Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insight or Evidence

Will Due

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

Then let's try harder.

What do you want to talk about?

The Lord knows?

On 8/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, Pettytalk said:

How about giving some credit to Alexander the Great, since he visited the spot before those two!

I think I already said that. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think I already said that. :rolleyes:

Pity the TinTin comics didn't... 

~

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Yes.

Brobdingnagian

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Sooooo.....I really don't care to ever hitch my boat to someone who is only spouting away because he feels he has "insight".....so count me squarely in the camp of good old fashioned "evidence". 

That makes perfect sense.

Your insight isn't my insight and vice versa. 

So based on the evidence of the insight you personally experience, what about hitching your boat to yourself? 

Edited by Will Due

7 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Actually, I do, I do - and I plan on keeping it that way Will. :tsu:

:tu:

On 8/28/2019 at 12:45 PM, papageorge1 said:

So Jodie, can you tell me in understandable words what you think I WAS supposed to be discussing in regards to the OP's question? What is this discussion supposed to be about?

Not this:

Insight comes from gifted individuals that perceive and receive information through the theoretical super-physical senses. 

Insight, as the very word suggests, comes from within oneself. Insight is NOT a power reserved for special people with supranormal abilities.  Ever have something you don't quite grasped explained to you, in such a way that suddenly, the proverbial lightbulb goes off and you say "I got it!"? Or basically, had a "Duh!" moment, when someone pointed out something basic that you had overlooked?

"Gee, my car won't start and I've no idea why."

"Is there any gas in the tank?"

"Durrrrrr! Dammit!"

Your statement above, would indicate that YOU believe that insight can ONLY be achieved by 'special' people.

The OP's question makes it seem that 'evidence' and 'insight' are both mutually exclusive, AND antagonistic. As if, if one has "insight" then "evidence" is not required. And vice versa. And further, "evidence" invalidates "insight" (which can be true in some instances) and that "insight" invalidates "evidence" (which is rarely the case). Your initial response to this thread, fell right in line with the OP's premise, so no, you weren't wrong, per se. However, since the initial premise is flawed, then so is your response.

Example: Which is the more easily tamed & housebroken:  purple dragons, or chartreuse pixies?

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Not this:

Insight, as the very word suggests, comes from within oneself. Insight is NOT a power reserved for special people with supranormal abilities.  Ever have something you don't quite grasped explained to you, in such a way that suddenly, the proverbial lightbulb goes off and you say "I got it!"? Or basically, had a "Duh!" moment, when someone pointed out something basic that you had overlooked?

"Gee, my car won't start and I've no idea why."

"Is there any gas in the tank?"

"Durrrrrr! Dammit!"

Your statement above, would indicate that YOU believe that insight can ONLY be achieved by 'special' people.

The OP's question makes it seem that 'evidence' and 'insight' are both mutually exclusive, AND antagonistic. As if, if one has "insight" then "evidence" is not required. And vice versa. And further, "evidence" invalidates "insight" (which can be true in some instances) and that "insight" invalidates "evidence" (which is rarely the case). Your initial response to this thread, fell right in line with the OP's premise, so no, you weren't wrong, per se. However, since the initial premise is flawed, then so is your response.

Example: Which is the more easily tamed & housebroken:  purple dragons, or chartreuse pixies?

What a nonsensical question. Everyone knows what be-itch chartreuse pixies are.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh no you din't!

Some of my best friends are chartreuse pixies!

OK, maybe not my "best' friends, but I know some of them.  :devil:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Only if you give them mountain dew, doritos, and video games. Then they become basement dwelling pixies.

• Haha 2

On 8/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, Liquid Gardens said:

"It doesn't work that way". 

Like the sham "faith healers", why aren't they going to children's cancer wards with their "gift"?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

The difference between you and me is that, I leave it as "things I cannot explain", while you state "I cannot explain this, therefore _

So many lies in so few words. 

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Only if you give them mountain dew, doritos, and video games. Then they become basement dwelling pixies.

Schwing! Party on, Garth.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

We'll be waiting for the inevitable. 

We ? What "inevitable" ? 

1fd442519d6dbd744ca343a77db5415f.png

• Like 2

I'm just here for all the shiny, happy peoples.

Edited by Hammerclaw

Thread cleaned

Enough with the derogatory personal observations please.

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I can’t tell you how many times I have been stumped by a math problem, left it alone for a bit and then shortly out of thin air a solution pops in. 

This is insight.

https://insightassessment.com/FAQ/FAQs-What-is-Critical-Thinking/What-is-Critical-Thinking

This is how to nurture insight.

My youngest son was coached when he took Computer Science that the idea of all the math courses is to nurture the creative intuition and problem solving that comes as a derivative of studying the subject, it is not about doing the math problem, it is the ability to go beyond the rote see that there isn’t just one way to solve a problem, but many.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1