Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Total Recall' could soon become a reality

UM-Bot

According to the team's findings, the implanted memories were indistinguishable from a memory created through normal means.

..And they established this how exactly.. was Dr. Doolittle involved at some stage?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'm all for it. I'd love to remember the time I spent in the log cabin with Christie Brinkley, driving a Muira through the Swiss Alps and spending a year loafing around on a yacht. Oh, and scoring that winning goal in a cup final.

Yep, I'm all for it. 

• Haha 6

From what I red they just duplicated some brain circuits that correspond with memory usage. How is that equal to duplicating a memory? I read nothing about them proving to have created a duplicate memory.

Last time I checked, you have no way to physically see, hear, or experience any memories of any creature as if they were your own and therefor you cannot say you have "implanted a memory". Not unless you hide a piece of cheese in a scent proof container and have the mice find it in the first go, change its locations and have it repeat this in the second time hidden from all of it's 5 sense. 

Until you proof that, you've implanted nothing other than a replica of the physical components for a certain group type of memories into the brain, but not into the mind.

You have no clue whats going on in its mind all you understand is whats going on in its brain (there's a difference) 

All they know is what they saw and all they saw is the brain activity after implanting the duplicated brain circuit to the with certain memories.

All you have, is an understanding of what part of the brain does what, but the mind is a bit more complicated than that. So complicated that they cannot be studied compared to other minds like physical objects are studied compared to other of its kind. they can only be studied in a way as if they are one of a kind which they are, all totally unique. 

If duplicating a part of the brain is equivalent to duplicating past perceptions of the mind and thous past experiences of the consciousness. Then if I made a perfect 3d copy of my brain with a futuristic 3d printer that would copy everything down to the microscopic scale, that it too would have all my memories implanted- (created in this case)-into it. 

But you know it wouldn't, because despite being a perfect physical replica. It has not perceived or experienced the things I have.

At the end, all you did was make a copy of the physical, it's still just an empty memory. a vessel for a memory to be there that isn't. You just think it is. In a sense the title fits this article well. "Scientists report that they have successfully implanted a false memory"

Edited by It's Just An Opinion
It deleted over half my comment again.

27 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

From what I red they just duplicated some brain circuits that correspond with memory usage. How is that equal to duplicating a memory? I read nothing about them proving to have created a duplicate memory.

Last time I checked, you have no way to physically see, hear, or experience any memories of any creature as if they were your own and therefor you cannot say you have "implanted a memory". Not unless you hide a piece of cheese in a scent proof container and have the mice find it in the first go, change its locations and have it repeat this in the second time hidden from all of it's 5 sense. 

Until you proof that, you've implanted nothing other than a replica of the physical components for a certain group type of memories into the brain, but not into the mind.

You have no clue whats going on in its mind all you understand is whats going on in its brain (there's a difference) 

All they know is what they saw and all they saw is the brain activity after implanting the duplicated brain circuit to the with certain memories.

All you have, is an understanding of what part of the brain does what, but the mind is a bit more complicated than that. So complicated that they cannot be studied compared to other minds like physical objects are studied compared to other of its kind. they can only be studied in a way as if they are one of a kind which they are, all totally unique. 

If duplicating a part of the brain is equivalent to duplicating past perceptions of the mind and thous past experiences of the consciousness. Then if I made a perfect 3d copy of my brain with a futuristic 3d printer that would copy everything down to the microscopic scale, that it too would have all my memories implanted- (created in this case)-into it. 

But you know it wouldn't, because despite being a perfect physical replica. It has not perceived or experienced the things I have.

At the end, all you did was make a copy of the physical, it's still just an empty memory. a vessel for a memory to be there that isn't. You just think it is. In a sense the title fits this article well. "Scientists report that they have successfully implanted a false memory"

From what I'd heard, they hid a piece of cheese in a scent proof container and had the mice find it in the first go, changed its locations and had it repeat this in the second time hidden from all of it's 5 sense.

• Haha 1

This kind of thing might be useful for helping some severely traumatized people get on with their lives. But it wouldn't work Total Recall style, I mean, you'd remember going to Recall to have a fake luxury sex vacation implanted.

Not to mention all the evil such a technique could do if done to implant specific false memories designed to totally mess with people and/or fundamentally change their belief systems and public opinions...

Speaking of evil, the espionage industry would be all over it, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seti42 said:

This kind of thing might be useful for helping some severely traumatized people get on with their lives. But it wouldn't work Total Recall style, I mean, you'd remember going to Recall to have a fake luxury sex vacation implanted.

Not to mention all the evil such a technique could do if done to implant specific false memories designed to totally mess with people and/or fundamentally change their belief systems and public opinions...

Speaking of evil, the espionage industry would be all over it, too.

It could be extremely useful for severely traumatised people absolutely.  

However, it could be used for bad....very, very BAD. And people would be none the wiser.  Scary.

• Like 2

:D Yeah, or learning martial arts.. OR.. or curling!

Only side effect: you could find yourself suddenly a Manchurian Candidate.. or experiencing MPD. Youll be your very own dr Janus!

south-park-s15e06c07-good-night-butters-

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, pixiii said:

It could be extremely useful for severely traumatised people absolutely.  

However, it could be used for bad....very, very BAD. And people would be none the wiser.  Scary.

I would love to erase parts of my own memory.....or reboot it hmmm..

• Like 1

Raises lots of questions. Slightly off topic but,

For one should something be punished for a crime they have no memory of doing :mellow:

• Sad 1

On 8/29/2019 at 7:41 AM, Golden Duck said:

Could you use it for reading books or learning?

or something equally preposterous, like being happy and contented?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I still remember when me and all my family used to gather at the table and drink the new coca cola orange with no sugar and lots of vitamins essential for a fat free diet.

Ah childhood memories.