Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Government to ask Queen to suspend Parliament

ExpandMyMind

20 minutes ago, bee said:

I think you're right... they won't want to let Boris have any success...like they wouldn't let Theresa May ..

you would have thought that the May / EU withdrawal agreement would have been to their liking if it kept
the UK tied to the EU single market and customs union maybe indefinitely... but staying fully in the EU
is what they really want.... although their shenanigans around the WA and backstop was to the Leave
Camp's benefit because it stopped us going down that road... the Half In ~ Half Out road... no wonder the
EU wanted that WA... they would keep the UK economically captive but get rid of all the UK MEPs...who
are a thorn in their side especially now there are all the Brexit Party MEPs..

Remain MPs have done a pincer movement on Brexit..... blocking No Deal and blocking a deal.... leaving a 2nd
referendum the only way forward (if they continue to have their way... but a GE could put a stop to that)  

I totally agree with your logic, although different logic could produce a different outcome.

The opposition parties do actually want an election, Corbyn really believes he can pull around a massive gain on the Tories like he did last time. Foolish imo but there you go.

Boris now leads a minority government - even if the purged Tories returned to the fold it'd still be a minority - so needs an election. Queens Speech likely to fall.

Bring forward a NI only Deal - which some in the ERG seem to contemplate is now acceptable. A significant block of Labour MPs would support as Brexit delivered but no deal stopped. And we all know the tories at this stage don't really care what happens to NI or Scotland.

Labour could then enter an election promising close alignment through a trade deal the Dems would be forced to follow suit.

a softish Brexit by Oct 31 and election in November - when students have been registered is a ploy Labour would go for. Especially Corbyn who be happy to be out of Europe and will claim he can nationalise everything and anything in response. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bee said:

I think you're right... they won't want to let Boris have any success...like they wouldn't let Theresa May ..

I don't have any idea what sort of temperament Boris has, but Theresa May seemed rather tough.  How is Boris in comparison?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I totally agree with your logic, although different logic could produce a different outcome.

The opposition parties do actually want an election, Corbyn really believes he can pull around a massive gain on the Tories like he did last time. Foolish imo but there you go.

Boris now leads a minority government - even if the purged Tories returned to the fold it'd still be a minority - so needs an election. Queens Speech likely to fall.

Bring forward a NI only Deal - which some in the ERG seem to contemplate is now acceptable. A significant block of Labour MPs would support as Brexit delivered but no deal stopped. And we all know the tories at this stage don't really care what happens to NI or Scotland.

Labour could then enter an election promising close alignment through a trade deal the Dems would be forced to follow suit.

a softish Brexit by Oct 31 and election in November - when students have been registered is a ploy Labour would go for. Especially Corbyn who be happy to be out of Europe and will claim he can nationalise everything and anything in response. 

gawd knows how it's all going to play out in the next couple of months...

but I don't think a Soft Brexit would be popular with the majority of the electorate on either the Leave
or Remain side... logically it is the compromise that IN THEORY could bring this thing to a close (for now)
but Remain want to Remain and Leave want to Leave... 

and being half in and half out is probably the worse outcome of all....

I take your points about the NI only backstop - but we still have the situation that opposition parties will
not want to let Boris and the conservatives off the hook and have any kind of glory re Brexit... 

:wacko:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Things are never going to be the same again, Labour came in behind the conservatives by just a million votes last time but they did it by promising their northern vote leave strongholds they'd implement Brexit, we feel betrayed, traditional party lines have been torn down, the disgust we have for parliament is turning into real anger, no one trusts them.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I don't have any idea what sort of temperament Boris has, but Theresa May seemed rather tough.  How is Boris in comparison?

He's a different kind of character but we'll see how tough he is in the next few weeks... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Stop it stevewinn. It’s Boris’s second attempt to pass an election and he failed. He failed yet again!

They are the facts. yes he failed to get the GE: Won the vote, but didn't get the majority needed for it to count. Where you surprised by any of it, i wasn't i said yesterday the majority would abstain and they did.

The shambolic scenes in Parliament last night, some MP's holding placards in the chamber, in the HoC, disgusting, some MP's having a sit in, some trying to stop Bercow leading the house to the Lords.

Shameful. these MP's feel no sense of tradition, or honour in the position they hold. they are the HoC equivalent of Social Media.

the nation shakes its head in disgust, but they think they looked cool, 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Labour came in behind the conservatives by just a million votes last time but they did it by promising their northern vote leave strongholds they'd implement Brexit, we feel betrayed, traditional party lines have been torn down, the disgust we have for parliament is turning into real anger, no one trusts them.  

yes I accept that, but there is disgust and distrust on both sides. Tory traditionalists could quite possibly abandon their party especially if it goes all out for a 'no deal' or if the immediate ramifications of a 31 Oct Brexit are chaos.  Popular independent Tories could stand against party candidates allowing Lib Dems or others in, The Tories could be wiped out again in Scotland. The possibilities go on.

In other words when the election comes we have no way of determining outcome at this stage. Corbyn may well be hoping for a 'no deal' Brexit and betting on a November election taking place in a background of chaos which would not suit the Tories nor Brexit party.

11 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Boris being arrested and dragged out of downing Street would be a sight to see and be seen as not Boris being dragged out by force but Democracy. 

Exactly! Dragged out by democracy, not force. 

Good to see you finally catching on! 

11 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Opposition bottles it again. Boris wins the vote but fails to get a majority needed. 

I love the way the remainers are standing up and saying we need a new parliament, A NEW politics but fail to hold GE; they are deluded in the extreme. 

Roll on the 31st October. And Boris confirms tonight he won't ask for an extention. Boris being arrested and dragged out of downing Street would be a sight to see and be seen as not Boris being dragged out by force but Democracy. Boris the Martyr. Who'd have thought it. 

