Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

3.8 million-year-old hominin skull unearthed

Nnicolette

If you cant tell which is the ancestor then im guessing this is just a random guess? Ill put my money on both. We are hybrids.

• Like 2

Piney
7 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

If you cant tell which is the ancestor then im guessing this is just a random guess? Ill put my money on both. We are hybrids.

There was a lot of crossing and back breeding between different species of hominid in Africa.....I just can't find the damn paper. 

• Like 3

Golden Duck

I liked this part of a story I heard yesterday morning.

Dr Haile-Selassie, a world authority on ancient human evolution at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, was on a dig at Woranso-Mille in the Afar region of Ethiopia in 2016 when he was approached by the local herdsman.

The man had walked 3 kilometres from where he was camped with his family to show Dr Haile-Selassie a jawbone he'd picked up from the ground while tending to his goats on the harsh, rocky plateau.

Dr Haile-Selassie returned to the site with the man, who pointed out where the fossil came from.

"About 3 metres away from where the upper jaw was found the whole cranium was sitting there," he recalled.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-08-29/ancient-fossil-skull-found-in-ethiopia-fills-human-evolution-gap/11444130

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tom1200
8 hours ago, Piney said:

There was a lot of crossing and back breeding between different species of hominid in Africa.....I just can't find the damn paper. 

If you can't find your papers you might be deported, back to where your ancestors came from.  Croydon, south-east London.  It's officially the centre of the universe and where intelligent life first appeared.  I'll have a pint waiting for you at The Jolly Leper.

And anyway - speak for yourself.  There is very little cross-dressing in my ancestry, and certainly no breeding.

AlphaGeek

Looks much like any other ape/monkey skull to me.

Manwon Lender
On 8/29/2019 at 7:58 PM, UM-Bot said:

The remarkable discovery has reignited the debate over which hominim species gave rise to modern humans.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/330040/38-million-year-old-hominin-skull-unearthed

I suspect these debates will never end. Not that they are bad for the scientific community but because they don't solve the problem. I really don't think with the limited evidence available that this should even be an issue. I think that egos get involved which only take away from the issue. 

At this point I doubt we will ever know which was our ancestor, because as soon as we think we have solved the issue the next discover will change everything again.

C L Palmer

I think we assume quite a bit from what we find. Assuming the theory of evolution is sound, the odds against us finding a direct human ancestor species are minimal in the fossil record. If evolution is indeed completely random, there should be infinite evolutionary trails leading away from the current human species, cousins perhaps but not direct ancestors. Even then, we are making assumptions based on a perceived resemblance, which is my problem with assigning genus and species names to fossils in general. So much of taxonomy is ultimately guesswork, and fossil taxonomy is even worse--especially with incomplete specimens. (I know some people will take umbrage to the term guesswork, but an educated guess is still ultimately a guess.)