Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Government to ask Queen to suspend Parliament

ExpandMyMind

The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's plans - on 14 October.

But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

Tory backbencher and Remain campaigner Dominic Grieve called it "an outrageous act", and warned it could lead to a vote of no confidence in Mr Johnson, adding: "This government will come down."

But a No 10 source defended the move, saying: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

an unelected Prime Minister cannot be allowed to violate the law of the land to implement anything, let alone something that the people have not had a vote on (No Deal Brexit was explicitly not on the referendum in 2016). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow responds to the PM's statement: “I have had no contact from the government, but if the reports that it is seeking to prorogue Parliament are confirmed, this move represents a constitutional outrage.

“However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of prorogation now would be to stop Parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country," he says.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

an unelected Prime Minister cannot be allowed to violate the law of the land to implement anything, let alone something that the people have not had a vote on (No Deal Brexit was explicitly not on the referendum in 2016). 

We had an in or out vote, the majority voted out, stop trying to subvert our Democracy.

Its about time all this was brought to a head. Its time for Leave or a General Election. A GE might turn out to be the better of the two options because there are a lot of MPs in Parliament right now who are going to be cleaned out.

But I suspect Queenie is a Queen of the majority so it wont get that far.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 5

Parliament have been debating Brexit for years.  They don't require any more time to waste time.  The public are fed up with them stalling Brexit.  As the Doctor said to the patient - "This medicine might look, smell, and taste bad, but it's the best thing for you.  So take it and stop your belly aching".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

What needs pointing out is parliament was going to already be suspended because of the party conference season. All this means is parliament cannot be recalled. Also, the Queens speech was needed before Boris can call an election.

The EU no face the reality that their supporters in parliament have run out of time.

Brexit as been debated for 3 years. This move by Boris means parliament is suspended for 3 days. extra days.

It looks like finally we are leaving and if the EU didnt believe us they believe us now.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Parliament have been debating Brexit for years.  They don't require any more time to waste time.  The public are fed up with them stalling Brexit.  As the Doctor said to the patient - "This medicine might look, smell, and taste bad, but it's the best thing for you.  So take it and stop your belly aching".

There comes a time when debate has to stop and action needs to be taken.

That time has now come because too many MPs have shown over the last 3 years that all they will do is continue to frustrate the Democratic Will of the British People. The Queen needs to say enough of this nonsense, to take us out of the EU, and to suspend all MPs who try to block it.

My shares have been about 30% lower (in terms of value) over the last three years because of all this protracted nonsense. Lets get out, I want to treat myself to a lavish Christmas holiday.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Brexit as been debated for 3 years. This move by Boris means parliament is suspended for 3 days. extra days.

It looks like finally we are leaving and if the EU didnt believe us they believe us now.

19 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

There comes a time when debate has to stop and action needs to be taken.

And you have the nerve to call anyone who disagrees with you 'democracy deniers'. 

Traitors dressed up as patriots. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Remainers had few options before this new development and they now have even less.

Yesterdays announcement from Corbyn that they could not agree on a unity government format shows there is little chance of an organised response to the Queens speech decision.  

John Bercow's comments today just prove he cannot be impartial on the brexit issue and should be removed. 

It will be interesting to see the response from the Brussels bunker.  ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

We were told in no uncertain terms if you vote leave it means leaving the customs union and single market, the then prime minister said this from outside number 10 adding 'there will be no going back' there was also a pamphlet delivered to every house telling us the same thing not a mention of a deal.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

And you have the nerve to call anyone who disagrees with you 'democracy deniers'. 

Dont project onto me what you are up too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

We were told in no uncertain terms if you vote leave it means leaving the customs union and single market, the then prime minister said this from outside number 10 adding 'there will be no going back' there was also a pamphlet delivered to every house telling us the same thing not a mention of a deal.

Sure, and how naïve were we?

When the results from the Brexit referendum came through I thought that was it. That we would exit straight away. Where did all this nonsense come from about needing a customs union, an Irish backstop, and all the rest of it?

This mission creep has occurred because Mrs May sought validation from Parliament instead of honouring the will of the people. Its not Parliament that voted for Brexit, it was the public. I hope the history books trash her for that. She was..... WEAK.

Boris needs to get on and do what the people voted for. If that means we have to remove Parliament from the process then so be it. If MPs will not respect the Democratic Will of the British people then Parliament should be prorogued. In fact, those MPs need sacking. This is a Democracy not a Banana Republic.

And to top it all off why would we pay £39 billion for a deal anyway? They export more to us than we do to them. They should be paying us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Stuff and nonsense. The original refferendum stated "shall we leave the European Union". That means leaving the binding institutions of the European Union, and THAT means a so-called "Hard Brexit/No-deal Brexit". (or as I call it, a "true" Brexit". 

As for the "unelected" bit, that is a completely bogus distinction under the British constitution. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

It has been 3 years, 6 months, and 8 days since David Cameron announced the referendum, and politicians want more time to debate?  :lol:

20th Feb 2016 - David Cameron - "You (the people) will decide, and whatever your decision, I will do my best to deliver it."

23rd June 2016 - Leave wins.  David Cameron breaks his own pledge and announces his resignation.  So much for - "I will do my best to deliver it."

