Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insight or Evidence

Will Due

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Well, in police work both are needed. So you can have both. 

Where are you getting this stuff Will? :hmm:

Exactly, some of the best nurses and doctors rely on insight. 

I think Will gets this stuff from the :P UB. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6

Image result for insight for living

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Bull.

From Webster:

It requires no special ability to see the reason for a thing. Merely an ability to examine a situation and see the causation.
You are making the same basic error that all the tweener's do in regards to empathy: attributing an ability with 'supernormal' powers.

I didn't choose the word 'insight'. I was just co-operating with the terminology of the OP. I had to make my own interpretation of what we are to talk about. Any challenges to what I said and how I chose to interpret 'insight'?

What is your understanding of what we are supposed to be addressing in regards to the OP then?

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Any challenges to what I said and how I chose to interpret 'insight'?

Yes, because you are assigning your own meaning to commonplace, and commonly understood words, which makes discussion impossible.

I had to make my own interpretation of what we are to talk about.

^^^ This is why so many discussions fail, both here and in RL, because people make up their own interpretations of what is being said.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

people make up their own interpretations of what is being said.

Including you?

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Including you?

Not when I use words commonly understood definitions, instead of randomly assigning meaning to them to fit a narrative..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

the team

:o

6 hours ago, joc said:

Team

:unsure2:

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Not when I use words commonly understood definitions, instead of randomly assigning meaning to them to fit a narrative..

What about attempting to understand what a person is trying to say that goes beyond commonly understood definitions of words?

Like with the word gender for example.

Edited by Will Due

Insight is very similar in meaning to 'understanding'. Nothing more complicated than that.

• Like 1

I suppose you could qualify it as accurate understanding. True insight.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What about attempting to understand what a person is trying to say that goes beyond commonly understood definitions of words?

Like with the word gender for example.

Language is how we communicate.  Why we have a dictionary. So we all are on the same playing field of understanding that language.  

Keep in mind...you aren't...none of us are ....  s a y i n g ....anything...we are typing.  Therefore, no one can tell another's inflection of words or gestures associated with words.   

Words mean things.  It isn't anyone's job really to try to guess your meaning of a commonly used word.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Habitat said:

the team,

7 hours ago, Habitat said:

the team

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

You seem to be obsessed with the team.

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

the team.

no one mentions it more than you. And it distracts from actual discussion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Piney said:

Wrong.

Evidence doesn't hinder anything. It eliminates the B.S and insight points you towards evidence. 

So far a "team" of eight bits; 3 bits of like and five bits of thanks. And the only one who does not BS around here is the captain, 8 bits.

And the bits are loosened and we are off to another race!

17 minutes ago, joc said:

It isn't anyone's job really to try to guess your meaning of a commonly used word.

Why does the word gender come to mind? Until recently everyone had no problem understanding its definition. 

Did that happen because it's everyone's job to try to guess or understand someone's unconventional meaning of a commonly used word.

New person, new meaning, new job?

Fast race!

I wanted all to know that I had not ready past Piney's first post on this, and sure enough, I predicted the team bit! A little proof of my prophetic powers?

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

no one mentions it more than you. And it distracts from actual discussion.

Piney seems to be fascinated by it.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Why does the word gender come to mind? Until recently everyone had no problem understanding its definition. 

Did that happen because it's everyone's job to try to guess or understand someone's unconventional meaning of a commonly used word.

New person, new meaning, new job?

Word meanings are only what people commonly understand them to mean, not something set in stone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Will Due said:

Insight or Evidence

Like with so many other things, there exists a contradiction in terms between Insight and Evidence.

Evidence often hinders a person's inclination towards spiritual exploration; while Insight excersises a person's nature towards spiritual discovery and growth.

Which of the two is preferable?

Like many things, a little bit of both are needed, and therefore preferable as a team of two, insight and evidence. But I would really like to see a team of four, by adding foresight and hindsight, to get to where you are going with this, Will.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Like many things, a little bit of both are needed, and therefore preferable as a team of two, insight and evidence. But I would really like to see a team of four, by adding foresight and hindsight, to get to where you are going with this, Will.

Now we're getting somewhere alright.

Edited by Will Due

9 hours ago, Will Due said:

I guess you're right but before there was evidence Troy was very much considered a myth. Just like Atlantis still is today.

I will not accept the finding as Homeric Troy until they find the Trojan horse. In that part of the world anywhere one digs is bound to find some old stuff and old towns. If Troy had such a massive and high wall that the Achaeans could not overcome in 10 years, and had to resort to silly "trickery" to get in, where is this great wall that encircled the great and poetic city of Troy? 

The pyramids are still there, and all were built before Homer was born blind. But for Troy, It was all a silly ploy in the name of tourism and money making from the tourists that would take it all in.

But I approve of keeping Atlantis in conversation until found, dead or alive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Also true, but Schliemann gets the credit for what WASN'T actually his originally. Calvert got robbed academically IMO. 

cormac

How about giving some credit to Alexander the Great, since he visited the spot before those two!

• Like 1