Goodnight. 

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

Exactly! Dragged out by democracy, not force. 

Good to see you finally catching on! 

trust you to try and twist what i said. quoted fully above.

@Br Cornelius nice to see you looking in.

• Like 1

You couldnt make it up, Theresa May to honour Olly Robbins with a knighthood. before he starts his new job working for Goldman Sachs. (Nice to see Remaoners supporting such people) (your either with the people or against them)

https://twitter.com/TiceRichard/status/1171346209048551429

• Like 2

oh, and Goldman sachs was a donor to the Remain campaign.

Nice to also see the EU looking to reward one of their agents in the field.

Nick Clegg told us it was a dangerous fantasy. It seems the Remainers dont even understand their own institution.

and if we sign up to the WA then....

and i'd like to know the answer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

trust you to try and twist what i said. quoted fully above.

@Br Cornelius nice to see you looking in.

Tut tut. Not my fault if you can't express yourself clearly. 

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

You couldnt make it up, Theresa May to honour Olly Robbins with a knighthood. before he starts his new job working for Goldman Sachs. (Nice to see Remaoners supporting such people) (your either with the people or against them)

https://twitter.com/TiceRichard/status/1171346209048551429

Second worse Prime Minister. Boris has eclipsed Theresa May.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevewinn said:

I'm home from work what have I missed? Bbc is showing parliament live. The debate for a GE. Its boring it's the same thing they've been saying for the last 3 years. It's clear the remainer MPs are not interested in a deal. They want to stop brexit by any means and any cost. 

My god what a shower.  

When I turned on the news yesterday to read the story about the meteor I thought all my chanting had worked.

Sadly it missed Corbyn. Still, there is still a chance of declaring a national emergency. All we need is for the remainers to start violent demonstrations lol.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Nick Clegg told us it was a dangerous fantasy. It seems the Remainers dont even understand their own institution.

and if we sign up to the WA then....

and i'd like to know the answer.

I'm not sure who sounds the most nutty there, Darren of Plymouth or Lord James of Blackheath 

30 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

I'm not sure who sounds the most nutty there, Darren of Plymouth or Lord James of Blackheath 

I'd say Guy Verhofstadt, Merkel and Macron. - talk about missing the elephant in the room.

Its now clear the EU is pushing forward towards a EU army. and what the consequences for the UK are if we sign Theresa Mays Withdrawal Agreement. if like i you've read the Agreement, from the notes you took you'll be familiar that Under Clause 104, Article 184. The UK will be locked into the EU's Defence policy and institutions. policies that will be run in the sole interest of the EU, not the UK. the UK would be answerable to the EU courts, and EU laws will still supersede ours, this raises all sorts of important questions. but hey, you fiddle with the irrelevant and worry about Darren from Plymouth.

50 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I'd say Guy Verhofstadt, Merkel and Macron. - talk about missing the elephant in the room.

Its now clear the EU is pushing forward towards a EU army. and what the consequences for the UK are if we sign Theresa Mays Withdrawal Agreement. if like i you've read the Agreement, from the notes you took you'll be familiar that Under Clause 104, Article 184. The UK will be locked into the EU's Defence policy and institutions. policies that will be run in the sole interest of the EU, not the UK. the UK would be answerable to the EU courts, and EU laws will still supersede ours, this raises all sorts of important questions. but hey, you fiddle with the irrelevant and worry about Darren from Plymouth.

So the option is to just let them do it? Because Brexit means Britain leaves Europe to the Germans and the French. You can’t stop an EU army from outside the EU.

50 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So the option is to just let them do it? Because Brexit means Britain leaves Europe to the Germans and the French. You can’t stop an EU army from outside the EU.

Here im concerned for the interest of and the implications for the UK especially under the WA.

once we are out whatever the EU does is up to them.

55 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

This is going to be fun to watch, because the French people would Kick Off if the Germans were top dog , Wow . And we wouldn't be going in to help the French as we have done in History . 

Oh dear. It is rather all falling apart for the no deal backers, isn't it? 

Boris Johnson’s suspension of the UK Parliament is unlawful, Scotland’s highest civil court has ruled.

Https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymieing Parliament", and that he had therefore misled the Queen

As i said: traitor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

Oh dear. It is rather all falling apart for the no deal backers, isn't it? 

Https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

As i said: traitor. 

Best of three, don't know why you do this to yourself.

for ten points why did they choose to go through the Scottish courts instead of English one.

It'll now go to the supreme court and all found to be legal and correct.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

It'll now go to the supreme court and all found to be legal and correct.

More than likely, but but it would be interesting to see what unfolds if they decided the PM deliberately misled the Queen. that would be an interesting constitutional issue.

do they still have the Tower?

Edited by RAyMO

forgot to add, MP's had the chance to oust Boris but never did for tactical reasons. - now they claim through the courts Boris prorogued Parliament for tactical reasons.when the supreme court looks at the case and Geoff Cox presents the Govt case the Govt will be found legal.

What makes me laugh, the MP;s say they want to debate Brexit, they've been doing that for 3 years. they just took 6 weeks holiday. they could have cancelled their holidays. now its conference season so 3 weeks away from Parliament and 2 weeks Prorogued.

2 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

More than likely, but but it would be interesting to see what unfolds if they decided the PM deliberately misled the Queen. that would be an interesting constitutional issue.

do they still have the Tower?

have you seen the shenanigans that's gone on, people briefing against and using the services of a foreign Govts behind the back of Her Majesty's Govt if we could still send people to the tower there would be no room left, - it would be full of remainers, such as Theresa May, Olly Robins, Dominic Grieve, Hilary Benn, Philip Hammond, the Anna Soubrys of this world etc...

• Like 1