3rd Feb 2019 - Theresa May - “I’m determined to deliver Brexit, and determined to deliver it on time on March 29, 2019."

7th June 2019 - Theresa May resigns

Just leave already and look on the bright side.  We saw the roaring twenties.  Get ready for the roaring 2020's.  The decade that put Great Britain back on the map.

Here, here!

• Like 2

- Jeremy Corbyn has written to the Queen, expressing concern about Boris Johnson’s announcement that he’s proroguing parliament, and requesting a meeting with her,” Guardian political editor Heather Stewart wrote on Twitter.

The Queens assessment of her constitutional position should be interesting, I suspect Corbyn will not like it. ;)  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

- Jeremy Corbyn has written to the Queen, expressing concern about Boris Johnson’s announcement that he’s proroguing parliament, and requesting a meeting with her,” Guardian political editor Heather Stewart wrote on Twitter.

The Queens assessment of her constitutional position should be interesting, I suspect Corbyn will not like it. ;)  

Sorry Mr Corbyn, you arent the majority, go back to your grotto.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Sorry Mr Corbyn, you arent the majority, go back to your grotto.

Corbyn's demand to the Queen is an example of his weak position, this move is to show he is doing something when he already knows what options the Queen has. She has to agree to her prime ministers request.

To suggest she has an option is disrespectful and is dragging the Queen into his own political problem, something that remainers had said previously they would not do. It will cause more negative feeling towards Corbyn/Labour, from the general public, than it will provide Corbyn a political benefit. 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Setton said:

Its all within the rules of parliament.

I remember when you was punch drunk when parliamentary procedure was being used in favour of blocking Brexit.

I did warn you one day the boot would be on the other foot. It seems that day as arrived.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Corbyn's demand to the Queen is an example of his weak position, this move is to show he is doing something when he already knows what options the Queen has. She has to agree to her prime ministers request.

To suggest she has an option is disrespectful and is dragging the Queen into his own political problem, something that remainers had said previously they would not do. It will cause more negative feeling towards Corbyn/Labour, from the general public, than it will provide Corbyn a political benefit. 

There is a Vote of No Confidence coming which Boris is going to lose.

I dont think the Tory Party will sack him, they will go for the General Election instead.

11 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

There is a Vote of No Confidence coming which Boris is going to lose.

I dont think the Tory Party will sack him, they will go for the General Election instead.

He might lose a vote but I don't think it is certain. An election called for early November will worry Corbyn more than Boris, as long as the UK has left the EU one way or the other by then.

Edited by L.A.T.1961

2 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

He might lose a vote but I don't think it is certain. An election called for early November will worry Corbyn more than Boris, as long as the UK has left the EU one way or the other by then.

I think Boris is trying to force the EUs hands.

We will know by the end of the next two weeks if the EU is going to give us a deal or not. If it does there wont be a vote of no confidence. If it doesnt then I think Boris is already preparing for a General Election.

I predict the next PM will be Corbyn. It wont be an ordinary Vote of No Confidence but one where Parliament will make him caretaker PM to block Brexit while the General Election occurs. I then expect a Tory and Brexit Party coalition to be running the country.

• Like 1

Queen Elizabeth has approved Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s plan to suspend parliament -

“It is this day ordered by Her Majesty in Council that the Parliament be prorogued on a day no earlier than Monday the 9th day of September and no later than Thursday the 12th day of September 2019 to Monday the 14th day of October 2019,”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-queen/queen-approves-british-parliament-suspension-idUKKCN1VI1PK?rpc=401&

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I think Boris is trying to force the EUs hands.

We will know by the end of the next two weeks if the EU is going to give us a deal or not. If it does there wont be a vote of no confidence. If it doesnt then I think Boris is already preparing for a General Election.

I predict the next PM will be Corbyn. It wont be an ordinary Vote of No Confidence but one where Parliament will make him caretaker PM to block Brexit while the General Election occurs. I then expect a Tory and Brexit Party coalition to be running the country.

its coming up to party conference season, im sure the Tory conference will be used by Boris as platform for the coming a GE.

Boris is playing a blinder. Having parliamentarian Jacob Rees Mogg as his leader of the house whose well versed in parliamentary procedure advising Boris as all the remoaners up in arms. 

Parliament voted for the referendum, parliament voted to trigger article 50 setting date to leave the EU and by doing so accepting the referendum result. they've had 3 years to debate it and failed to implement it. The minority of remoaners throughout that 3 years like a enemy of the state have been doing the EUs work for them. well their work is done  its over. they should report back to their EU masters that they have failed in their mission. all those off the record meeting they had with the commission behind closed doors with no minutes taken assuring the EU not to offer us a deal, punish us and they will overturn the referendum result as come to nil.

Reality kicking in. the UK will leave the EU on 31st October with or with no deal with the EU the UK will transition to trading with the EU on WTO terms LIKE WE do with the USA, China, Australia, and the other 130 odd countries around the world.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Queen Elizabeth has approved Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s plan to suspend parliament -

“It is this day ordered by Her Majesty in Council that the Parliament be prorogued on a day no earlier than Monday the 9th day of September and no later than Thursday the 12th day of September 2019 to Monday the 14th day of October 2019,”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-queen/queen-approves-british-parliament-suspension-idUKKCN1VI1PK?rpc=401&

excellent.

• Like 2