Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon warriors take on invading loggers

Eldorado

"Threatened by fire, deforestation and invasion, the Xikrin people of the northern Amazon are fighting back.

"While the authorities stand idle and the Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, tries to undermine their territorial rights, the indigenous community have taken matters into their own hands by expelling the loggers and ranchers who illegally occupied their land and set fire to the forest.

"Armed with rifles and wooden batons, groups of Xikrin warriors have swept through their extensive territory in the state of Pará over the past week."

Full article at the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/29/xikrin-people-fight-back-against-amazon-land-grabbing

And similar at Folha de Sao Paulo: https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/brazil/2019/08/xikrin-indians-use-force-to-take-back-their-land-from-land-grabbers.shtml

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I wish I was still active and in the game... Good on them and I wish I could support them with manpower.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I wish I was still active and in the game... Good on them and I wish I could support them with manpower.

You know who you'd send with the Gurkha......and I wouldn't even ask travel expenses. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

You know who you'd send with the Gurkha......and I wouldn't even ask travel expenses. :devil:

Side by Side bro.... I know I wouldn't even need to ask you x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unless they get help, it may not end well.  Bolsanaro  will mobilize the army to help the loggers.  He favors exploitation and utilization in his policy statements.

Does it remind anybody else  of  every other colony in the New World over the last 500 years? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

In the US, most logging trespass is simply a case of not knowing where the property line is.  I suspect there's a lot of that involved with the Brazilian situation, too.  Landowners need to clearly mark their property lines so that acidental trespass cannot occur.

If the line is unmarked, damages are limited to the stumpage price of the timber removed; it's a civil case. But if the lines were clearly marked, it becomes theft and is subject to criminal prosecution.

Doug