Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Government to ask Queen to suspend Parliament

ExpandMyMind

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I believe I've got access to Star Trek on Netflix... I must try and look that episode up. Thanks @Sir Smoke aLot.

I believe the episode is titled Bread and Circuses 

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

They've had years.  Why do you suppose there is not already a deal?  Is it just fine points or is it a refusal of either side to negotiate?

Doesn't matter what I think. Parliament is sovereign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Have to leave?

You make it sound like its against what the majority want. We want to leave. We want to run away from the EU as fast as humanly possible and start the British Empire Mach 2.

Perhaps a more correct statement would be `the PM is trying to stitch up Parliament so the majority of the UK public get what they voted for`. 

No one voted to leave without a deal and you know it. 

And you've just been beaten, again, through the proper democratic process. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There's going to have to be another referendum. At this point, it's a necessity. It makes sense anyways. People, since the last one, have become far more informed on the subject and the poll numbers are reflecting this.

Members here talk about democracy - absolute democracy, actually, which is an important distinction - but if they really believe in the will of the people then they'd surely have no problem with them voting again now that the have more information on which to base their decision.

Absolute democracy with an uninformed electorate is the path to ruin.

'I believe you are confusing opinion with truth'. And that describes Brexit perfectly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

Doesn't matter what I think. Parliament is sovereign. 

So it doesn't matter why the people you elected apparently aren't doing their job?  Parliament is sovereign is your reason for not caring?  Bit of a cop out Setton.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

No one voted to leave without a deal

Want to bet?  I'll bet the majority of brexiters want out with or without a deal.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

There's going to have to be another referendum. At this point, it's a necessity. It makes sense anyways. People, since the last one, have become far more informed on the subject and the poll numbers are reflecting this.

Members here talk about democracy - absolute democracy, actually, which is an important distinction - but if they really believe in the will of the people then they'd surely have no problem with them voting again now that the have more information on which to base their decision.

Absolute democracy with an uninformed electorate is the path to ruin.

'I believe you are confusing opinion with truth'. And that describes Brexit perfectly.

So the remainers just bellyached and blocked every effort to negotiate a deal and now you think it's time for a new referendum?  So what if Brexit wins again?  Just block every effort until another referendum can happen and simply repeat this formula until finally the vote is to stay?  Seems ridiculous.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

No no I’m sure he’s writing for the express and possibly Daily Mail. Egging on all little Englanders to commit economic hari kiri.

You delude yourself, the rest of the world including Australia trade with each other quite comfortably and Last time I looked they weren't in the EU.

Maybe you should read up on Economics.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

It looks like we're on for an election, the quislings voted to stop a no deal and Boris said he's tabling an Election, i say bring it on.  

Good bring it on even Blair is predicting Corbyn to lose.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Want to bet?  I'll bet the majority of brexiters want out with or without a deal.

I'll bet the majority want all the brown people to go "home" , and think deal or no deal is a gameshow.  Also some nonsense about 3-pin plugs, manual grape crushing, vacuum cleaner power restrictions, chips wrapped in newspaper and being allowed to sell faulty electrical goods...(I seriously wish I was kidding; some of you Quitters may have a had a clear idea of what you wanted, especially after a toff told you how good it would be for you, but a lot of the guys you got onside to vote with you are barely smart enough to get dressed without hurting themselves.) 

Anyway, Quick Question;  Prorogation; After its happened, is anyone beholden to Brexit?  As I understand it the Parliamentary Session ends, anything unfinished is binned, with a  "Soz Boss, we've run outta time, innit?" . So all Mandates for Anything or Nothing are out the Window.   Yes/no?

Edited by Torchwood

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So the remainers just bellyached and blocked every effort to negotiate a deal and now you think it's time for a new referendum?

That there was no deal was down to naïve planning. Corporations spend years working out deals and merging, and Leavers expected that a suitable exit strategy for one of the most complex treaty agreements in history could be properly negotiated in fits and starts over a few years? Idiocy. That had nothing to do with 'bellyaching' or 'Blocking'.

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So what if Brexit wins again?

Then, like the last time, I'll support it, because people will now know far more about their decision and will basically be voting for a hard Brexit, not just to leave. I mean, they'll be idiots, but I'll accept their stupidity graciously. Well, maybe I'll mock them a bit, so not so gracious. 

It won't matter much to me if they leave, because if this goes through then it's highly likely that Scotland will leave the UK.

15 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

I'll bet the majority want all the brown people to go "home"

Wow.  Someone sounds bitter.  I'll bet most wish they could take the vote away from women as well, right?  *eye roll*   No need to even read further into your post than that.  If you become rational later perhaps.

Edited by OverSword

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Annex, annex, annex!

