Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How slavery built Wall Street

Eldorado

"This month marks 400 years since enslaved Africans were first brought to what is now the United States of America. Slavery was officially abolished in the US in 1865, but historians say the legacy of slavery cannot be untangled from its economic impact.

"On a hot August day, 25 people are gathered around a small commemorative sign in New York's financial district. Their tour guide explains that this was the site of one of the US' largest slave markets.

"Just two streets away from the current site of the New York Stock Exchange, men, women and children were bought and sold."

Full article at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49476247

"To raise the money to start, many future plantation owners turned to capital markets in London - selling debt that was used to purchase boats, goods and eventually people."

• Like 4

Some years ago i was sure that slavery was kinda thing of those very, very old times. 1500's etc and before that. Especially after school education where books were more concerned about shipping from Africa than about horrors done to people.

1865 was yesterday, relatively.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Some years ago i was sure that slavery was kinda thing of those very, very old times. 1500's etc and before that. Especially after school education where books were more concerned about shipping from Africa than about horrors done to people.

1865 was yesterday, relatively.

Slavery is alive and well in the world today.  In fact, human trafficking is one of the major components of the tragedy on our southern border.  Go figure... you'd think more people would be enraged about that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, and then said:

Slavery is alive and well in the world today.  In fact, human trafficking is one of the major components of the tragedy on our southern border.  Go figure... you'd think more people would be enraged about that.

Indeed.  Did you know it wasn't illegal until the year 2000?

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/what-human-trafficking/federal-law

Human evolution is really slow.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, and then said:

Human cruelty has no boundaries nor does it end. Just take a look at Libya man :( And people say Gaddafi was bad. There are cases of abduction of teenagers who then get forced to do all sorts of work, even abduction by young families, imagine the sickness.

All across my region and i guess all across the world. It's happening. Then there is sex slavery which someone ''smart'' described as crime or prostitution... There is slavery, i agree and as long as our moral and human values are degraded it will increase instead of decrease.

As long as we continue to turn blind eye to other people's suffering, for whatever the reason - we won't improve nor shall we even get near that beautiful story of Federation in Star Trek and it's values.

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

wow man that's just sick. We are devolving actually or is it that definitions have changed and by doing bad we think that we are making progress?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Oh my, no I didn't.  Gosh that's terrible isn't it. :(

15 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

wow man that's just sick. We are devolving actually or is it that definitions have changed and by doing bad we think that we are making progress?

Isn't it awful.  I really don't think any leaders have any idea what they're doing at the moment to be quite honest.  The world is in a mess. :( 

• Like 2

Reading about slavery i just came across this picture :

General knowledge about slavery is really low, this would not happen otherwise.