wasn't. 

cormac

Team Tetchy

8 minutes ago, joc said:

Give me an example joc.

Just now, Habitat said:

Team Tetchy

:sleepy:  SSDD, yeah I get it. Moving on.

cormac

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

Which is a recipe for bad conclusions IMO. 

cormac

But not if the emotion incites insight into what's real.

Then it can be verified, FOR EVERYONE. Otherwise it's personal interpretation/confirmation bias at best. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Give me an example joc.

It's a rhetorical question.  Not taking your bait. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Like with so many other things, there exists a contradiction in terms between Insight and Evidence.

Why are special considerations and factors only applied to spiritual matters? 

Suppose an investigator has evidence that a certain person committed a crime, and also has insight as to WHY they committed the crime. Does one condition (insight) negate the other condition (evidence)?

It always amazes me how theists can create special cases for beliefs, that do not apply to any other situation or condition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

One can have insight into what is real.  But insight doesn't make it real.  It either is or it isn't.  Evidence then is the validation or invalidation of that insight.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, joc said:

It's a rhetorical question.  Not taking your bait. 

Not bait joc, I'm just trying to understand what kind of thing you had in mind.