I must go watch some Darlek clips now:

Simple question from a simple brain, not as highly advanced as the Daleks or their fans.

What benefits are there to be had, financial and prosperity, or something else?

Still wish ALL good luck however it turns out.

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That there was no deal was down to naïve planning. Corporations spend years working out deals and merging, and Leavers expected that a suitable exit strategy for one of the most complex treaty agreements in history could be properly negotiated in fits and starts over a few years? Idiocy. That had nothing to do with 'bellyaching' or 'Blocking'.

And you need a deal, why?  Must England trade as a block or can not industries buy and sell?  Isn't it companies, producers and supply and demand that determines equitable compensation?  You're making it more complicated than it need be.

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And you need a deal, why?  Must England trade as a block or can not industries buy and sell?  Isn't it companies, producers and supply and demand that determines equitable compensation?  You're making it more complicated than it need be.

Are not tariffs alive and well again?  Can companies buy and sell without adhering to import export laws?  Governments can put their foot in the middle of supply and demand too.

Will English companies become more competitive, or is the belief that they are more regulated than their EU counterparts?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because our systems are completely integrated. Leaving will be devastating to our scientific community, not to mention the disastrous effects on our health system

Those are only two areas. It affects almost every aspect of our industry and economy. It's not going to be a case of 'oh we'll leave and just find new deals'. It'll be worse than a recession when trying to find wonderfully magical new deals and we'll be shafted right-left-and-centre by every country who can because they'll know how desperate we are, se we'll actually come out the other end worse off. All these conservatives who think Britain is strong and a force in the world will see just how little influence we have as a result. 

And when it comes down to it, this is all in the name of xenophobia. Sure, some people weren't voting Brexit because they're ethnocentric lunatics, but enough such people (and I suspect a hugely significant amount and most conservatives on this forum) voted, swinging the referendum. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So it doesn't matter why the people you elected apparently aren't doing their job?  Parliament is sovereign is your reason for not caring?  Bit of a cop out Setton.  

They are doing their job. This is their job.

Their job is not to fulfil the delusional promises of a failed government. It is to hold the government to account and represent the interests of their constituents. 

43 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Sure. Because it wasn't on the ballot paper. Specifically, leave voters voted based on the official leave campaign. Which promised a deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No deal Brexiteers are the type of people who watched V for Vendetta and though that it looked like a delightful dystopian future.

16 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Because our systems are completely integrated. Leaving will be devastating to our scientific community, not to mention the disastrous effects on our health system

Those are only two areas. It affects almost every aspect of our industry and economy. It's not going to be a case of 'oh we'll leave and just find new deals'. It'll be worse than a recession when trying to find wonderfully magical new deals and we'll be shafted right-left-and-centre by every country who can because they'll know how desperate we are, se we'll actually come out the other end worse off. All these conservatives who think Britain is strong and a force in the world will see just how little influence we have as a result. 

And when it comes down to it, this is all in the name of xenophobia. Sure, some people weren't voting Brexit because they're ethnocentric lunatics, but enough such people (and I suspect a hugely significant amount and most conservatives on this forum) voted, swinging the referendum. 

Damn.  Too bad your parliament did exactly jack and $h!+ for 3 years, isn't it? 

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Wow.  Someone sounds bitter.  I'll bet most wish they could take the vote away from women as well, right?  *eye roll*   No need to even read further into your post than that.  If you become rational later perhaps.

sorry, did I strike a nerve?

24 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

No deal Brexiteers are the type of people who watched V for Vendetta and though that it looked like a delightful dystopian future.

Remoaners are cuckolds, masochists who scared to leave the teat, you've been fooled by big business to keep a ready supply of cheap worker drones for their EU masters, Stockholm syndrome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It'll be worse than a recession when trying to find wonderfully magical new deals and we'll be shafted right-left-and-centre by every country who can because they'll know how desperate we are, se we'll actually come out the other end worse off.

You may be right about that.  President Trump thinks Boris is all that and a bag of chips as we say, and he will be very happy to do a deal.  But you may also be right that we smell the sweat of fear.  His primary policy is America First.  You will need to start buying more of our farm products, including the GMO ones and the chlorine washed chicken if you want a deal.  With the Chinese buying elsewhere, we have a lot of soybeans corn and pork to unload as well.  Probably American cheese too.  Better get used to Velveeta.

I am not sure if we will want to buy anything from you though, you know how much we like a positive trade balance.  Steel would have to be awful cheap to overcome the tariff. Maybe a small quantity of Stilton for the elites and some shortbread cookies for the nostalgic, and a few nice wool sweaters from Shetland and Orkney.   Oh wait, will they be staying in the EU?  Never mind.

• Like 2